Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions) - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions) - Portable ; Bob Harris wrote: > > I replied to your original post, which you think you lost. Neither of my posts show up on Google Groups. They were screwed up for much of yesterday, it seems. I posted some other things ...

  1. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    Bob Harris wrote:

    > I replied to your original post, which you think you lost.

    Neither of my posts show up on Google Groups. They were screwed up for
    much of yesterday, it seems. I posted some other things in other groups
    that never appeared (to me) either.

    > I would like to add, that maybe you can run your linux apps on Mac OS

    X.
    > Look at 'fink'

    I'm aware of it, but it doesn't solve my problems. A lot of what I do
    is kernel-level tinkering.

    The general impression I'm getting is that I should probably go with
    the PB 12"/80G/SuperDrive upgraded to 1.25Gb RAM. Hey, I just thought
    to click on the "for education" link, and I found out that I get a $200
    college discount, too!!! Darn, I should have ordered the Mini with
    discount

    Anyway, last night I got the email saying my Mini shipped, which means
    I'll have it today or tomorrow. I'm going to experiment and see just
    how well PPC Linux works for me. If it's all good, then I'll probably
    order the PowerBook next week.

    > fink will make available a lot of the OpenSource apps. Mac OS X has

    an
    > X11 display server.

    It does, but X11 integration isn't very good, or wasn't in the last
    version of OS X (10.2.6) I played with.

  2. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    larwe@larwe.com writes:

    > It does, but X11 integration isn't very good, or wasn't in the last
    > version of OS X (10.2.6) I played with.

    Any particular issues? I've found it works pretty well. By default it
    starts up in rootless mode, but there's a full screen option
    available as well (either through key-combo or set in preferences).

    Though I know one or two people that really want the meta key, and
    can't see to get it going (this applies to Terminal.app, iTerm,
    etc.).

    --
    David Magda , http://www.magda.ca/

  3. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    David Magda wrote:

    > > It does, but X11 integration isn't very good, or wasn't in the last
    > > version of OS X (10.2.6) I played with.

    > Any particular issues? I've found it works pretty well. By default it
    > starts up in rootless mode, but there's a full screen option
    > available as well (either through key-combo or set in preferences).

    I'm trying to remember my specific gripes. They were really things
    where I couldn't see an easy way to code them - so I understood WHY the
    problems were there, but just didn't ENJOY them.

    The primary X apps I was trying to run were openoffice.org and xemacs.
    I think one of my problems was not being able to cut and paste between
    OOo and a native program (Safari at the time, probably). Another was
    disparity in printer support between X apps and native apps. Different
    fonts. The Mac-X11 version of OOo didn't render my documents (generated
    in x86 Linux) properly onscreen, possibly due to the font issue. Things
    like that.

  4. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.system.]
    On 2005-03-23, David Magda wrote:
    > Though I know one or two people that really want the meta key, and
    > can't see to get it going (this applies to Terminal.app, iTerm,
    > etc.).

    It's easy to get option to be meta in all these environments: Terminal,
    iTerm, and X11. I have my system configured this way. Some modifier
    combinations (eg ctl-meta) won't work in the terminal emulators but they
    all work in X11.

  5. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    larwe@larwe.com writes:

    > I think one of my problems was not being able to cut and
    > paste between OOo and a native program (Safari at the time,
    > probably).

    Yes, I've found this to be non-intuitive most of the time.

    > Another was disparity in printer support between X apps and native
    > apps. Different fonts. The Mac-X11 version of OOo didn't render my
    > documents (generated in x86 Linux) properly onscreen, possibly due
    > to the font issue. Things like that.

    Depending on the fonts you're using you could probably just copy them
    over to the Mac from the Linux box. OS X handles just about every
    format out there.

    --
    David Magda , http://www.magda.ca/