Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop? - Portable

This is a discussion on Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop? - Portable ; I have always been a Redhat/Fedora guy, but that was all when I had desktops with P3/P4 processors. I finally invested in an HP Pavillion 3340 laptop with 1.5GHz Centrino and I am now pondering which Linux distribution to install. ...

  1. Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    I have always been a Redhat/Fedora guy, but that was all when I had
    desktops with P3/P4 processors. I finally invested in an HP Pavillion
    3340 laptop with 1.5GHz Centrino and I am now pondering which Linux
    distribution to install.

    Fedora Core 2 supposedly doesn't detect the built-in Intel wireless cards
    in Centrino laptops and one would need to go through some hustle to get
    WiFi working. Does anyone know if that problem has been fixed in Fedora
    Core 3?

    I am thinking of SUSE because of its reputation and since HP has started
    selling its Centrino laptops with Novell/SUSE.

    Any recommendations?

  2. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    Berhane Temelso writes:
    > Fedora Core 2 supposedly doesn't detect the built-in Intel wireless cards
    > in Centrino laptops and one would need to go through some hustle to get
    > WiFi working. Does anyone know if that problem has been fixed in Fedora
    > Core 3?

    I don't think that will happen. There is some hack for using the
    Intel cards under Linux by wrapping some binary driver, but there's no
    free driver since the Intel card uses a secret interface. I have FC3
    on a Thinkpad X40 and am using a PCMCIA wifi card (Prism chip) because
    of this.

  3. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    In message <7x1xbfksy2.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin
    writes
    >Berhane Temelso writes:
    >> Fedora Core 2 supposedly doesn't detect the built-in Intel wireless cards
    >> in Centrino laptops and one would need to go through some hustle to get
    >> WiFi working. Does anyone know if that problem has been fixed in Fedora
    >> Core 3?

    >I don't think that will happen. There is some hack for using the
    >Intel cards under Linux by wrapping some binary driver, but there's no
    >free driver since the Intel card uses a secret interface. I have FC3
    >on a Thinkpad X40 and am using a PCMCIA wifi card (Prism chip) because
    >of this.

    Are you sure. What about ?
    --
    Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, 27 Garforth Close,
    Cramlington, Northumberland, England, NE23 6EW.

  4. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    Martin Liddle writes:
    > Are you sure. What about ?

    That is the binary wrapper thingie, I think.

  5. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:51:14 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote:

    > Martin Liddle writes:
    >> Are you sure. What about ?

    > That is the binary wrapper thingie, I think.

    Looks like a real driver to me. The wifi wrapper is Ndiswrapper which
    allows you to use a Windows driver.

  6. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    In message <7xpsyz6pnx.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin
    writes
    >Martin Liddle writes:
    >> Are you sure. What about ?

    >That is the binary wrapper thingie, I think.

    The project describes itself as "an open source 802.11b driver for the
    ipw2100".
    --
    Martin Liddle, Tynemouth Computer Services, 27 Garforth Close,
    Cramlington, Northumberland, England, NE23 6EW.
    Web site: .

  7. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    Martin Liddle writes:
    > >That is the binary wrapper thingie, I think.

    > The project describes itself as "an open source 802.11b driver for the
    > ipw2100".

    I see now, it downloads a binary firmware module into the card. Also,
    it says the card itself has no hardware docs, so it's done by reverse
    engineering. Using a pcmcia card is a nuisance, but if I want to use
    an internal card, I think I'll try to find an Orinoco mini-PCI card
    that's documented and doesn't need any binary downloads or reverse
    engineered drivers.

  8. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:29:56 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:51:14 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote:
    >
    >> Martin Liddle writes:
    >>> Are you sure. What about ?

    >> That is the binary wrapper thingie, I think.

    >Looks like a real driver to me. The wifi wrapper is Ndiswrapper which
    >allows you to use a Windows driver.

    The General is correct. The IPW driver is (mostly) open source - and
    written primarily (so far) by Intel folks. Ndiswrapper is a Linux
    wrapper for the XP driver.

    Either one works fine in my somewhat limited experience with my
    IBM R40 Centrino running FC2.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  9. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop? - the verdict

    I went with SuSE 9.2 Pro and I love it!!! The graphical interface is
    simply phenomenal and YaST makes installation and configuration so
    easy. From my brief experience with SUSE, I would definately recommend it
    over RedHat 9.0 or Fedora 2/3.

    I did a network install and eveything went well except that SuSE didn't detect my graphics card and
    monitor properties right. After a little scare and disappointment, I did
    a reinstall and specified the right graphics card and monitor settings and
    everything seems to be working fine. Now, I am moving on to the
    infamous process of getting my wireless card to work.

    Thanks everyone for the input,
    BT

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Berhane wrote:

    > I have always been a Redhat/Fedora guy, but that was all when I had
    > desktops with P3/P4 processors. I finally invested in an HP Pavillion
    > 3340 laptop with 1.5GHz Centrino and I am now pondering which Linux
    > distribution to install.
    >
    > Fedora Core 2 supposedly doesn't detect the built-in Intel wireless cards
    > in Centrino laptops and one would need to go through some hustle to get
    > WiFi working. Does anyone know if that problem has been fixed in Fedora
    > Core 3?
    >
    > I am thinking of SUSE because of its reputation and since HP has started
    > selling its Centrino laptops with Novell/SUSE.
    >
    > Any recommendations?

  10. Re: Fedora or SuSE for centrino laptop?

    Paul Rubin wrote:
    > Martin Liddle writes:
    >>>That is the binary wrapper thingie, I think.

    >>The project describes itself as "an open source 802.11b driver for the
    >>ipw2100".

    > I see now, it downloads a binary firmware module into the card. Also,
    > it says the card itself has no hardware docs, so it's done by reverse
    > engineering. Using a pcmcia card is a nuisance, but if I want to use
    > an internal card, I think I'll try to find an Orinoco mini-PCI card
    > that's documented and doesn't need any binary downloads or reverse
    > engineered drivers.

    I can understand you being defensive, since you were wrong in your
    assumptions... but really.. pretty much ALL of Linux drivers are due
    to the deligence of people reverse engineering to some extent.

    The w2200bg drivers work just fine. Using the cards firmware
    is NOT a hack solution irrespective
    of OS. And they will be installed out of the box with SUSE (though
    my WEP key wan't accepted at install time, but invoking YaST after
    install allowed me to install my WEP key). I haven't tried WPA yet...
    supposedly the latest version of the driver has some support for that.

    WEP works fine though.

+ Reply to Thread