Windows/Linux installation order (Thinkpad) - Portable

This is a discussion on Windows/Linux installation order (Thinkpad) - Portable ; Hi, some time ago I had problems installing Suse 9.0 and Win XP on my Thinkpad R40, resulting in an unusable rescue partition. Got the rescue CDs from IBM, reinstalled Windows (partitions created with fdisk before). I tried several things, ...

  1. Windows/Linux installation order (Thinkpad)

    Hi,
    some time ago I had problems installing Suse 9.0 and Win XP on my Thinkpad
    R40, resulting in an unusable rescue partition. Got the rescue CDs from
    IBM, reinstalled Windows (partitions created with fdisk before).
    I tried several things, installing first linux, then Windows or vice versa,
    but I couldn't get both working together. I don't remember all attempts.

    What is the right way to proceed? I would first install Linux with
    partitions like
    10 GB NTFS (Win XP)
    5 GB fat32 /
    5 GB fat32 /home
    6 GB fat32 /windows/d
    1 GB swap
    3 GB - (rescue, necessary?)

    and then install Win XP and hope it will install in the first (10GB)
    partition. But something seems to go wrong.

    Or is the right way, first to install Win XP, then shrink its partition?
    I don't have PartitionMagic, is there a freeware tool instead?

    Any hint is very much appreciated!
    Jens

  2. Re: Windows/Linux installation order (Thinkpad)

    Jens Baumann wrote:

    > What is the right way to proceed?

    Install Windows.
    Shrink the partition
    Create a FAT32 partition, which will hold the "My Documents" folder
    Install Linux, making sure you don't tell it to clobber the Windows
    partition.

  3. Re: Windows/Linux installation order (Thinkpad)

    In article <423016d0$0$29282$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
    Jens Baumann wrote:
    >Hi,
    >some time ago I had problems installing Suse 9.0 and Win XP on my Thinkpad
    >R40, resulting in an unusable rescue partition. Got the rescue CDs from
    >IBM, reinstalled Windows (partitions created with fdisk before).
    >I tried several things, installing first linux, then Windows or vice versa,
    >but I couldn't get both working together. I don't remember all attempts.
    >
    >What is the right way to proceed? I would first install Linux with
    >partitions like
    >10 GB NTFS (Win XP)
    >5 GB fat32 /
    >5 GB fat32 /home
    >6 GB fat32 /windows/d
    >1 GB swap
    >3 GB - (rescue, necessary?)
    >
    >and then install Win XP and hope it will install in the first (10GB)
    >partition. But something seems to go wrong.
    >
    >Or is the right way, first to install Win XP, then shrink its partition?
    >I don't have PartitionMagic, is there a freeware tool instead?
    >
    >Any hint is very much appreciated!
    >Jens

    The process I use:

    0 - Set BIOS to allow blowing away the recovery partition (if
    necessary)

    1 - Boot Linux rescue disk, delete all partitions, create primary
    partition for XP install (partition 1 of desired size).

    2 - Run XP recovery from CD's

    3 - When recovery fails (boots to blinking cursor), boot Linux
    rescue disk and rewrite MBR with LILO.

    4 - Finish XP recovery. Let XP "adjust" partitioning as required
    (e.g., on my X31 with 7K60 HD, Linux fdisk defaulted to 255
    heads, 63 sectors while XP insisted on 240 heads/63 sectors).

    5 - Create all desired partitions using XP disk manager, including
    partitions for Linux, swap, and hibernation. No need to format
    any partitions other than those XP will access.

    6 - Boot Linux rescue disk, change type of Linux partitions to the
    appropriate values (Linux and Linux swap). To avoid warning
    messages, go to expert mode and set the disk geometry to match
    that used by XP first.

    7 - Install Hibernation partition if you're using one (from floppy
    boot). (I've found APM currently uses about 1/3 the power of
    ACPI when suspended to RAM, although ACPI suspend to RAM finally
    works).

    8 - Install Linux.

    9 - Have fun!

    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

  4. Re: Windows/Linux installation order (Thinkpad)

    On 2005-03-10, James Knott wrote:

    > Jens Baumann wrote:
    >
    >> What is the right way to proceed?

    > Install Windows.
    > Shrink the partition
    > Create a FAT32 partition, which will hold the "My Documents" folder
    > Install Linux, making sure you don't tell it to clobber the Windows
    > partition.

    I usually do this:

    1) partition the drive -- one primary for Windows, and an empty extended
    partition for linux.

    2) install Windows into the primary partition

    3) install linux into the extended partition, dividing it up however you
    please.

    It saves a lot of time not having to shrink an existing partition to make
    room for linux.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread