Palm III and USB to RS - Portable

This is a discussion on Palm III and USB to RS - Portable ; Hello, I have a Thinkpad without RS, and a Palm III without USB :-) does anybody have experience with connecting Palm III using a USB to serial converter? The available Howto's do not seem to be conclusive about that. On ...

  1. Palm III and USB to RS

    Hello,

    I have a Thinkpad without RS, and a Palm III without USB :-) does
    anybody have experience with connecting Palm III using a USB to serial
    converter? The available Howto's do not seem to be conclusive about
    that.

    On a more general note -- assuming I have a USB to RS converter. I have
    read that it creates the device /dev/ttyUSB0. Does it work exactly the
    same as if I had a serial port and used /dev/ttyS0?

    regards,

    January

    --
    Fire-fox your konqueror!

  2. Re: Palm III and USB to RS

    > I have a Thinkpad without RS, and a Palm III without USB :-) does
    > anybody have experience with connecting Palm III using a USB to

    serial
    > converter? The available Howto's do not seem to be conclusive

    about

    Yes, it works very well. Later Palm devices, with USB built in, are
    problematic to setup (well, they have been for me anyway).

    > On a more general note -- assuming I have a USB to RS converter. I

    have
    > read that it creates the device /dev/ttyUSB0. Does it work exactly

    the
    > same as if I had a serial port and used /dev/ttyS0?

    More or less. There are a few differences - for instance, ttyUSB0 won't
    exist until the adapter is plugged in.

+ Reply to Thread