X on IBM T21 - Portable

This is a discussion on X on IBM T21 - Portable ; I'm running gentoo linux with kernel 2.6.10. I've tried all the ideas I could find on the web, still no X. Should I post my xorg.conf here? Anybody have any suggestion. A response with mail to fkrogh@mathalacarte.com would be greatly ...

  1. X on IBM T21

    I'm running gentoo linux with kernel 2.6.10. I've tried all the ideas I
    could find on the web, still no X. Should I post my xorg.conf here?
    Anybody have any suggestion. A response with mail to
    fkrogh@mathalacarte.com would be greatly appreciated. With an xorg.conf
    would be even better. Or perhaps suggestions for building the kernel?

    Many Thanks,
    Fred

  2. Re: X on IBM T21

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:15:19 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > I'm running gentoo linux with kernel 2.6.10 [on an IBM Thinkpad T21].
    > I've tried all the ideas I could find on the web, still no X.

    What did you try, and what were the results? Be specific.

    > Should I post my xorg.conf here?

    No; you should put your xorg.conf file on your webspace and follow up to
    this message with another message containing the URL that points to your
    xorg.conf. Config files and logs tend to be > 200 lines long, and since
    not everyone's interested in them, posting them to the whole newsfroup
    just wastes bandwidth and pisses off the people stuck on dialup. If you
    don't *have* webspace, send the file to me (mind the SPAN TRAP) and I'll
    put it up. It'd also be useful to see the entire /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    file and the output of "lspci | grep VGA".

    > A response with mail to fkrogh@mathalacarte.com would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    "Post here, read here" has been the rule on Usenet for a very long time.
    As long as the discussion is on-topic for the newsgroup, it's best to
    keep it in a public place--that way everyone might be able to learn
    something. Also, groups.google can archive the whole thing, so we have
    somewhere to send the next guy who asks about X on a Thinkpad T21.

    > Or perhaps suggestions for building the kernel?

    The kernel is probably irrelevant here. It might be possible to use a
    kernel module to speed up 3D operations (depending on your video
    chipset, etc.) but let's get a basic X working first. Walk before you
    run, and all that.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: X on IBM T21

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:15:19 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >
    >>I'm running gentoo linux with kernel 2.6.10 [on an IBM Thinkpad T21].
    >>I've tried all the ideas I could find on the web, still no X.

    > What did you try, and what were the results? Be specific.
    >

    >>Should I post my xorg.conf here?

    > No; you should put your xorg.conf file on your webspace and follow up to
    > this message with another message containing the URL that points to your
    > xorg.conf. Config files and logs tend to be > 200 lines long, and since
    > not everyone's interested in them, posting them to the whole newsfroup
    > just wastes bandwidth and pisses off the people stuck on dialup. If you
    > don't *have* webspace, send the file to me (mind the SPAN TRAP) and I'll
    > put it up. It'd also be useful to see the entire /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    > file and the output of "lspci | grep VGA".
    >

    >>A response with mail to fkrogh@mathalacarte.com would be greatly
    >>appreciated.

    > "Post here, read here" has been the rule on Usenet for a very long time.
    > As long as the discussion is on-topic for the newsgroup, it's best to
    > keep it in a public place--that way everyone might be able to learn
    > something. Also, groups.google can archive the whole thing, so we have
    > somewhere to send the next guy who asks about X on a Thinkpad T21.
    >

    >>Or perhaps suggestions for building the kernel?

    > The kernel is probably irrelevant here. It might be possible to use a
    > kernel module to speed up 3D operations (depending on your video
    > chipset, etc.) but let's get a basic X working first. Walk before you
    > run, and all that.

    As suggested above, you will find the relevant files at

    http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf

    and

    http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log

    lscpi | grep "VGA" gives the following line

    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV
    (rev 13)

    My hat is off to anyone than can figure out anything from this data!
    Thanks,
    Fred

  4. Re: X on IBM T21

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:09:26 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:15:19 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the
    >> Black Sun and said:
    >>>I'm running gentoo linux with kernel 2.6.10 [on an IBM Thinkpad T21].
    >>>I've tried all the ideas I could find on the web, still no X.

    >> What did you try, and what were the results? Be specific.

    > As suggested above, you will find the relevant files at
    > http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf
    > http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log
    > lscpi | grep "VGA" gives
    > 0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294
    > Savage/IX-MV (rev 13)

    Right. This looks like it should work properly, "savage" is the right X
    server and there are no (EE) lines in the Xorg log file. What happens
    when you start X? Do you get a black screen, or what? This section of
    the config file may be a problem:

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "T21 VideoCard"
    Driver "savage"
    Option "Use Bios" "no"
    Option "ShadowStatus"
    EndSection

    ....this is not correct according to the man page for savage. For a
    laptop, you almost certainly want these Option lines instead:

    Option "UseBIOS" "true"
    Option "ShadowStatus" "true"

    ....since the LCD panel on your laptop has precise timing requirements
    and those will be obtained from the video BIOS *unless* you set UseBIOS
    to false. If the LCD's timing is off, you will probably see no picture
    or a very screwed-up picture. Why'd xorgconfig set that to false? The
    ShadowStatus option may affect you, or it may not--check the man page
    for savage for an explanation of what it does.

    Oh well. Make the changes, restart X, see what you get. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  5. Re: X on IBM T21

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 10:09:26 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >
    >>Dances With Crows wrote:

    >>>What did you try, and what were the results? Be specific.

    >>As suggested above, you will find the relevant files at
    >>http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/xorg.conf
    >>http://mathalacarte.com/fkrogh/Xorg.0.log
    >>lscpi | grep "VGA" gives
    >>0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294
    >>Savage/IX-MV (rev 13)

    > Right. This looks like it should work properly, "savage" is the right X
    > server and there are no (EE) lines in the Xorg log file. What happens
    > when you start X? Do you get a black screen, or what? This section of
    > the config file may be a problem:
    >
    > Section "Device"
    > Identifier "T21 VideoCard"
    > Driver "savage"
    > Option "Use Bios" "no"
    > Option "ShadowStatus"
    > EndSection
    >
    > ...this is not correct according to the man page for savage. For a
    > laptop, you almost certainly want these Option lines instead:
    >
    > Option "UseBIOS" "true"
    > Option "ShadowStatus" "true"
    >
    > ...since the LCD panel on your laptop has precise timing requirements
    > and those will be obtained from the video BIOS *unless* you set UseBIOS
    > to false. If the LCD's timing is off, you will probably see no picture
    > or a very screwed-up picture. Why'd xorgconfig set that to false? The
    > ShadowStatus option may affect you, or it may not--check the man page
    > for savage for an explanation of what it does.
    >
    > Oh well. Make the changes, restart X, see what you get. HTH,

    Thanks for the input, but no dice. X comes up and gives a screen with
    an X in the middle, but nothing other than backspace has any
    effect. When starting with "X" the screen has a fine pattern on it,
    when starting with "startx" the sceen is just black. This is the same
    behavior has previously.
    I do appreciate your efforts. Thanks,
    Fred

  6. Re: X on IBM T21

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:02:04 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:

    [ snip of X configuration details ]
    > Thanks for the input, but no dice. X comes up and gives a screen with
    > an X in the middle, but nothing other than backspace has
    > any effect. When starting with "X" the screen has a fine pattern on

    ??! If you start X by just executing "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" , that's
    exactly what you *should* get! (That's why no one runs X in this way.)
    Your X is working fine; the gray screen is the default X background for
    the root window and the X is the default cursor. Something else is
    wrong. This is why it's important to provide a complete description of
    symptoms.

    > when starting with "startx" the sceen is just black.

    Right. Something else is wrong, then. What's your ~/.xinitrc (the file
    that startx reads when it starts up) look like? It should be a shell
    script that does a bunch of stuff and at its end does something like

    exec $WINDOWMANAGER

    ....where $WINDOWMANAGER is fvwm2, twm, fluxbox, or about 20 other window
    managers. If you don't have a window manager installed, you need to
    emerge one. If you think fiddling with .xinitrc is a PITA, you should
    "emerge kde" or "emerge gnome" (this will take a long time, 1 or 2 days
    or so on this older machine), do "rc-update add default xdm", and set
    the DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/rc.conf to kdm or gdm (kdm for KDE, gdm for
    GNOME) and "/etc/init.d/xdm start", and be happy with your new KDE or
    GNOME desktop.

    > This is the same behavior has previously.

    Hm. The Gentoo Handbook has a couple of pretty easily-readable and
    followable pages on getting GNOME or KDE working with Gentoo. Have you
    read those? http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop ,
    there are some other useful bits there you can look at. They've
    translated the info there into a number of other European languages too,
    so you can probably read it in something other than English if you'd
    prefer that. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  7. Re: X on IBM T21

    Dances With Crows wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:02:04 -0800, Fred Krogh staggered into the Black
    > Sun and said:
    >
    >>Dances With Crows wrote:

    > [ snip of X configuration details ]
    >
    >>Thanks for the input, but no dice. X comes up and gives a screen with
    >>an X in the middle, but nothing other than backspace has
    >>any effect. When starting with "X" the screen has a fine pattern on

    > ??! If you start X by just executing "/usr/X11R6/bin/X" , that's
    > exactly what you *should* get! (That's why no one runs X in this way.)
    > Your X is working fine; the gray screen is the default X background for
    > the root window and the X is the default cursor. Something else is
    > wrong. This is why it's important to provide a complete description of
    > symptoms.
    >

    >>when starting with "startx" the sceen is just black.

    > Right. Something else is wrong, then. What's your ~/.xinitrc (the file
    > that startx reads when it starts up) look like? It should be a shell
    > script that does a bunch of stuff and at its end does something like
    >
    > exec $WINDOWMANAGER
    >
    > ...where $WINDOWMANAGER is fvwm2, twm, fluxbox, or about 20 other window
    > managers. If you don't have a window manager installed, you need to
    > emerge one. If you think fiddling with .xinitrc is a PITA, you should
    > "emerge kde" or "emerge gnome" (this will take a long time, 1 or 2 days
    > or so on this older machine), do "rc-update add default xdm", and set
    > the DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/rc.conf to kdm or gdm (kdm for KDE, gdm for
    > GNOME) and "/etc/init.d/xdm start", and be happy with your new KDE or
    > GNOME desktop.
    >

    >>This is the same behavior has previously.

    > Hm. The Gentoo Handbook has a couple of pretty easily-readable and
    > followable pages on getting GNOME or KDE working with Gentoo. Have you
    > read those? http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop ,
    > there are some other useful bits there you can look at. They've
    > translated the info there into a number of other European languages too,
    > so you can probably read it in something other than English if you'd
    > prefer that. HTH,

    Your suggestions have been invaluable. Many thanks to "Dances with
    Crows". (My last name is pronounced "crow"!) I thought that I had
    gnome installed, but evidently not all of it got in. Anyway after a bit
    of elapsed time it is in and X boots into gnome. At this point
    ..xintitrc only has the line "exec gnome-session". This was set as a
    result of following the install instruction for Gnome as suggested
    above. I have both a mouse button on the keyboard and an external
    mouse. Both worked under Windows prior to deleting it so I don't think
    hardware is the problem. It's late, I'll start looking into mouse
    problems tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread