HP Linux laptop nx5000 no longer available; what (MS-free) Linux laptop? - Portable

This is a discussion on HP Linux laptop nx5000 no longer available; what (MS-free) Linux laptop? - Portable ; I noticed at the HP Web site that the HP nx5000 Linux Suse 9.1 laptop is no longer available. Can you recommend an alternative Linux laptop, a laptop that has never had an MS operating system or other MS software ...

  1. HP Linux laptop nx5000 no longer available; what (MS-free) Linux laptop?

    I noticed at the HP Web site that the HP nx5000 Linux Suse 9.1 laptop
    is no longer available.

    Can you recommend an alternative Linux laptop, a laptop that has never
    had an MS operating system or other MS software installed ? (I don't
    want to buy a laptop that has already paid a license fee to MS.)

    My favorite applications are listening to radio over the Internet, VOIP
    phone calls, playing/burning CDs and DVDs, loading and unloading
    digital photos, e-mail, Web browsing (wireless nice but not essential),
    Python progrmamming, etc.

    Thank you for sharing your experiences, recommendations.

  2. Re: HP Linux laptop nx5000 no longer available; what (MS-free) Linux laptop?

    edpurcell@gmail.com wrote:

    > I noticed at the HP Web site that the HP nx5000 Linux Suse 9.1 laptop
    > is no longer available.
    >
    > Can you recommend an alternative Linux laptop, a laptop that has never
    > had an MS operating system or other MS software installed ? (I don't
    > want to buy a laptop that has already paid a license fee to MS.)
    >
    > My favorite applications are listening to radio over the Internet, VOIP
    > phone calls, playing/burning CDs and DVDs, loading and unloading
    > digital photos, e-mail, Web browsing (wireless nice but not essential),
    > Python progrmamming, etc.
    >
    > Thank you for sharing your experiences, recommendations.

    Not surprising - u could buy better equipped laptops ( esp AMD64 chips,
    ATI/Nvidia graphics instead of onboard inhell) for 1/2 the price ( around
    1500 or more), if you went with averatec or someone.

    Like dell, ibm etal, hp 'offered' the linux laptop just to 'prove' that
    there is no demand for linux. Tucked away somewhere on their website and
    advertizing/recommending xpee ( practically warning against using lunux) if
    you DID venture there, HP wasn't clearly trying to sell linux. Not to
    mention, you couldn't get the cheapest version of the laptop with linux.

+ Reply to Thread