SuSE 9.2 - Thinkpad - Portable

This is a discussion on SuSE 9.2 - Thinkpad - Portable ; In the SuSE 9.2 Control Center, there's an item called "IBM Thinkpad Laptop", which includes a setting "Run Thinkpad KMilo plugin". Does anyone know what this does? There's no info on this, in the help center. Also, using IBM Thinkpad ...

  1. SuSE 9.2 - Thinkpad

    In the SuSE 9.2 Control Center, there's an item called "IBM Thinkpad
    Laptop", which includes a setting "Run Thinkpad KMilo plugin". Does anyone
    know what this does? There's no info on this, in the help center. Also,
    using IBM Thinkpad Laptop, requires /dev/nvram permissions to be set to 664
    or 666, instead of the default 600. However, even though I can set this
    manually, it does not stay through a reboot. I have tried adding the
    command to boot.local, but it doesn't appear to work there either. Is
    there any way, to make the permissions stick?

    tnx jk

  2. Re: SuSE 9.2 - Thinkpad

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.portable.]
    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:52:47 -0500, James Knott staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > In the SuSE 9.2 Control Center, there's an item called "IBM Thinkpad
    > Laptop", which includes a setting "Run Thinkpad KMilo plugin". Does
    > anyone know what this does?

    The kmilo ebuild for Gentoo says:

    kmilo - a kded module that can be extended to support various types of
    hardware input devices that exist, such as those on keyboards.

    ....so I'd guess that the KMilo plugin you talked about is for supporting
    the special buttons and/or Synaptics touchpad on Thinkpads. This is
    overkill for me since I don't have a touchpad on my A22p and the 4
    special buttons are supported just fine with tpb, but you may find it
    useful.

    > using IBM Thinkpad Laptop requires /dev/nvram permissions to be set to
    > 664 or 666, instead of the default 600. However, even though I can
    > set this manually, it does not stay through a reboot. I have tried
    > adding the command to boot.local, but it doesn't appear to work there
    > either.

    /etc/init.d/boot.local is always run at boot time. So, something else
    (X startup scripts? /etc/X11/xdm/something ?) is setting it back to
    0600. This is definitely a SuSE-specific thing; I don't see this on my
    Gentoo system.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: SuSE 9.2 - Thinkpad

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > ...so I'd guess that the KMilo plugin you talked about is for supporting
    > the special buttons and/or Synaptics touchpad on Thinkpads.**This*is
    > overkill for me since I don't have a touchpad on my A22p and the 4
    > special buttons are supported just fine with tpb, but you may find it
    > useful.

    tnx

  4. Re: SuSE 9.2 - Thinkpad

    Hi, James,

    James Knott wrote:

    > Also, using IBM Thinkpad Laptop, requires /dev/nvram permissions to
    > be set to 664
    > or 666, instead of the default 600. However, even though I can set
    > this
    > manually, it does not stay through a reboot. I have tried adding
    > the
    > command to boot.local, but it doesn't appear to work there either.
    > Is there any way, to make the permissions stick?

    SuSE runs udev.
    You have to change the permissions for nvram
    in /etc/udev/udev.permissions.

    good luck

    Klaus

    --
    Computers are like air conditioning systems,
    with opened Windows they don't operate effectively!

+ Reply to Thread