mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } - Portable

This is a discussion on mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } - Portable ; hi, i'm running MPlayer 1.0pre6 on linux 2.6.11 off a (acer travelmate 8005) machine with a "MAT****ADVD-RAM UJ-831S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive" as reported on boot. the machine is able to read normal cds and can mount data disks and also ...

  1. mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    hi,

    i'm running MPlayer 1.0pre6 on linux 2.6.11 off a (acer travelmate
    8005) machine with a "MAT****ADVD-RAM UJ-831S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive"
    as reported on boot.

    the machine is able to read normal cds and can mount data disks and
    also dvds with no problems.

    however, mplayer is unable to play dvds hanginging at the prompt:

    Reading disc structure, please wait...
    There are 10 titles on this DVD.
    There are 2 chapters in this DVD title.
    There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    DVD successfully opened.

    and eventually mplayer crashes; same behaviour for any dvd. after
    looking the /var/log/messages i see the following stream of errors
    over and over whenever i try playing dvds:

    Mar 6 14:30:03 marty kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 {
    DriveReady S
    eekComplete Error }
    Mar 6 14:30:03 marty kernel: hdc: command error: error=0x50 {
    LastFailedSen
    se=0x05 }
    Mar 6 14:30:03 marty kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    Mar 6 14:30:03 marty kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdc,
    sector 348608
    Mar 6 14:30:03 marty kernel: Buffer I/O error on device hdc,
    logical block
    43576

    i tried forcing no dma (appending hdc=noprobe hdc=cdrom) but still the
    same error.

    any thoughts on how to resolve is appreciated.
    thanks in advance
    -r

    "hdparam -Iv /dev/hdc" gives the following:

    /dev/hdc:
    IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
    unmaskirq = 0 (off)
    using_dma = 0 (off)
    keepsettings = 0 (off)
    readonly = 0 (off)
    readahead = 256 (on)

    ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
    Model Number: MAT****ADVD-RAM UJ-831S
    Serial Number:
    Firmware Revision: 1.50
    Standards:
    Likely used CD-ROM ATAPI-1
    Configuration:
    DRQ response: 50us.
    Packet size: 12 bytes
    Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
    DMA: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1
    udma2
    Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    Cycle time: no flow control=240ns IORDY flow
    control=120ns
    HW reset results:
    CBLID- below Vih
    Device num = 1

  2. Re: mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 08:22:36 -0800, Ray wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > i'm running MPlayer 1.0pre6 on linux 2.6.11 off a (acer travelmate
    > 8005) machine with a "MAT****ADVD-RAM UJ-831S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive"
    > as reported on boot.
    >
    > the machine is able to read normal cds and can mount data disks and
    > also dvds with no problems.
    >
    > however, mplayer is unable to play dvds hanginging at the prompt:
    >
    > Reading disc structure, please wait...
    > There are 10 titles on this DVD.
    > There are 2 chapters in this DVD title.
    > There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
    > DVD successfully opened.
    >
    > and eventually mplayer crashes; same behaviour for any dvd. after
    > looking the /var/log/messages i see the following stream of errors
    > over and over whenever i try playing dvds:
    >
    > Mar 6 14:30:03 marty kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 {
    > DriveReady S
    > eekComplete Error }

    This usually means your hardware is bad.... In the case of a DVD - maybe
    the DVD is bad?

    Does this happen with all DVDs or just this one?

    --
    use munged address above to email me
    SpamTrap DoMeNow@seiner.com

  3. Re: mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    On 2005-03-06, Ray wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i'm running MPlayer 1.0pre6 on linux 2.6.11 off a (acer travelmate
    > 8005) machine with a "MAT****ADVD-RAM UJ-831S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive"
    > as reported on boot.

    I have a UJ-831D in an Asus laptop. Not tried mplayer, yet, but I could play
    dvds with 'ogle'.

    > /dev/hdc:
    > IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
    > unmaskirq = 0 (off)
    > using_dma = 0 (off)
    > keepsettings = 0 (off)
    > readonly = 0 (off)
    > readahead = 256 (on)
    >
    > ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
    > Model Number: MAT****ADVD-RAM UJ-831S
    > Serial Number:
    > Firmware Revision: 1.50

    Mine says:

    /dev/hdc:
    IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
    unmaskirq = 0 (off)
    using_dma = 1 (on)
    keepsettings = 0 (off)
    readonly = 0 (off)
    readahead = 256 (on)
    HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

    ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
    Model Number: MAT****AUJ-831D
    Serial Number:
    Firmware Revision: 1.00

    Have you tried writing DAO cdr's ?
    cdrdao failed here, but with cdrecord it worked.

    Hans
    --
    Jabber IM: hansb@jabber.xs4all.nl

  4. Re: mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    i resolved this after i discovered that the dvd drive had not been
    assigned a region code (it was a new drive)

    once the region code was forced everything was fine so i'm guessing
    the firmware was causing the reads to the dvd disk to fail and the ide
    driver getting confused.

    Captain Dondo wrote in message news:...
    > On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 08:22:36 -0800, Ray wrote:
    >
    > > and eventually mplayer crashes; same behaviour for any dvd. after
    > > looking the /var/log/messages i see the following stream of errors
    > > over and over whenever i try playing dvds:
    > >
    > > Mar 6 14:30:03 marty kernel: hdc: command error: status=0x51 {
    > > DriveReady S
    > > eekComplete Error }

    > This usually means your hardware is bad.... In the case of a DVD - maybe
    > the DVD is bad?
    >
    > Does this happen with all DVDs or just this one?

  5. Re: mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    Ray wrote:
    > i resolved this after i discovered that the dvd drive had not been
    > assigned a region code (it was a new drive)
    >
    > once the region code was forced everything was fine so i'm guessing
    > the firmware was causing the reads to the dvd disk to fail and the

    ide
    > driver getting confused.

    Care to post the steps for that? I've been having a similar problem
    reading certain titles off of ST:Voyager special feature CDs.

  6. Re: mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    "Mike Mol" wrote in message news:<1110416807.768158.202070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>...
    > Ray wrote:
    > > i resolved this after i discovered that the dvd drive had not been
    > > assigned a region code (it was a new drive)
    > >
    > > once the region code was forced everything was fine so i'm guessing
    > > the firmware was causing the reads to the dvd disk to fail and the

    > ide
    > > driver getting confused.

    > Care to post the steps for that? I've been having a similar problem
    > reading certain titles off of ST:Voyager special feature CDs.

    i doubt this is the same problem i had; afaik, the dvd drive's
    firmware verfies the drive's region setting against the disk region
    code before playing data.

    if you are already able to play some dvds then i'd suggest that it may
    be h/w related.

    however, check http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset for something that
    will read the drive's region code setting

  7. Re: mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    Ray wrote:
    > "Mike Mol" wrote in message

    news:<1110416807.768158.202070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>...

    > > Care to post the steps for that? I've been having a similar

    problem
    > > reading certain titles off of ST:Voyager special feature CDs.

    > i doubt this is the same problem i had; afaik, the dvd drive's
    > firmware verfies the drive's region setting against the disk region
    > code before playing data.
    >
    > if you are already able to play some dvds then i'd suggest that it

    may
    > be h/w related.

    I'll have to test it on an XP box with the provided software. That'll
    tell me if it's a hardware or software issue.

    The weird thing is that it occurs only on the special features of the
    discs. I tried it on the special features sections of seasons 3 and 4,
    and I get the same problem; Normal episodes on the disc work fine,
    special features don't. (Except for the Trekkies 2 promotional.)

    The special features discs for seasons 1 and 2 work fine, though.

    > however, check http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset for something

    that
    > will read the drive's region code setting

    Yeah, I found regionset seconds after making that post. My drive's
    already set to Region 1. (The guy I bought it from told me he tested
    it; I guess that's proof.

  8. Re: mplayer and DVD => hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    Ray wrote:
    > "Mike Mol" wrote in message

    news:<1110416807.768158.202070@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>...
    > if you are already able to play some dvds then i'd suggest that it

    may
    > be h/w related.

    That's what it turned out to be. The DVD-ROM drive was going bad,
    probably even as it was being sold to me. (I bought it second-hand.)

    Replacing the drive solved the problem. (Now I'm going to have to pay
    the parents for this drive I "borrowed" for testing. Well, at least it
    was a spare.)

    The really wierd part about it was that, at one point, only certain
    videos on certain DVDs were causing relatively frequent failures. I
    could watch any of the episodes in the season, with a read failure
    "only" once every ten to fifteen minutes. With the special features
    discs, though, I wasn't even sure it was displaying the first frame in
    the disc.

    Perhaps the drive was failing on some odd sequence of bytes that were
    relatively rare in episodes, but always appeared immediately in the
    special features.

+ Reply to Thread