No sound on ThinkpadR40 - Portable

This is a discussion on No sound on ThinkpadR40 - Portable ; Hello there, I have a problem with the sound system of my ThinkPad. When I play a music CD there is no sound (neither the speakers nor the earphones are working). I'm runnin Fedora Core 3 'Linux version 2.6.10-1.770_FC3 (bhcompile@porky.build.redhat.com) ...

  1. No sound on ThinkpadR40

    Hello there,

    I have a problem with the sound system of my ThinkPad. When I play a
    music CD there is no sound (neither the speakers nor the earphones are
    working).

    I'm runnin Fedora Core 3 'Linux version 2.6.10-1.770_FC3
    (bhcompile@porky.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat
    3.4.2-6.fc3))'

    Any helpful advise ?

  2. Re: No sound on ThinkpadR40

  3. Re: No sound on ThinkpadR40

    What is this tpb program. No trace of it on my laptop !!??

    Will Ashford wrote:

  4. Re: No sound on ThinkpadR40

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:16:33 +0100, herbert koelman staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:

    Please don't top-post, and trim your posts. Message rearranged and
    trimmed for easier reading comprehension.

    > Will Ashford wrote:
    >> herbert koelman wrote:
    >>> I have a problem with the sound system of my ThinkPad. When I play
    >>> a music CD there is no sound (neither the speakers nor the
    >>> earphones are working). I'm runnin Fedora Core 3 'Linux version
    >>> 2.6.10-1.770_FC3

    >> Make sure you have unmuted the hardware mixer. I believe it can be
    >> done just by pressing the volume up button, if not, the program tpb
    >> can enable those buttons.

    > What is this tpb program. No trace of it on my laptop !!??

    tpb = ThinkPadButtons. It's a small program that monitors the NVRAM on
    Thinkpads for the changes that pressing the Thinkpad "special buttons"
    makes. It can take user-defined actions for most of the buttons on most
    Thinkpads. Typically, you install tpb with Fedora's equivalent of
    "emerge tpb", then edit /etc/tpbrc so you can bind the buttons to do
    whatever it is that you want, then make it so that tpb is started when
    you start X.

    tpb works pretty well on my A22p, but then that's a pretty old model and
    there are fewer special buttons on that than there are on newer models.
    I don't see anything in the man page about anything special for the R40,
    but you might want to check the archives of the linux-thinkpad mailing
    list at
    http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/ma...linux-thinkpad or
    somewhere under it for more advice. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!