Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions) - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions) - Portable ; If money is no object, I'd get the 15" PB and max out the RAM. Although 12" is cool, there are many sits I may not anticipate now when extra screen space would be valuable....

  1. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    If money is no object, I'd get the 15" PB and max out the RAM. Although
    12" is cool, there are many sits I may not anticipate now when extra
    screen space would be valuable.

  2. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    > If money is no object, I'd get the 15" PB and max out the RAM.

    Although

    I don't want the 15", it's too physically big. 1024x768 is a good
    resolution for what I do.

  3. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 9:17:23 -0800, larwe@larwe.com wrote
    (in message <1111598243.819038.55810@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>):

    >> If money is no object, I'd get the 15" PB and max out the RAM.

    > Although
    >
    > I don't want the 15", it's too physically big. 1024x768 is a good
    > resolution for what I do.

    The stock HD speed on the iB is 4200 vs. 5400 on the pb. As you are talking
    about a 50% greater access speed, the 5400 is really nice. 2nd monitor is
    also really nice for the times when you want to add more desktop space. Use
    the laptop screen for palettes/dock, and a second monitor for your document
    window.

    Steve

  4. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    Steve writes:

    > The stock HD speed on the iB is 4200 vs. 5400 on the pb. As you are
    > talking about a 50% greater access speed, the 5400 is really
    > nice. 2nd monitor is also really nice for the times when you want
    > to add more desktop space. Use the laptop screen for palettes/dock,
    > and a second monitor for your document window.

    Is the second monitor support at the hardware or suftware level? The
    OP will not be running OS X (or maybe dual-booting?).

    --
    David Magda , http://www.magda.ca/

  5. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    Steve wrote:

    > The stock HD speed on the iB is 4200 vs. 5400 on the pb. As you are

    talking
    > about a 50% greater access speed, the 5400 is really nice. 2nd

    monitor is
    > also really nice for the times when you want to add more desktop

    space. Use

    The HD speed difference might be nice, but guys please trust me - I do
    not need and will never use dual monitor support. My current laptop has
    it. My previous two laptops had it as well. I have lots of monitors
    around; in fact I have two 17" LCD monitors on one desk, and three 17"
    and one 10.4" LCD monitor on my workbench. I just don't use dual
    monitors.

  6. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    David Magda wrote:

    > Is the second monitor support at the hardware or suftware level? The
    > OP will not be running OS X (or maybe dual-booting?).

    The software can't support it unless the hardware does too - if the
    hardware doesn't support a separate framebuffer area for the VGA out,
    then there's nothing software can do.

    Multiple monitors are supported in Linux (Xinerama) but like I keep
    saying: I don't use the feature. Absolutely, positively, I don't use it

  7. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:16:50 -0800, David Magda wrote
    (in message <86vf7i0zzh.fsf@number6.magda.ca>):

    > Steve writes:
    >
    >> The stock HD speed on the iB is 4200 vs. 5400 on the pb. As you are
    >> talking about a 50% greater access speed, the 5400 is really
    >> nice. 2nd monitor is also really nice for the times when you want
    >> to add more desktop space. Use the laptop screen for palettes/dock,
    >> and a second monitor for your document window.

    > Is the second monitor support at the hardware or suftware level? The
    > OP will not be running OS X (or maybe dual-booting?).

    Must be hardware.

    Steve

  8. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:00:47 -0800, larwe@larwe.com wrote
    (in message <1111622447.142227.198460@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>):

    > Steve wrote:
    >

    >> The stock HD speed on the iB is 4200 vs. 5400 on the pb. As you are

    > talking
    >> about a 50% greater access speed, the 5400 is really nice. 2nd

    > monitor is
    >> also really nice for the times when you want to add more desktop

    > space. Use
    >

    > The HD speed difference might be nice, but guys please trust me - I do
    > not need and will never use dual monitor support. My current laptop has
    > it. My previous two laptops had it as well. I have lots of monitors
    > around; in fact I have two 17" LCD monitors on one desk, and three 17"
    > and one 10.4" LCD monitor on my workbench. I just don't use dual
    > monitors.

    Just pointing out the differences so you can make an informed decision. I
    recently bumped an iBook from the stock 4200 rpm drive to a 5400 rpm, and the
    difference is noticable and nice.

    Steve

  9. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    In article <0001HW.BE688F3A0048E0D5F03865B0@newsgroups.comcast .net>,
    Steve wrote:

    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:16:50 -0800, David Magda wrote
    > (in message <86vf7i0zzh.fsf@number6.magda.ca>):
    >
    > > Steve writes:
    > >
    > >> The stock HD speed on the iB is 4200 vs. 5400 on the pb. As you are
    > >> talking about a 50% greater access speed, the 5400 is really
    > >> nice. 2nd monitor is also really nice for the times when you want
    > >> to add more desktop space. Use the laptop screen for palettes/dock,
    > >> and a second monitor for your document window.

    > > Is the second monitor support at the hardware or suftware level? The
    > > OP will not be running OS X (or maybe dual-booting?).
    > >

    > Must be hardware.

    I believe the hardware has the capability but third party software is
    required to enable the dual monitor mode.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

  10. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:13:44 -0800, Tom Stiller wrote
    (in message ):

    > In article <0001HW.BE688F3A0048E0D5F03865B0@newsgroups.comcast .net>,
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:16:50 -0800, David Magda wrote
    >> (in message <86vf7i0zzh.fsf@number6.magda.ca>):

    >>> Is the second monitor support at the hardware or suftware level? The
    >>> OP will not be running OS X (or maybe dual-booting?).
    >>>

    >> Must be hardware.

    > I believe the hardware has the capability but third party software is
    > required to enable the dual monitor mode.

    Possible. My logic was that an iBook will only do mirroring, while a
    PowerBook with the same OS will do dual monitor. I have never heard of any
    third party software that enables dual monitor. This of course does NOT mean
    that such software doesn't exist.

    Steve C.

  11. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    In article <0001HW.BE6997440086C328F03865B0@newsgroups.comcast .net>,
    Steve C. wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:13:44 -0800, Tom Stiller wrote
    > (in message ):
    >
    > > In article <0001HW.BE688F3A0048E0D5F03865B0@newsgroups.comcast .net>,
    > > Steve wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:16:50 -0800, David Magda wrote
    > >> (in message <86vf7i0zzh.fsf@number6.magda.ca>):

    > >> Must be hardware.

    > > I believe the hardware has the capability but third party software is
    > > required to enable the dual monitor mode.
    > >

    > Possible. My logic was that an iBook will only do mirroring, while a
    > PowerBook with the same OS will do dual monitor. I have never heard of any
    > third party software that enables dual monitor. This of course does NOT mean
    > that such software doesn't exist.

    Well, if you're running Mac OS X, rather than Linux, there's "Screen
    Spanning Doctor", available via VersionTracker.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

+ Reply to Thread