Best Linux for the IBM T42 Thinkpad? - Portable

This is a discussion on Best Linux for the IBM T42 Thinkpad? - Portable ; Greetings, I ordered a new IBM T42 Thinkpad today for myself, which I am planning to load Linux on. Is there any particular version of Linux that works best with the T Series IBM Thinkpad? I was thinking of loading ...

  1. Best Linux for the IBM T42 Thinkpad?

    Greetings,

    I ordered a new IBM T42 Thinkpad today for myself, which I am planning to
    load Linux on. Is there any particular version of Linux that works best
    with the T Series IBM Thinkpad? I was thinking of loading SUSE 9.2.

    Thanks for those that respond.

    Jeff

  2. Re: Best Linux for the IBM T42 Thinkpad?

    Jeff wrote:
    > I ordered a new IBM T42 Thinkpad today for myself, which I am planning to
    > load Linux on. Is there any particular version of Linux that works best
    > with the T Series IBM Thinkpad? I was thinking of loading SUSE 9.2.

    I've got Ubuntu on my T20 now, works great. Prior to that, i had
    Mandrake 9 and 10 on there, which worked great too. Even tried Mepis for
    a few weeks, pretty great too.

    --
    When you say: "I wrote a program that crashed Windows",
    people just stare at you blankly and say: "Hey, I got those

  3. Re: Best Linux for the IBM T42 Thinkpad?

    Jeff wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I ordered a new IBM T42 Thinkpad today for myself, which I am planning to
    > load Linux on. Is there any particular version of Linux that works best
    > with the T Series IBM Thinkpad? I was thinking of loading SUSE 9.2.

    I use SuSE 9.2 on my R31. Previously, I had 9.1 and Red Hat 7.3.

  4. Re: Best Linux for the IBM T42 Thinkpad?

    In article news:, Jeff
    wrote:
    > Is there any particular version of Linux that works best
    > with the T Series IBM Thinkpad?

    According to
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...GR-48NT8D.html IBM
    certify Red Hat EWS 3 and SuSE 9.1 for the T42.

    > I was thinking of loading SUSE 9.2.

    If 9.1 is certified I don't imagine you'd have any problem with
    9.2.

    Thinkpads -- especially the newer ones -- are pretty
    linux-friendly as laptops go. Good choice.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  5. Re: Best Linux for the IBM T42 Thinkpad?

    James Knott writes:
    > > I ordered a new IBM T42 Thinkpad today for myself, which I am planning to
    > > load Linux on. Is there any particular version of Linux that works best
    > > with the T Series IBM Thinkpad? I was thinking of loading SUSE 9.2.

    > I use SuSE 9.2 on my R31. Previously, I had 9.1 and Red Hat 7.3.

    I'm using Fedora Core 3 on my X40 which is pretty similar to a T40, I
    think. I got a DVD distribution from cheapbytes.com (was too lazy to
    download it). It self-booted and auto-installed quite easily from a
    USB2 external dvd drive. It was a much faster install than the
    earlier multi-cd installations I'd done.

+ Reply to Thread