Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2 - Portable

This is a discussion on Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2 - Portable ; Hello, I recently purchased an Averatec 5500. I am attempting to set up Linux 9.2 on it. I have managed to install it and get it to boot. However, I am having trouble getting a network connection on it. It ...

  1. Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    Hello,

    I recently purchased an Averatec 5500. I am attempting to set up Linux
    9.2 on it. I have managed to install it and get it to boot.

    However, I am having trouble getting a network connection on it.

    It has a SIS 900 PCI Ethernet port, an 802.11g Mini PCI Wireless port,
    and a 1394 Network port. I have test the Ethernet port and the 802
    port under Windows and they work.

    I did the default install. That did not work. Then I ran the repair
    and installed the SIS module. That had no effect.

    Years ago I set up an old Compaq to use Linux, put it had a PCAMIA card
    for the network card. This one has the built in cards. I have never
    set up the 802 cards in Linux. This is a new experience.

    The email address that I am posting from is old. I have never changed
    it so I can post and not receive spam. If you wish to email me use
    roland@readytek.net.

    roland

  2. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    On 21 Mar 2005 06:28:53 -0800, rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu staggered into
    the Black Sun and said:
    > Averatec 5500, I am attempting to set up [SuSE] Linux 9.2 on it. I
    > have managed to install it and get it to boot. However, I am having
    > trouble getting a network connection on it.

    Google://"averatec 5500 linux" doesn't turn up much that's useful.
    There's nothing about this laptop on tuxmobil.org or
    linux-on-laptops.com either. You may be in for a hard slog if you're
    new to Linux, because weird hardware abounds on laptops.

    > It has a SIS 900 PCI Ethernet port, an 802.11g Mini PCI Wireless port,
    > and a 1394 Network port.

    Er... you *can* use Firewire for networking, but hardly anyone does and
    it's considered experimental. What did you mean by "1394 network"?

    > I have [tested] the Ethernet port and the 802 port under Windows and
    > they work. I did the default install. That did not work. Then I ran
    > the repair and installed the SIS module. That had no effect.

    Good to know that the hardware works. So... you need to figure out
    exactly what the hardware *is*. The Windows Device Mangler lies like a
    rug; I wouldn't trust it as far as I could spit a guinea pig. Post the
    outputs of "/sbin/lspci" and "uname -a". All SIS900 NICs should be
    supported if you just "modprobe sis900", but if this is a new laptop,
    its NIC may have a new PCI ID that isn't in the database for SuSE 9.2's
    less-than-bleeding-edge kernel. Or the card may not be a SIS900;
    mnaufacturers tend to use whatever chip is cheapest at the time.

    I can't help you much with the wireless thing. A fair number of these
    802.11n cards have no Linux modules available, but there's always
    ndiswrapper. That does some kernel-level magic that allows you to use
    the Windows kernel modules in Linux, as long as you're running a 32-bit
    kernel on the x86 or x86-64. The output from lspci could be a great help
    in providing info on what exactly you need to do.

    > If you wish to email me use rolandYOURPANTS@readytek.net.

    You are aware, are you not, that the spammers fish out anything that
    looks like a mail address from public archives and add it to their
    databases? Munging applied (remove YOURPANTS to reply, natch.) HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On 21 Mar 2005 06:28:53 -0800, rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu staggered

    into
    > the Black Sun and said:
    > > Averatec 5500, I am attempting to set up [SuSE] Linux 9.2 on it. I
    > > have managed to install it and get it to boot. However, I am

    having
    > > trouble getting a network connection on it.

    > Google://"averatec 5500 linux" doesn't turn up much that's useful.
    > There's nothing about this laptop on tuxmobil.org or
    > linux-on-laptops.com either. You may be in for a hard slog if you're
    > new to Linux, because weird hardware abounds on laptops.
    >
    > > It has a SIS 900 PCI Ethernet port, an 802.11g Mini PCI Wireless

    port,
    > > and a 1394 Network port.

    > Er... you *can* use Firewire for networking, but hardly anyone does

    and
    > it's considered experimental. What did you mean by "1394 network"?
    >
    > > I have [tested] the Ethernet port and the 802 port under Windows

    and
    > > they work. I did the default install. That did not work. Then I

    ran
    > > the repair and installed the SIS module. That had no effect.

    > Good to know that the hardware works. So... you need to figure out
    > exactly what the hardware *is*. The Windows Device Mangler lies like

    > rug; I wouldn't trust it as far as I could spit a guinea pig. Post

    the
    > outputs of "/sbin/lspci" and "uname -a". All SIS900 NICs should be
    > supported if you just "modprobe sis900", but if this is a new laptop,
    > its NIC may have a new PCI ID that isn't in the database for SuSE

    9.2's
    > less-than-bleeding-edge kernel. Or the card may not be a SIS900;
    > mnaufacturers tend to use whatever chip is cheapest at the time.
    >
    > I can't help you much with the wireless thing. A fair number of

    these
    > 802.11n cards have no Linux modules available, but there's always
    > ndiswrapper. That does some kernel-level magic that allows you to

    use
    > the Windows kernel modules in Linux, as long as you're running a

    32-bit
    > kernel on the x86 or x86-64. The output from lspci could be a great

    help
    > in providing info on what exactly you need to do.

    I am not new to linux. I have been using SuSe linux since the 6.2 or
    something like that. I did manage to get one version set up on an Old,
    Old Compaq Laptop once. It was a 75mz computer. I think I still have
    the PCAMIA network card from that computer.

    When I updated my home pc, I did notice that there were updates for the
    Wireless Lan Cards and other network updates on the SuSe update sites.
    I have considered attemting to use that to update the thing and see if
    that helps.
    (Not sure if it would. But it is an idea.)

    I have also pre-ordered SuSe 9.3. It is supposed to have better 802
    support.
    Not sure if it will. 9.2 was not a real great version because Novell
    was in a rush to get something out under their name.

    The Windows Network Connections says there is a 1394 network card. I
    have not attempted to use it. It is just there. It is unplugged. Not
    really sure what to do with it. I figured I would describe it in the
    post. At least now I know it is experimental. (Windows did not say it
    was experimental.)

    I tried to do a search on google before posting. I did not find much
    either.
    I did find something on setting up a 2200 or 2600, but the instructions
    there didn't help me much for the 5500. Those instructions, and that
    person's results - that person managed to get the network card's set up
    with a little tweaking, but had trouble with the sound. The sound is
    working fine. I am having a lot of trouble with the network cards.
    That person also had trouble with the monitor settings. I took a tape
    measure and measure the screen in MM before running SAX, and set it up
    without any problem. (Having set up my screen on my home PC a few
    times, with a few different monitors, I had an idea this was what was
    needed.)

    I will try the "/sbin/lspci" and "uname -a tonight. I will also see if
    I have the old PCAMIA card that I know works. If I can get the system
    to update, it might cure the problem.

    roland

  4. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    skrev i meddelandet
    news:1111415333.143124.59050@l41g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently purchased an Averatec 5500. I am attempting to set up Linux
    > 9.2 on it. I have managed to install it and get it to boot.
    >
    > However, I am having trouble getting a network connection on it.
    >
    > It has a SIS 900 PCI Ethernet port, an 802.11g Mini PCI Wireless port,
    > and a 1394 Network port. I have test the Ethernet port and the 802
    > port under Windows and they work.
    >
    > I did the default install. That did not work. Then I ran the repair
    > and installed the SIS module. That had no effect.
    >
    > Years ago I set up an old Compaq to use Linux, put it had a PCAMIA card
    > for the network card. This one has the built in cards. I have never
    > set up the 802 cards in Linux. This is a new experience.
    >
    > The email address that I am posting from is old. I have never changed
    > it so I can post and not receive spam. If you wish to email me use
    > roland@readytek.net.
    >
    > roland

    You can use Win-XP's .INF & .SYS ndis drivers for almost any wireless card,
    also take a look at this site: ( in this case for SuSE 9.2 )
    http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/p...essional%209.2

  5. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    On 21 Mar 2005 10:48:05 -0800, rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu staggered into
    the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> On 21 Mar 2005 06:28:53 -0800, rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu staggered
    >>> Averatec 5500, I am attempting to set up [SuSE] Linux 9.2 on it. I
    >>> have managed to install it and get it to boot. However, I am having
    >>> trouble getting a network connection on it.
    >>> It has a SIS 900 PCI Ethernet port, an 802.11g Mini PCI Wireless
    >>> port, and a 1394 Network port.

    >> outputs of "/sbin/lspci" and "uname -a". All SIS900 NICs should be
    >> supported if you just "modprobe sis900", but if this is a new laptop,
    >> its NIC may have a new PCI ID that isn't in the database for SuSE

    > I am not new to linux. I have been using SuSe linux since the 6.2 or
    > something like that.

    OK, that's good.

    > The Windows Network Connections says there is a 1394 network card. I
    > have not attempted to use it. It is just there.

    Hm. I wonder what that could be? You typically see "1394" in
    connection with Firewire devices, because Firewire is an Apple name and
    the "real" name for that bus is IEEE-1394. Oh well, the SIS900 and
    802.11n are the things you probably are more concerned with.

    > I did find something on setting up a 2200 or 2600, but the
    > instructions there didn't help me much for the 5500. I will try the
    > "/sbin/lspci" and "uname -a tonight.

    It'd be really useful to see the output from the lspci command. uname
    will not be that useful, since you're almost certainly using a 2.6
    kernel of reasonably recent vintage.

    > I will also see if I have the old PCAMIA card that I know works.

    "PCMCIA". (People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms.) That's a
    good backup plan. Make sure you've installed the PCMCIA utilities and
    modules, and that they've been started at boot time. If they're
    running, "pgrep cardmgr" should return a single PID.

    > If I can get the system to update, it might cure the problem.

    That too. Let us know how you get on. If you manage to get everything
    working, make sure to write up a summary and put it on your web page, so
    that the next guy who tries Linux on an Averatec 5500 can benefit from
    your work. Hey, he might then offer you virtual beer :-) .

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  6. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On 21 Mar 2005 10:48:05 -0800, rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu staggered

    into
    > the Black Sun and said:
    > > Dances With Crows wrote:
    > >> On 21 Mar 2005 06:28:53 -0800, rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu staggered

    having
    > >> outputs of "/sbin/lspci" and "uname -a". All SIS900 NICs should

    be
    > >> supported if you just "modprobe sis900", but if this is a new

    laptop,
    > >> its NIC may have a new PCI ID that isn't in the database for SuSE

    > > I am not new to linux. I have been using SuSe linux since the 6.2

    or
    > > something like that.

    > OK, that's good.
    >
    > > The Windows Network Connections says there is a 1394 network card.

    > > have not attempted to use it. It is just there.

    > Hm. I wonder what that could be? You typically see "1394" in
    > connection with Firewire devices, because Firewire is an Apple name

    and
    > the "real" name for that bus is IEEE-1394. Oh well, the SIS900 and
    > 802.11n are the things you probably are more concerned with.
    >
    > > I did find something on setting up a 2200 or 2600, but the
    > > instructions there didn't help me much for the 5500. I will try

    the
    > > "/sbin/lspci" and "uname -a tonight.

    > It'd be really useful to see the output from the lspci command.

    uname
    > will not be that useful, since you're almost certainly using a 2.6
    > kernel of reasonably recent vintage.
    >
    > > I will also see if I have the old PCAMIA card that I know works.

    > "PCMCIA". (People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms.)

    That's a
    > good backup plan. Make sure you've installed the PCMCIA utilities

    and
    > modules, and that they've been started at boot time. If they're
    > running, "pgrep cardmgr" should return a single PID.

    I could not find the card, only the wire clip that went with it. This
    was from 3 or 4 years ago, so I am not really sure what I did with it.
    I had loned out the laptop to my neice who was in college, and the
    thing died. It was only a 75mz computer so it was not worth trying to
    fix. I used it for a few years to work on a Masters degree, and then
    she used it going to college... so it sort of got a work out. So the
    $500 I paid for a used laptop... well is was not wasted. But I am not
    sure what I did with the PCMCIA card. I may also have a USB ethernet
    card at home somewhere.

    Anyway, I may get a chance to work on this project this weekend. If
    not, I may just wait until I get SuSe 9.3. The reveiws say it is
    suppose to have better 802 support. I plan on loading that anyway. So
    I may just wait.

    I was just attempting to see if I could get this working because I had
    a copy of 9.2. I do things sometimes just to see if I can succeed in
    doing them.

    It took me a couple of attempts to get 9.2 to load on the laptop. The
    first attempt sort of mucked up the windows partiton. I had to reload
    windows. I had not loaded anything else on yet, so it was not a big
    deal. I figured I would attempt this before loading the computer up
    with programs.

    roland

  7. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    I broke down and purchased a new usb ethernet card. I managed to get
    SuSe to update with it. I updated all the wireless lan drivers in
    SuSe.
    However that did not manage to get the wireless lan working.

    Now part of the problem might be - I don't know much about wireless
    networking.

    I did not get much of a chance to work on this over the weekend. A
    friend I gave my old computer to...

    Well, they had AOL and decided it was not a good ISP. I have spent a
    bit of time trying to get AOL out of that computer. I am not so sure
    about their new choice of ISP's either, they signed up with Qwest DSL
    and MSN.

    They also had all sorts of Spyware and adware in the computer.
    I think it is cleaned out now? I am not sure?

    roland

  8. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    Hi Folks,

    I now have linux 9.3. (Okay, so I paid Novell some more money.)
    I have loaded it up on my desktop. Everything works really nice.
    Some of the problems I was having in 9.2 are fixed. (I kept losing the
    sound settings, and I could not get a good photo print... both are
    fixed now.)
    That is another story...

    There is a nice photo program on 9.3 called flphoto. It is a GPL
    program. From the help screen it looks like it is on source forge.
    But this is not why I am posting.

    The 802 card is a Micro-star intnational Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus
    Reference Card.

    I have tried the ad-hoc, managed and master settings. I have tried on
    DHCP, and with a static IP address.

    If I have it set on ad-hoc, Automatic setup with DHCP, Sharde Key, and
    Hexadecimal it will give me an IP address of 192.168.1.101 but I am
    unable to connect to anything.

    I have a dns server in the host name and server configuration settings.
    and the update name servers and search list via dhcp block is checked.

    Any ideas on what to try next?

    thanks for help,

    roland

  9. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    http://rt2400.sourceforge.net/ works well. There's an app called
    RaConfig2500, some combination of running that and doing `dhclient ra0`
    usually works. I've had issues getting it to work well w/ WPA and even
    WEP.

  10. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    hairy918@gmail.com wrote:
    > http://rt2400.sourceforge.net/ works well. There's an app called
    > RaConfig2500, some combination of running that and doing `dhclient ra0`
    > usually works. I've had issues getting it to work well w/ WPA and even
    > WEP.

    I well, sort of went to Scotland in May. Had a nice vacation. The
    laptop issue had to be put on hold for a while.

    On the note of going to Scotland.... I dowloaded the new drivers for my
    Konica Minolta 2300DL printer. They print nice. My Epson 1160 prints
    the 13x19 prints nice out of linux expect they are off center on the
    page.
    Not very far off center, just enough to be annoying. It starts on the
    edge on one side instead of leaving a 1/4 inch margin, and leaves a 3/8
    inch margain on the bottom of the print, and leaves a 1/4 inch margin
    on the other two sides. It prints fine, and a nice frame might cover
    up the margins... just it was annoying. Now finding a 13x19 inch
    frame... that is another story. (nobody has them)

    WB rote:

    >This WLAN card did not work with version 9.2.
    >It was recognized by the system as a PCI device, but it never worked
    >there.
    >You can find RALINK drivers for LINUX at their website.
    >Unfortunately I never tried to compile them.

    >> I have tried the ad-hoc, managed and master settings. I have tried
    >>on
    >> DHCP, and with a static IP address.
    >> Any ideas on what to try next?

    >What is the configuration of the hot spot?

    This could be one of the problems. I am real new at the wireless
    thing. This is a wireless router in my house. I had to configure he
    wireless router myself, and the configure the laptop to work with the
    wireless router. I manage to get it to work through trial and error in
    windows.
    I am not real sure how I have it configured. I might have to log into
    it to see. (If I can remember how to do that... this is a whole new
    thing here.)

    I did try connecting to it when I had no security settings on it, and
    that did not work either. (I had to reset it after a power outage
    once.)

    So I am sure part of this is I don't really know what I am doing with
    configuring a wireless network. I took it over to my nieces house, and
    her husband is a computer student at college. He could configure the
    windows partition to work with his wireless network, but not the linux
    system to work with his wireless network. We also had a couple of
    other pcmcia cards we attemted this with, and none of them would work.

    So, it is just something I am not doing correctly, I am sure. Linux
    9.3 found the card fine. I am going to have to end up going to a linux
    users group to get this figured out. I was going to go this past
    Saturday, but I ended up having to go to a funeral. It seems there is
    always something to keep me away from a LUG meeting.

    roland

  11. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu writes:

    First, when you are near the wireless access point do
    iwlist s
    to see if you see the wireless access point. If not, your system is almost
    certainly not working (eg you have not installed the correct driver for
    your wireless card. If you have a driver listed in /etc/modprobe.conf, look
    at
    dmesg|less
    to see if there is some error message.

    If iwlist sees it, then do
    iwconfig
    to see if the wireless is actually associated with something.

    Then I do not know whick OS you are using. Under Mandrake look for the file
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
    or whatever your wireless port is calledi (the one in iwlist that lists
    wireless access points)
    See what is in there. How are you supposed to get the IP address? dhcp? Or
    some static address?

    ..

> [...]

    >that did not work either. (I had to reset it after a power outage
    >once.)

    >So I am sure part of this is I don't really know what I am doing with
    >configuring a wireless network. I took it over to my nieces house, and
    >her husband is a computer student at college. He could configure the
    >windows partition to work with his wireless network, but not the linux
    >system to work with his wireless network. We also had a couple of
    >other pcmcia cards we attemted this with, and none of them would work.

    >So, it is just something I am not doing correctly, I am sure. Linux
    >9.3 found the card fine. I am going to have to end up going to a linux
    >users group to get this figured out. I was going to go this past
    >Saturday, but I ended up having to go to a funeral. It seems there is
    >always something to keep me away from a LUG meeting.

  12. Re: Averatec 5500 Trying to set up SuSe 9.2

    Unruh wrote:
    > rbehunin@alumni.weber.edu writes:
    >
    > First, when you are near the wireless access point do
    > iwlist s
    > to see if you see the wireless access point. If not, your system is almost
    > certainly not working (eg you have not installed the correct driver for
    > your wireless card. If you have a driver listed in /etc/modprobe.conf, look
    > at
    > dmesg|less
    > to see if there is some error message.
    >
    > If iwlist sees it, then do
    > iwconfig
    > to see if the wireless is actually associated with something.
    >
    > Then I do not know whick OS you are using. Under Mandrake look for the file
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
    > or whatever your wireless port is calledi (the one in iwlist that lists
    > wireless access points)
    > See what is in there. How are you supposed to get the IP address? dhcp? Or
    > some static address?

    It is SuSe 9.3, and it is set to DHCP. I set it to a staic address and
    it pick up the 192.168.1. whatever I set it to, but it did not ping
    anything.
    So I put it back to DHCP.

    I try these and the other things people have suggested and see. Sooner
    or later, one way or another I will get something working.

    It just takes time. It also hasn't really been a priority. I didn't
    really buy the laptop for internet access, just to download and work on
    photos. I only put linux on it to see if I could do manage to get it
    working on there.

    So, over time, I will manage to get the 802 card working. I just might
    post every once in a while my progress. Right now, I have managed to
    get the system to find the card. That is progress over it not finding
    the card.

    roland

+ Reply to Thread