Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions) - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions) - Portable ; sbt wrote: > > or is this only for 3D graphics hounds? Any other major difference > > between the 12" iB and PB that I should note? > > > > It's not just faster RAM and CPU in ...

  1. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    sbt wrote:

    > > or is this only for 3D graphics hounds? Any other major difference
    > > between the 12" iB and PB that I should note?
    > >

    > It's not just faster RAM and CPU in the PowerBook, it's also

    additional
    > Cache.

    Huh. Apple's specs don't talk about this. They say that the iBook has
    512K cache at the nominal CPU clock speed, but they don't specify
    anything for the PowerBook.

    > You also get more RAM with the PowerBook (512MB vs 256MB) and an 80GB
    > drive vs a 30GB drive. The PowerBook's better video card (NVIDEI
    > GeForce FX Go5200 w/64MB vs ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/32MB) is good
    > for graphics, gaming, and video.
    >
    > The bundled software suites are different as well.

    Most of the above isn't important to me. I would be buying whichever
    machine I get with 1Gb RAM and a 30Gb drive is adequate for what I need
    to do. I'm not sure what to think about the graphics chip. I don't do
    any gaming at all (unless you count playing with C64 and Neo-Geo
    emulators), and I only work on very simple web graphics (cropping and
    resizing digital photos). I daresay both chipsets are capable of
    rendering a DVD movie at full frame rate, which is the most demanding
    thing I ever do video-wise. I think one of the things that put a yellow
    flag on the video chip for me is that I hear rumblings that the next
    generation of MacOS, if I decide to use it, will require 64Mb video RAM
    for some features. I don't want to close any doors unnecessarily.

    As for bundled software, I probably will never use any of it, since the
    machine will likely be Linux-only, but thanks for mentioning it; I'll
    have a look at the actual differences.

  2. Re: iBook vs PowerBook (and Linux questions)

    * larwe@larwe.com wrote:
    > sbt wrote:
    >
    > > > or is this only for 3D graphics hounds? Any other major
    > > > difference
    > > > between the 12" iB and PB that I should note?

    [...]
    > > The PowerBook's better video card (NVIDEI
    > > GeForce FX Go5200 w/64MB vs ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/32MB)
    > > is good
    > > for graphics, gaming, and video.

    [...]
    > Most of the above isn't important to me.

    Good, because NVidia doesn't do Linux-PowerPC-drivers (yet?), so
    there's no 3D.
    Suspend2ram is currently not possible with NVidia chips, too, AFAIK.
    Also check the "Airport Extreme" chip, if you must have WLAN under
    Linux! AFAIK the 12" PB's Airport Extreme has a Broadcom chip that is
    not supported (driver/specs) for Linux. (or use a working USB-solution)

    Good Luck :-)
    tuXLifan

+ Reply to Thread