LILO Problem (mndrk 10.0) - Portable

This is a discussion on LILO Problem (mndrk 10.0) - Portable ; Hi, I ve just installed Linux-Mandrake 10.0 on a laptop (Centrino, 512 RAM, 93 Go HD...) and I ve encountered a major problem at the starting. LILO doesn't seem to work, it only prints "L" and then nothing happens. It ...

  1. LILO Problem (mndrk 10.0)

    Hi,

    I ve just installed Linux-Mandrake 10.0 on a laptop (Centrino, 512 RAM,
    93 Go HD...) and I ve encountered a major problem at the starting.

    LILO doesn't seem to work, it only prints "L" and then nothing happens. It
    is really annoying cause I can't access XP anymore ...

    Thank you for any help you could provide.

  2. Re: LILO Problem (mndrk 10.0)

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:55:48 +0200, Jug wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I ve just installed Linux-Mandrake 10.0 on a laptop (Centrino, 512 RAM,
    > 93 Go HD...) and I ve encountered a major problem at the starting.
    >
    > LILO doesn't seem to work, it only prints "L" and then nothing happens. It
    > is really annoying cause I can't access XP anymore ...
    >
    > Thank you for any help you could provide.

    I can only offer a little advice by asking questions
    (answers like "I don't know" are not usefull)

    (1) towards the end of install where did you tell it to install the Lilo
    boot loader to ? Was it the MBR of the primary (first) Hard Drive ?

    (2) Do you have a bootable XP CD ? you know you can restor the Windows
    boot loader with it.

    (3) further to (2) above [eg. restor XP) you could then try a re-install
    of Mandrake (over writing the previous) - BUT - this time at the VERY
    FIRST splash screen hit the F1 key (its written at bottem) and then type
    the word
    expert
    And then press Enter
    NOTE: using the "expert" method is not very hard, so do not be afrade to
    use it - BUT - by using expert you have much more control of the
    installation AND will be able to ensure that the Lilo bootloader gets
    installed to the MBR of the primary (first) Hard Drive (typically known as
    /dev/hda ) and not get installed to any Logical Partitions that are within
    a Extended partition.

    NOTE: usually installing almost any Linux distro will give you the option
    to setup Multi-boot with Win/Linux - some like MDK can do it almost
    automatically - some other distros require that you select this option

    PS: if you have not found it yet ? a much better place to as spacific
    questions about Mandrake are :- alt.os.linux.mandrake

    Best of luck, yours John (using MDK since v.6.0 upto v.10.1)

  3. Re: LILO Problem (mndrk 10.0)

    "John Coombes" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.04.06.04.03.21.786147@anitspammers.com...
    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:55:48 +0200, Jug wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I ve just installed Linux-Mandrake 10.0 on a laptop (Centrino, 512 RAM,
    >> 93 Go HD...) and I ve encountered a major problem at the starting.
    >>
    >> LILO doesn't seem to work, it only prints "L" and then nothing happens.
    >> It
    >> is really annoying cause I can't access XP anymore ...
    >>
    >> Thank you for any help you could provide.

    > I can only offer a little advice by asking questions
    > (answers like "I don't know" are not usefull)
    >
    > (1) towards the end of install where did you tell it to install the Lilo
    > boot loader to ? Was it the MBR of the primary (first) Hard Drive ?
    >
    > (2) Do you have a bootable XP CD ? you know you can restor the Windows
    > boot loader with it.
    >
    > (3) further to (2) above [eg. restor XP) you could then try a re-install
    > of Mandrake (over writing the previous) - BUT - this time at the VERY
    > FIRST splash screen hit the F1 key (its written at bottem) and then type
    > the word
    > expert
    > And then press Enter
    > NOTE: using the "expert" method is not very hard, so do not be afrade to
    > use it - BUT - by using expert you have much more control of the
    > installation AND will be able to ensure that the Lilo bootloader gets
    > installed to the MBR of the primary (first) Hard Drive (typically known as
    > /dev/hda ) and not get installed to any Logical Partitions that are within
    > a Extended partition.
    >
    > NOTE: usually installing almost any Linux distro will give you the option
    > to setup Multi-boot with Win/Linux - some like MDK can do it almost
    > automatically - some other distros require that you select this option
    >
    > PS: if you have not found it yet ? a much better place to as spacific
    > questions about Mandrake are :- alt.os.linux.mandrake
    >
    > Best of luck, yours John (using MDK since v.6.0 upto v.10.1)

    (1) MBR
    (2) Actually I did restore XP (repair option) with my CD (I don t know how
    to restore the Boot Loader) :
    2.1 Most of the files were saved (Postgre doesn t work anymore)
    2.1 This morning XP doesn t seem to work again (black screen)
    (3) I will do that this time

    (4) My XP CD seems only to work when the whole HD is allowed to XP, I had to
    delete Linux partitions and reextend the Windows one to restore ...

    Thx for your help

+ Reply to Thread