No mouse on IBM T21 - Portable

This is a discussion on No mouse on IBM T21 - Portable ; This is a continuation of problems I've had getting X going on an IBM T21 using kernel 2.6.10. At this point gnome starts, but the mouse and the trackpoint do nothing. The kernel is compiled with psaux support. I have ...

  1. No mouse on IBM T21

    This is a continuation of problems I've had getting X going on an IBM
    T21 using kernel 2.6.10. At this point gnome starts, but the mouse and
    the trackpoint do nothing. The kernel is compiled with psaux support.
    I have posted xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log at
    http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf and
    http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log

    Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks,
    Fred

  2. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:54:57 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > This is a continuation of problems I've had getting X going on an IBM
    > T21 using kernel 2.6.10. At this point gnome starts, but the mouse
    > and the trackpoint do nothing. The kernel is compiled with psaux
    > support.
    > http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf
    > http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log

    Well, the thing *looks* like it should be OK. The 2.6 kernel may
    provide some insight though... what's "cat /proc/cmdline" say? It
    should be something like

    root=/dev/hda5 psmouse.proto=bare

    ....because this T21 machine uses the "bare" PS/2 protocol by default,
    and trying to probe for imps or exps may confuse the poor little
    Trackpoint's brain. If that psmouse.proto= parameter isn't there, then
    dumb things may happen (like the kernel not probing for any PS/2 mice!).
    I don't remember exactly what happened when I screwed up that parameter
    the first time I tried booting a 2.6.10 kernel, but ISTR that an edit of
    /boot/grub/menu.lst and a reboot (argh) were required. Anyway... the
    psmouse thing is just the first thing I'd check, it's possible the
    problem is something else entirely.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:54:57 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >
    >>This is a continuation of problems I've had getting X going on an IBM
    >>T21 using kernel 2.6.10. At this point gnome starts, but the mouse
    >>and the trackpoint do nothing. The kernel is compiled with psaux
    >>support.
    >>http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf
    >>http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log

    > Well, the thing *looks* like it should be OK. The 2.6 kernel may
    > provide some insight though... what's "cat /proc/cmdline" say? It
    > should be something like
    >
    > root=/dev/hda5 psmouse.proto=bare
    >
    > ...because this T21 machine uses the "bare" PS/2 protocol by default,
    > and trying to probe for imps or exps may confuse the poor little
    > Trackpoint's brain. If that psmouse.proto= parameter isn't there, then
    > dumb things may happen (like the kernel not probing for any PS/2 mice!).
    > I don't remember exactly what happened when I screwed up that parameter
    > the first time I tried booting a 2.6.10 kernel, but ISTR that an edit of
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst and a reboot (argh) were required. Anyway... the
    > psmouse thing is just the first thing I'd check, it's possible the
    > problem is something else entirely.

    I am getting "root=/dev/hda3". After a bit of fishing around, I still
    have no idea how to get /proc/cmdline set to what you suggest. The grub
    docs. were not sufficient for me to see what to put in grub.1st. It
    seems as though you have once again put your finger the problem though.
    Many thanks,
    Fred

  4. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:16:49 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:54:57 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    >> Sun and said:
    >>>This is a continuation of problems I've had getting X going on an IBM
    >>>T21 using kernel 2.6.10. At this point gnome starts, but the mouse
    >>>and the trackpoint do nothing. The kernel is compiled with psaux
    >>>support.
    >>>http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf
    >>>http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log

    >> "cat /proc/cmdline" say? It should be something like
    >> root=/dev/hda5 psmouse.proto=bare
    >>
    >> If that psmouse.proto= parameter isn't there, then dumb things may
    >> happen (like the kernel not probing for any PS/2 mice!). I don't
    >> remember exactly what happened when I screwed up that parameter the
    >> first time I tried booting a 2.6.10 kernel, but ISTR that an edit of
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst and a reboot (argh) were required. Anyway... the

    > I am getting "root=/dev/hda3". After a bit of fishing around, I still
    > have no idea how to get /proc/cmdline set to what you suggest.

    /proc/cmdline is set to the command line that was used to launch the
    kernel. This is set by the bootloader before any kernel starts.

    > grub docs. were not sufficient for me to see what to put in grub.1st.

    GRUB info/man pages are... annoying. One GRUB stanza is like so:

    title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.26
    root (hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/2.4.26 hdc=ide-scsi root=/dev/hda6

    ....the string "hdc=ide-scsi root=/dev/hda6" is present in my
    /proc/cmdline on my laptop. So, all you have to do is edit
    /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the string "psmouse.proto=bare" to the end
    of the line where you have "kernel /boot/2.6.10". And then reboot
    (sigh) and see if it works. There's a pretty good breakdown of how to
    configure GRUB in the Gentoo handbook;
    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...part=1&chap=10 .

    > It seems as though you have once again put your finger the problem
    > though.

    Don't count the problem solved until all the bits are working perfectly!
    Oh well, try it out, see if it works, if so, yay! If not, we'll keep
    going....

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  5. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:16:49 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >
    >>Dances With Crows wrote:

    >>>"cat /proc/cmdline" say? It should be something like
    >>>root=/dev/hda5 psmouse.proto=bare
    >>>
    >>>If that psmouse.proto= parameter isn't there, then dumb things may
    >>>happen (like the kernel not probing for any PS/2 mice!). I don't
    >>>remember exactly what happened when I screwed up that parameter the
    >>>first time I tried booting a 2.6.10 kernel, but ISTR that an edit of
    >>>/boot/grub/menu.lst and a reboot (argh) were required. Anyway... the

    >>I am getting "root=/dev/hda3". After a bit of fishing around, I still
    >>have no idea how to get /proc/cmdline set to what you suggest.

    > /proc/cmdline is set to the command line that was used to launch the
    > kernel. This is set by the bootloader before any kernel starts.
    >

    >>grub docs. were not sufficient for me to see what to put in grub.1st.

    > GRUB info/man pages are... annoying. One GRUB stanza is like so:
    >
    > title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.26
    > root (hd0,5)
    > kernel /boot/2.4.26 hdc=ide-scsi root=/dev/hda6
    >
    > ...the string "hdc=ide-scsi root=/dev/hda6" is present in my
    > /proc/cmdline on my laptop. So, all you have to do is edit
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the string "psmouse.proto=bare" to the end
    > of the line where you have "kernel /boot/2.6.10". And then reboot
    > (sigh) and see if it works. There's a pretty good breakdown of how to
    > configure GRUB in the Gentoo handbook;
    > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...part=1&chap=10 .
    >

    >>It seems as though you have once again put your finger the problem
    >>though.

    > Don't count the problem solved until all the bits are working perfectly!
    > Oh well, try it out, see if it works, if so, yay! If not, we'll keep
    > going....

    I certainly appreciate you willingness "to keep going". Silly me, I
    thought this was the solution. cat /proc/cmdline now gives
    "root=/dev/hda3 psmouse.proto=bare", but neither mouse does anything. I
    have replaced http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log with the latest
    result. There is a diagnostic at the end of that file, but I believe it
    is not part of the problem, but ...? Thanks again,
    Fred

  6. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:49:32 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:

    Sorry for the delay; stuff keeps happening here.

    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:16:49 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    >> Sun and said:

    [snip]
    >> So, all you have to do is edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the string
    >> "psmouse.proto=bare" to the end of the line where you have "kernel
    >> /boot/2.6.10". And then reboot (sigh) and see if it works.

    [snip]
    >> Don't count the problem solved until the bits are working perfectly!

    > thought this was the solution. cat /proc/cmdline now gives
    > "root=/dev/hda3 psmouse.proto=bare", but neither mouse does anything.
    > I have replaced http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log with the
    > latest result. There is a diagnostic at the end of that file, but I
    > believe it is not part of the problem, but ...? Thanks again,

    OK, I got 2.6.10 running on my A22p, and with psmouse.proto=bare in the
    kernel command line, everything works. No change to xorg.conf; the same
    X config works properly whether I'm using 2.4.28 or 2.6.10. The
    last 3 messages from your X log are this:

    (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "PS2Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
    (II) PS2Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
    AUDIT: Mon Feb 14 17:03:49 2005: 5898 X: client 4 rejected from local
    host

    ....so X found the mouse, or so it thinks. I'm almost positive that the
    AUDIT line is not related to this mouse problem. What I'd do now is
    this:

    0. Go into the machine's BIOS Setup and make sure the TrackPoint is
    enabled. Yes, it'd be dumb to have it disabled, but sometimes people do
    dumb things.

    1. Check IRQ 12 by doing "cat /proc/interrupts", push the Trackpoint
    around, check IRQ 12 again. The number of IRQs received on 12 should
    increase when you push the Trackpoint. If it doesn't, there's a problem
    with the hardware or with the kernel bits; if it does, there's a problem
    with X's config.

    2. Comment out the AllowMouseOpenFail line in your xorg.conf, restart X,
    see if it fails to start. It may write a slightly more verbose
    explanation of what went wrong to Xorg.0.log if it dies.

    3. Drink a beer. You probably need one after all this hassle :-)

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  7. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:49:32 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >
    > Sorry for the delay; stuff keeps happening here.
    >

    >>Dances With Crows wrote:

    > [snip]
    >
    >>>So, all you have to do is edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the string
    >>>"psmouse.proto=bare" to the end of the line where you have "kernel
    >>>/boot/2.6.10". And then reboot (sigh) and see if it works.

    > [snip]
    >
    >>>Don't count the problem solved until the bits are working perfectly!

    >>thought this was the solution. cat /proc/cmdline now gives
    >>"root=/dev/hda3 psmouse.proto=bare", but neither mouse does anything.
    >>I have replaced http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log with the
    >>latest result. There is a diagnostic at the end of that file, but I
    >>believe it is not part of the problem, but ...? Thanks again,

    > OK, I got 2.6.10 running on my A22p, and with psmouse.proto=bare in the
    > kernel command line, everything works. No change to xorg.conf; the same
    > X config works properly whether I'm using 2.4.28 or 2.6.10. The
    > last 3 messages from your X log are this:
    >
    > (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "PS2Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
    > (II) PS2Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
    > AUDIT: Mon Feb 14 17:03:49 2005: 5898 X: client 4 rejected from local
    > host
    >
    > ...so X found the mouse, or so it thinks. I'm almost positive that the
    > AUDIT line is not related to this mouse problem. What I'd do now is
    > this:
    >
    > 0. Go into the machine's BIOS Setup and make sure the TrackPoint is
    > enabled. Yes, it'd be dumb to have it disabled, but sometimes people do
    > dumb things.
    >
    > 1. Check IRQ 12 by doing "cat /proc/interrupts", push the Trackpoint
    > around, check IRQ 12 again. The number of IRQs received on 12 should
    > increase when you push the Trackpoint. If it doesn't, there's a problem
    > with the hardware or with the kernel bits; if it does, there's a problem
    > with X's config.
    >
    > 2. Comment out the AllowMouseOpenFail line in your xorg.conf, restart X,
    > see if it fails to start. It may write a slightly more verbose
    > explanation of what went wrong to Xorg.0.log if it dies.
    >
    > 3. Drink a beer. You probably need one after all this hassle :-)

    Thank you so much for sticking with this. I had disabled the
    trackpoint, but this was just the latest action in a lot of desperate
    attempts.

    The check if IRQ 12 was insightful. It is not even listed. And no
    other interrupts change (other than timer and i8042) when I move the
    mouse. Same is true when the serial mouse is plugged in and it moves.

    A close look at the kernel configuration and I saw that my mouse and
    serial port were set as loadable modules. I guess I did this as I
    didn't know what was needed and figured it was better not to load
    something wrong and let Linux figure out what needed to be loaded. BIG
    mistake. With the new kernel the trackpoint works. The serial mouse
    does not. I've posted the following

    http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf X11 config
    http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log X11 log file
    http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/config-2.6.10 Kernel Configuration

    The cmdline still has psmouse.proto=bare in it.

    If your patience is not exhausted I'd love to get the serial mouse
    going. For what it is worth, here are the current interrupts (copy and
    paste is working!).

    t21 root # cat /proc/interrupts
    CPU0
    0: 1502161 XT-PIC timer
    1: 1566 XT-PIC i8042
    2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    7: 42 XT-PIC parport0
    9: 10 XT-PIC acpi, yenta
    10: 3 XT-PIC uhci_hcd
    11: 453 XT-PIC yenta, eth0
    12: 13030 XT-PIC i8042
    14: 4334 XT-PIC ide0
    15: 16 XT-PIC ide1
    NMI: 0
    ERR: 0

    Meanwhile it wonderful to have a system that can be used.
    Many many thanks for your wonderful assistance,
    Fred

  8. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:52:26 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:

    [ problems with the Trackpoint on a Thinkpad T21, snipped]
    >> 0. Go into the machine's BIOS Setup and make sure the TrackPoint is
    >> enabled. Yes, it'd be dumb to have it disabled, but sometimes people
    >> do dumb things.
    >>
    >> 3. Drink a beer. You probably need one after all this hassle :-)

    > Thank you so much for sticking with this. I had disabled the
    > trackpoint, but this was just the latest action in a lot of desperate
    > attempts.
    >
    > The check if IRQ 12 was insightful. It is not even listed. A close
    > look at the kernel configuration and I saw that my mouse and serial
    > port were set as loadable modules.

    PS/2 mouse support should usually be built in to the kernel. If for
    some reason, you want to have it as a module, the line "psmouse" must be
    present in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 , so it'll be loaded
    before X starts.

    When you say "serial port", what did you really mean? The 9-pin port on
    the back of the machine is the serial port. The rectangular port that's
    about 13mm * 4mm and has 4 wires is the USB port. USB != serial.

    > know what was needed and figured it was better not to load something
    > wrong and let Linux figure out what needed to be loaded. BIG mistake.

    Most of the time, modules are better, but there are a few things that
    need to be built in. (IDE disk support, ELF binary support, support for
    the filesystem where your / is, SCSI support, SCSI disk support, and
    support for your SCSI card if your / is on a SCSI disk.) The real
    problem is probably related to devfs/udev. Typically, the kernel looks
    at /etc/modules.conf and loads module NNN when a device with major
    number M is accessed. But with devfs/udev, the device with major M
    doesn't typically exist until the module is loaded! (That's why you put
    a bunch of modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 ; when all the
    stuff you need is loaded, all the devices exist, and everyone's happy.)

    > With the new kernel the trackpoint works. The serial mouse does not.

    Your X config file has a USB mouse defined, but no serial mice. Make
    sure your terminology is correct; it saves a lot of hassle. I'm going
    to assume that you meant "USB mouse" because that makes more sense--
    9-pin serial mice are fairly rare these days.

    > http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf
    > http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log
    > http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/config-2.6.10

    (uhci_hcd, usbcore, usbhid are all built in to the kernel)

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "USBMouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "PS/2" # should be IMPS/2; all USB mice use that.
    Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
    # This isn't right, I think. Try /dev/input/mouse1 or mouse0.
    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    # Don't use this if your mouse has a wheel.
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50 # or this
    # Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" # If your USB mouse has a wheel.
    EndSection

    # in ServerLayout section
    InputDevice "PS2Mouse" "CorePointer"
    # InputDevice "USBMouse" "CorePointer"

    # Change that to
    InputDevice "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
    # since X won't use the device if it's commented out, and you can only
    # have one CorePointer IIRC. Change config file, restart X and try
    # again (sigh).

    > t21 root # cat /proc/interrupts
    > 0: 1502161 XT-PIC timer
    > 1: 1566 XT-PIC i8042
    > 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    > 7: 42 XT-PIC parport0
    > 9: 10 XT-PIC acpi, yenta
    > 10: 3 XT-PIC uhci_hcd
    > 11: 453 XT-PIC yenta, eth0
    > 12: 13030 XT-PIC i8042
    > 14: 4334 XT-PIC ide0
    > 15: 16 XT-PIC ide1

    Looks fairly reasonable to me.

    > Many many thanks for your wonderful assistance,

    No problem.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  9. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    Dances With Crows wrote:
> [...]

    > # in ServerLayout section
    > InputDevice "PS2Mouse" "CorePointer"
    > # InputDevice "USBMouse" "CorePointer"
    >
    > # Change that to
    > InputDevice "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
    > # since X won't use the device if it's commented out, and you can only
    > # have one CorePointer IIRC. Change config file, restart X and try
    > # again (sigh).
    >

    >>t21 root # cat /proc/interrupts
    >> 0: 1502161 XT-PIC timer
    >> 1: 1566 XT-PIC i8042
    >> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    >> 7: 42 XT-PIC parport0
    >> 9: 10 XT-PIC acpi, yenta
    >> 10: 3 XT-PIC uhci_hcd
    >> 11: 453 XT-PIC yenta, eth0
    >> 12: 13030 XT-PIC i8042
    >> 14: 4334 XT-PIC ide0
    >> 15: 16 XT-PIC ide1

    > Looks fairly reasonable to me.
    >

    >>Many many thanks for your wonderful assistance,

    Just a quick response. It turns out I'm using a very old mouse. I'll
    either need to get a USB mouse, or change xorg.conf for the support of
    the serial mouse. At the moment I'm totally swamped and the laptop is
    actually quite usable. When all is together, I'll write up a short
    summary and post it here and one other place.
    Thanks again,
    Fred

  10. Re: No mouse on IBM T21

    Fred Krogh wrote:
> [...]

    >>> t21 root # cat /proc/interrupts
    >>> 0: 1502161 XT-PIC timer
    >>> 1: 1566 XT-PIC i8042
    >>> 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    >>> 7: 42 XT-PIC parport0
    >>> 9: 10 XT-PIC acpi, yenta
    >>> 10: 3 XT-PIC uhci_hcd
    >>> 11: 453 XT-PIC yenta, eth0
    >>> 12: 13030 XT-PIC i8042
    >>> 14: 4334 XT-PIC ide0
    >>> 15: 16 XT-PIC ide1

    >> Looks fairly reasonable to me.
    >>
    >>> Many many thanks for your wonderful assistance,

    >> No problem.
    >>

    > Just a quick response. It turns out I'm using a very old mouse. I'll
    > either need to get a USB mouse, or change xorg.conf for the support of
    > the serial mouse. At the moment I'm totally swamped and the laptop is
    > actually quite usable. When all is together, I'll write up a short
    > summary and post it here and one other place.

    To end this thread, I got a new 7 dollar PS2/USB mouse. It was easy to
    get the mouse working although I did not succeed in getting the
    trackpoint and external mouse available at the same time. Tried
    following Googled advice on the scroll wheel and have concluded that
    probably the mouse is defective. Thanks again for all the help.
    Fred

+ Reply to Thread