PCMCIA vs Bridge! - Portable

This is a discussion on PCMCIA vs Bridge! - Portable ; Hi, Hi i am working on a project that lets wireless computers talk in an ad hoc fashion.I need a 1 km LOS connectivity between any 2 sites,I have 2 options: 1.Put a PCMCIA card with an antenna on it.I ...

  1. PCMCIA vs Bridge!

    Hi,
    Hi i am working on a project that lets wireless computers talk in an ad
    hoc fashion.I need a 1 km LOS connectivity between any 2 sites,I have 2

    1.Put a PCMCIA card with an antenna on it.I looked at senao wireless
    card
    (http://www.wirelesszones.net/oscomme...cts_id=45)This
    has 1200m LOS connectivity.

    2.Use a WET54G linksys wireless ethernet bridge.This is because of the
    range issues and economic consideration (a WET costs around $149).

    I am planning to write a routing protocol and evaluate its
    performance.Will a bridge act differently from a pcmcia card? What else
    does a bridge contain?I am also worried about suitability(Since a
    bridge traditionally supports a large number of nodes) Also does any
    website discusses the power consumption in these things?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!
    Ben

  2. Re: PCMCIA vs Bridge!

    Ben wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Hi i am working on a project that lets wireless computers talk in an ad
    > hoc fashion.I need a 1 km LOS connectivity between any 2 sites,I have 2
    >
    > 1.Put a PCMCIA card with an antenna on it.I looked at senao wireless
    > card

    (http://www.wirelesszones.net/oscomme...cts_id=45)This
    > has 1200m LOS connectivity.
    >
    > 2.Use a WET54G linksys wireless ethernet bridge.This is because of the
    > range issues and economic consideration (a WET costs around $149).
    >
    > I am planning to write a routing protocol and evaluate its
    > performance.Will a bridge act differently from a pcmcia card? What else
    > does a bridge contain?I am also worried about suitability(Since a
    > bridge traditionally supports a large number of nodes) Also does any
    > website discusses the power consumption in these things?
    >
    > Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Ben

    You might find the information on www.olsr.org interresting.