Debian laptop upgrade problem. - Portable

This is a discussion on Debian laptop upgrade problem. - Portable ; I apologize if this has been answered a million times already, but I can't plug the magic strings into Google to find it ifit is. I own an Asus pcmcia wlan card, a well-supported Prism2 / Orinoco widget that works ...

  1. Debian laptop upgrade problem.

    I apologize if this has been answered a million times
    already, but I can't plug the magic strings into Google to
    find it ifit is.

    I own an Asus pcmcia wlan card, a well-supported Prism2 / Orinoco
    widget that works very well. I have installed Debian (via Knoppix,
    k2hd) on my laptop, and the card works fine. Once I tell Apt to point
    at Sid and do a full upgrade, though, it stops working completely as
    soon as the upgrade's over.

    I've tried this on two laptops, so far, and tried the card on a
    different machine. It's not a hardware issue.

    When I plug it in after the update, cardmgr won't even tell me it's
    there.

    I really don't know where to start with this. modprobing the relevant
    modules doesn't help. It's like the card isn't even there, after the
    upgrade.

    On fresh knoppix install (i.e. right now) it works fine. I really
    don't know what the next step should be here. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    --
    Mike Hoye

  2. Re: Debian laptop upgrade problem.

    mhoye@wabakimi.carleton.ca (Michael Hoye) writes:
    > I own an Asus pcmcia wlan card, a well-supported Prism2 / Orinoco
    > widget that works very well. I have installed Debian (via Knoppix,
    > k2hd) on my laptop, and the card works fine. Once I tell Apt to point
    > at Sid and do a full upgrade, though, it stops working completely as
    > soon as the upgrade's over.

    Here are a couple of things to try. First, did apt-get install a
    different kernel, or are you still using the one Knoppix installed?
    If it's a new kernel, make sure you're loading all the modules you
    need in /etc/modules.

    Check /etc/defaults/pcmcia-cs and make sure the settings are
    appropriate for your hardware.

    Look at the output of dmesg to see if the card services driver starts
    (lines beginning "cs: ....") and the wlan card is detected.

    HTH.

    --
    Eric C. Cooper e c c @ c m u . e d u

  3. Re: Debian laptop upgrade problem.

    In article <87brakbeh1.fsf@stratocaster.home>,
    Eric C. Cooper wrote:
    >mhoye@wabakimi.carleton.ca (Michael Hoye) writes:
    >> I own an Asus pcmcia wlan card, a well-supported Prism2 / Orinoco
    >> widget that works very well. I have installed Debian (via Knoppix,
    >> k2hd) on my laptop, and the card works fine. Once I tell Apt to point
    >> at Sid and do a full upgrade, though, it stops working completely as
    >> soon as the upgrade's over.

    >Here are a couple of things to try. First, did apt-get install a
    >different kernel, or are you still using the one Knoppix installed?

    No, the two that Knoppix installed both exhibit the same behaviour.

    >Look at the output of dmesg to see if the card services driver starts
    >(lines beginning "cs: ....") and the wlan card is detected.

    Nothing happens when I put it in. Nothing at all. dmesg doesn't show
    anything new.

    A different wireless card (that I no longer have) worked fine, so
    it's not the slot.

    I'll try the change in configuration you suggested, thanks.

    --
    Mike Hoye

  4. Re: Debian laptop upgrade problem.

    In article ,
    Michael Hoye wrote:
    >In article <87brakbeh1.fsf@stratocaster.home>,
    >Eric C. Cooper wrote:
    >>mhoye@wabakimi.carleton.ca (Michael Hoye) writes:
    >>> I own an Asus pcmcia wlan card, a well-supported Prism2 / Orinoco
    >>> widget that works very well. I have installed Debian (via Knoppix,
    >>> k2hd) on my laptop, and the card works fine. Once I tell Apt to point
    >>> at Sid and do a full upgrade, though, it stops working completely as
    >>> soon as the upgrade's over.

    >>Here are a couple of things to try. First, did apt-get install a
    >>different kernel, or are you still using the one Knoppix installed?

    >No, the two that Knoppix installed both exhibit the same behaviour.

    I've figured it out. In /etc/pcmcia/config there's the correct
    information, described like so:

    card "ASUS SpaceLink WL-100"
    manfid 0x02aa, 0x0002
    bind "orinoco_cs"

    However, this is superceded when all the other conf files are sourced
    at the end of it - in /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.conf, the following is
    included:

    card "ASUS WL-100 802.11b WLAN PC Card"
    version "ASUS", "802_11b_PC_CARD_25"
    bind "prism2_cs"

    card "ASUS WL-110 802.11b WLAN CF Card"
    version "ASUS", "802_11B_CF_CARD_25"
    bind "prism2_cs"

    I have the Orinoco modules on my system, but not the prism2 modules;
    I thought that the orinocos had replaced them. So, I plug it in, and
    nothing happens. However, once I've deleted the ASUS bits from
    wlan-ng.conf and restarted the relevant services, it works like a
    charm.

    --
    Mike Hoye

+ Reply to Thread