Boot hangs on Toshiba Tecra 9000 in Mdk 10.1, default kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk.

Can anyone suggest how I might diagnose and fix the problem described below?
(I could recompile the kernel with different options for example, if I knew
what options to try.)

First error:
Initialising USB controller (uhci-hcd) [FAILED]

Continues for a bit, no more errors, then...
Activating swap partition: [OK]

Then it hangs.

Further debugging suggests the hang is when it loads intel_agp. If I set
nousb on boot command line, instead of hanging there it gives a stack dump
and hangs later when initialising firewire. If I set nousb nofirewire it
hangs later still, in 'icfonfig eth1'. So lots of things apparently broken.

Now, Mandrake 10.0 kernel 2.6.3-25mdk works very well on this laptop.
Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.6.9 also works ok. What could have changed in
Mandrake 10.1 to cause this?

Thanks
John
(Remove digits from my email address before use ;-)