enhanced speedstep - how to get it working - Portable

This is a discussion on enhanced speedstep - how to get it working - Portable ; I have a mobile Pentium 4 (538) 1mb L2 cache supposedly with enhanced speedstep technology. how how do i get it working? I want to lower frequency AND voltage. ive tried cpudyn, powernowd, and just cant seem to get it ...

  1. enhanced speedstep - how to get it working

    I have a mobile Pentium 4 (538) 1mb L2 cache supposedly with enhanced
    speedstep technology. how how do i get it working? I want to lower
    frequency AND voltage. ive tried cpudyn, powernowd, and just cant seem
    to get it working. Im using kernel 2.6.11 and here is part of my
    config:# CPU Frequency scaling
    #
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
    # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
    # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS is not set
    # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
    CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y

    #
    # CPUFreq processor drivers
    #
    CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
    # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K6 is not set
    # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K7 is not set
    # CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8 is not set
    # CONFIG_X86_GX_SUSPMOD is not set
    CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=y
    CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI=y
    CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_TABLE=y
    CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_ICH=y
    # CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_SMI is not set
    CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m
    # CONFIG_X86_CPUFREQ_NFORCE2 is not set
    # CONFIG_X86_LONGRUN is not set
    # CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL is not set

    #
    # shared options
    #
    # CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
    CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=y

    Im lost and confused.
    Thanks for any help,
    Paul
    --
    Paul Johnson
    Graduate Student - Mechanical Engineering

    Reclaim Your Inbox!

  2. Re: enhanced speedstep - how to get it working

    Paul wrote:
    > I have a mobile Pentium 4 (538) 1mb L2 cache supposedly with enhanced
    > speedstep technology. how how do i get it working? I want to lower
    > frequency AND voltage. ive tried cpudyn, powernowd, and just cant seem
    > to get it working. Im using kernel 2.6.11 and here is part of my
    > config: [ ... ]
    >
    > #
    > # CPUFreq processor drivers
    > #
    > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m

    Did you modprobe the resulting module ?

    Before you set up cpudyn or powernowd you might want to try the
    low-level interface under /sys/devices/system/cpu/*/cpufreq/ .
    (If the pseudo-files aren't there, it's a sure sign that you didn't
    modprobe your module).

    The Gentoo people documented this (and more) at
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml . The full
    document is of course specific to their distribution, but the short
    part about the /sys interface is determined by the kernel, hence
    identical on all distributions.

    You may also want to look at /var/log/dmesg (or the equivalent on
    your distribution). Mine says:

    powernow: PowerNOW! Technology present. Can scale: frequency and voltage.

    I mention this because the /sys/ interface uses only frequency,
    not voltage. However, because of the dmesg I believe that the
    voltage is automatically reduced at the lower cpu frequencies.

    --
    pa at panix dot com

  3. Re: enhanced speedstep - how to get it working

    Pierre Asselin wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >>I have a mobile Pentium 4 (538) 1mb L2 cache supposedly with enhanced
    >>speedstep technology. how how do i get it working? I want to lower
    >>frequency AND voltage. ive tried cpudyn, powernowd, and just cant seem
    >>to get it working. Im using kernel 2.6.11 and here is part of my
    >>config: [ ... ]
    >>
    >>#
    >># CPUFreq processor drivers
    >>#
    >>CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m

    > Did you modprobe the resulting module ?
    >
    > Before you set up cpudyn or powernowd you might want to try the
    > low-level interface under /sys/devices/system/cpu/*/cpufreq/ .
    > (If the pseudo-files aren't there, it's a sure sign that you didn't
    > modprobe your module).
    >
    > The Gentoo people documented this (and more) at
    > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml . The full
    > document is of course specific to their distribution, but the short
    > part about the /sys interface is determined by the kernel, hence
    > identical on all distributions.
    >
    > You may also want to look at /var/log/dmesg (or the equivalent on
    > your distribution). Mine says:
    >
    > powernow: PowerNOW! Technology present. Can scale: frequency and voltage.
    >
    > I mention this because the /sys/ interface uses only frequency,
    > not voltage. However, because of the dmesg I believe that the
    > voltage is automatically reduced at the lower cpu frequencies.

    I do have the /sys interface files. In the file scaling_driver there is
    p4-clockmod listed. I run dmesg and this is what I get:

    p4-clockmod: P4/Xeon(TM) CPU On-Demand Clock Modulation available

    I want the speedstep-centrino wroking that modifies the voltage also. I
    have some screenshots of what im talking about. Under Windows the
    voltage decreases as shown here:
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/redboots/files/...e_throttle.jpg

    With fullpower the voltage and frequency are at their max.
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/redboots/files/no_throttle.jpg

    And there are only two voltages and frequencies.
    I just thought of something, if I compile the kernel with Pentium M
    supprt and not Pentium4 support do you think it would work?

    --
    Paul Johnson
    Graduate Student - Mechanical Engineering
    University of Florida - Gainesville, Fl
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/redboots

    Reclaim Your Inbox!

  4. Re: enhanced speedstep - how to get it working

    Paul wrote:
    > Pierre Asselin wrote:
    > > Paul wrote:
    > >
    > >>I have a mobile Pentium 4 (538) 1mb L2 cache supposedly with enhanced
    > >>speedstep technology. [ ... ]

    > [ ... ]
    > >>CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m

    > [ ... ]
    > I do have the /sys interface files. In the file scaling_driver there is
    > p4-clockmod listed. I run dmesg and this is what I get:

    > p4-clockmod: P4/Xeon(TM) CPU On-Demand Clock Modulation available

    Okay, you seem to have two low-level cpufreq drivers enabled:
    X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ as a module, and X86_P4_CLOCKMOD, either as a
    module or built-in. You are in fact using X86_P4_CLOCKMOD.
    According to the dmesg, it is at least partially working.

    If your P4_CLOCKMOD is in as a module, you can try to "modprobe -r"
    it and later modprobe the ACPI_CPUFREQ module. I don't know what
    the module names are, you'll have to guess by looking under
    /lib/modules.

    > I want the speedstep-centrino wroking that modifies the voltage also.

    But you don't have a Centrino, you say you have a P4. The Centrino
    is a marketing brand that represents a Pentium M (not mobile P4) plus a
    specific chipset plus a specific wireless card. What does
    /proc/cpuinfo contain ?

    The Intel website uses the phrase "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep" with
    both processors, but it's hard to say if they're the same thing ...

    > I just thought of something, if I compile the kernel with Pentium M
    > supprt and not Pentium4 support do you think it would work?

    See above. Well, you could try
    X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
    X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m
    X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=m
    X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_TABLE=y
    to compile as modules all the drivers that have a chance, modprobe
    them in and out one by one, and keep the one that works best.

    Note that even if you find the right module and your CPU voltage
    is controlled, Linux may not show that to you. At least, I don't
    see a way to read the voltage on my unit.

    --
    pa at panix dot com

  5. Re: enhanced speedstep - how to get it working

    Pierre Asselin wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    >
    >>Pierre Asselin wrote:

    >>[ ... ]

    >>[ ... ]
    >>I do have the /sys interface files. In the file scaling_driver there is
    >>p4-clockmod listed. I run dmesg and this is what I get:

    >>p4-clockmod: P4/Xeon(TM) CPU On-Demand Clock Modulation available

    > Okay, you seem to have two low-level cpufreq drivers enabled:
    > X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ as a module, and X86_P4_CLOCKMOD, either as a
    > module or built-in. You are in fact using X86_P4_CLOCKMOD.
    > According to the dmesg, it is at least partially working.
    >
    > If your P4_CLOCKMOD is in as a module, you can try to "modprobe -r"
    > it and later modprobe the ACPI_CPUFREQ module. I don't know what
    > the module names are, you'll have to guess by looking under
    > /lib/modules.
    >

    >>I want the speedstep-centrino wroking that modifies the voltage also.

    > But you don't have a Centrino, you say you have a P4. The Centrino
    > is a marketing brand that represents a Pentium M (not mobile P4) plus a
    > specific chipset plus a specific wireless card. What does
    > /proc/cpuinfo contain ?
    >
    > The Intel website uses the phrase "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep" with
    > both processors, but it's hard to say if they're the same thing ...
    >

    >>I just thought of something, if I compile the kernel with Pentium M
    >>supprt and not Pentium4 support do you think it would work?

    > See above. Well, you could try
    > X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
    > X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=m
    > X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO=m
    > X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_TABLE=y
    > to compile as modules all the drivers that have a chance, modprobe
    > them in and out one by one, and keep the one that works best.
    >
    > Note that even if you find the right module and your CPU voltage
    > is controlled, Linux may not show that to you. At least, I don't
    > see a way to read the voltage on my unit.

    Ok, I guess Im just really confused about everything. Sorry. Im
    confused about the low level kernel cpufreq drivers. I tried reading
    the kernel documentation but its a little above me at this moment. For
    my mobile P4, do I just need acpi-cpufreq or speedstep-ich? From there
    Ill compile what I need and not anything extra. p4-clockmod is
    definately not what Im looking for, only changes frequency.
    Thanks
    Paul

    --
    Paul Johnson
    Graduate Student - Mechanical Engineering
    University of Florida - Gainesville, Fl
    http://plaza.ufl.edu/redboots

    Reclaim Your Inbox!

  6. Re: enhanced speedstep - how to get it working

    Paul wrote:

    > Ok, I guess Im just really confused about everything. Sorry. Im
    > confused about the low level kernel cpufreq drivers. I tried reading
    > the kernel documentation but its a little above me at this moment. For
    > my mobile P4, do I just need acpi-cpufreq or speedstep-ich? From there
    > Ill compile what I need and not anything extra. p4-clockmod is
    > definately not what Im looking for, only changes frequency.

    How can you tell that it's not changing the voltage?

    It is confusing. Like I said, compile them all as modules and try
    them one by one, watching the dmesg output as you modprobe them in
    and out. One or more of the modules might say "Hi, I can change
    the frequency and the voltage". Note that as far as I know the
    kernel has no interface to tell you the voltage, unlike for the
    frequency.

    Of those drivers, the ACPI_CPUFREQ should be processor-independent.
    This is because ACPI provides a standardized interface to power and
    performance management. The vendor is supposed to supply subroutines
    that work on their processor/chipset/whatever and Linux will be
    able to call them.

    --
    pa at panix dot com

+ Reply to Thread