AMD64 based laptops that support Linux - Portable

This is a discussion on AMD64 based laptops that support Linux - Portable ; I'm possibily looking at running an AMD64 laptop (in 64-bit mode using X windows), and was wondering what laptops have the best support. In addition to 64-bit mode, I would want a graphics system that works with the current x.org ...

  1. AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    I'm possibily looking at running an AMD64 laptop (in 64-bit mode using X
    windows), and was wondering what laptops have the best support. In addition to
    64-bit mode, I would want a graphics system that works with the current x.org
    drivers for at least 2D support, a supported 802.11g in 64-bit mode (NDIS
    drivers and broadcomm chips need not apply), pcmcia/firewire/USB 2.0 support
    with at most minor tweaks to the config files. Modem support is not necessary.
    A working suspend mode would be nice as would support for replacing the CD/DVD
    with a second battery, but it is not a hard/fast requirement.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

  2. Re: AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    On 23 Mar 2005 08:41:43 -0500, Michael Meissner wrote:

    Too lazy to even post anything outside the subject line?
    That explains why you're too lazy to read the threads from the last two
    weeks where the very topic and power management was discussed.

  3. Re: AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:41:43 -0500, Michael Meissner wrote:

    > I'm possibily looking at running an AMD64 laptop (in 64-bit mode using X
    > windows), and was wondering what laptops have the best support. In addition to
    > 64-bit mode, I would want a graphics system that works with the current x.org
    > drivers for at least 2D support, a supported 802.11g in 64-bit mode (NDIS
    > drivers and broadcomm chips need not apply), pcmcia/firewire/USB 2.0 support
    > with at most minor tweaks to the config files. Modem support is not necessary.
    > A working suspend mode would be nice as would support for replacing the CD/DVD
    > with a second battery, but it is not a hard/fast requirement.

    Don't know if you can buy one that has a supported wireless card, your
    best bet is to buy a laptop without the wireless option and buy a third
    party card that has a supported chipset.

    There aren't a lot of AMD64 laptops. I have the Compaq R3000z with a
    3400+ and 1G of RAM. The Compaq uses the Broadcom chip but you can buy it
    without the wireless option. Fedora Core 3 in both 32 and 64 bit modes
    works fine. The Xorg drivers support the GeForce 440Go graphics
    although you have to edit the xorg.conf files by hand in order to get the
    1680x1050 display to work correctly, that's true of every laptop with a
    1680x1050 screen not just this one. The NVidia binary drivers also work
    and the performance is much better then with the Xorg drivers. I compiled
    my own kernel so that I would have the ondemand performance governor
    available, the FC3 64 bit kernels have the usermode governor but
    not the ondemand governor which is much nicer. The touch pad does not
    work out of the box. I don't know if it can be made to function, I hate
    touch pads so I've never tried to get it working, I use a real mouse. The
    winmodem also doesn't work, as far as I know this is hopeless. On those
    rare occasions when I've needed a modem I used an external modem connected
    through a Keyspan serial to USB adapter. Keyspan adapter drivers are built
    into the kernel so you don't have to do anything special to get them to
    work. I've never tried the firewire or the PCMCIA ports so I don't know if
    they work.

  4. Re: AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    General Schvantzkoph writes:
    > There aren't a lot of AMD64 laptops. I have the Compaq R3000z with a
    > 3400+ and 1G of RAM. The Compaq uses the Broadcom chip but you can buy it
    > without the wireless option.

    Oh cool, I hadn't heard you could buy the Compaq without the Broadcom.
    Is it a standard mini-PCI card inside? Apparently there's a Lucent card
    with the Orinoco chip, that has a good Linux driver.

  5. Re: AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:35:28 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph writes:
    >> There aren't a lot of AMD64 laptops. I have the Compaq R3000z with a
    >> 3400+ and 1G of RAM. The Compaq uses the Broadcom chip but you can buy it
    >> without the wireless option.

    > Oh cool, I hadn't heard you could buy the Compaq without the Broadcom.
    > Is it a standard mini-PCI card inside? Apparently there's a Lucent card
    > with the Orinoco chip, that has a good Linux driver.

    It's definitely an option, you save $25 by not getting it, but I don't
    know if it's a mini-pci. There is one Type I/II PCMCIA card slot
    available, the Broadcom card is not in the PCMCIA slot so it's either on
    the motherboard itself or in an undocumented internal slot.

  6. Re: AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Oh cool, I hadn't heard you could buy the Compaq without the

    Broadcom.
    > Is it a standard mini-PCI card inside? Apparently there's a Lucent

    card

    Warning: Even if it is, HP has BIOS locks so you can't use third-party
    MiniPCI devices. (I have a ZE4805WM which has this issue; many others
    are known to have the same crippled limitation). Also if it comes
    without the internal card, it might not include the antennas either -
    again, my laptop doesn't. So I use a PCMCIA card.

  7. Re: AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    > not the ondemand governor which is much nicer. The touch pad does not
    > work out of the box. I don't know if it can be made to function, I

    hate

    Doesn't work at all, or doesn't let you tap-to-click? Did you have
    another pointing device plugged in when you tried to use the touchpad?

  8. Re: AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:16:14 -0800, larwe wrote:

    >> not the ondemand governor which is much nicer. The touch pad does not
    >> work out of the box. I don't know if it can be made to function, I

    > hate
    >
    > Doesn't work at all, or doesn't let you tap-to-click? Did you have
    > another pointing device plugged in when you tried to use the touchpad?

    The touchpad doesn't work at all with FC3 out of the box however it can be
    made to work, see

    http://www.fozzilinymoo.org/dispensation/zv5000z.html

    The HP zv5000z and the Compaq R3000z are identical except for color, so
    the above patches will work for the Compaq as well as the HP. I use a mini
    mouse, I can't stand any of the laptop specific pointing devices so I
    haven't bothered to try to make it work. I'm also not using the Broadcom
    wireless at the moment. I did get it working with FC2 and Ndiswrapper so I
    know it can be made to work. I normally use ethernet so I haven't bothered
    to install Ndiswrapper on FC3. When the 64 bit XP drivers for the Broadcom
    chip come out I'll try Ndiswrapper again.

    BTW when you check http://www.shopping.com, price both the HP and the
    Compaq, depending on the day's specials the price difference for
    identically configured systems can differ by a couple of hundred dollars.

    Also get the A64 with 1M cache, not the 1/2M cache version. I have two
    A64 systems, the Compaq laptop with a 3400+ (1M cache) and a Compaq
    desktop with a 3800+ (939 with 1/2M cache). Doing Verilog simulations the
    3400+ in the laptop is twice as fast as the 3800+ in the desktop. The
    desktop has a much faster disk so in tasks that have a significant amount
    of I/O the desktop catches up but if there is no I/O the laptop is much
    faster.

  9. Re: AMD64 based laptops that support Linux

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:41:43 -0500, Michael Meissner wrote:

    > I'm possibily looking at running an AMD64 laptop (in 64-bit mode using X
    > windows), and was wondering what laptops have the best support.

    You may check a survey of Linux installations on laptops with 64bit CPU:
    http://tuxmobil.org/cpu_64bit.html

    Werner

    --
    |=| Werner Heuser = Berliner Str. 122 = D-13187 Berlin = Germany
    |=| T. 0049 - (0)30 - 349 53 86
    |*| This is no time for phony rhetoric -- Lou Reed

+ Reply to Thread