PCMCIA and mii - Portable

This is a discussion on PCMCIA and mii - Portable ; Hi, My PCMICA card does not seem to support mii-diag or ethtool. The distribution is redhat FC3 and my card is an ne2000 compatible PCMCIA card. (dmesg). The module that controls this card is pcnet_cs. The card seems to work ...

  1. PCMCIA and mii

    Hi,

    My PCMICA card does not seem to support mii-diag or ethtool.

    The distribution is redhat FC3 and my card is an ne2000
    compatible PCMCIA card. (dmesg). The module that controls
    this card is pcnet_cs.

    The card seems to work properly in all aspects, though
    mii-diag and ethtool doesnt seem to work on it.

    strace shows that MIIPHY ioctl fails on the interface with
    not supported error.

    Why is this so ? Do PCMCIA cards require some other ioctl
    commands private to them for tools like mii to work ?

    Thanks in Advance
    Arun

  2. Re: PCMCIA and mii

    Arun wrote:

    > My PCMICA card does not seem to support mii-diag or ethtool.

    > The distribution is redhat FC3 and my card is an ne2000
    > compatible PCMCIA card. (dmesg). The module that controls
    > this card is pcnet_cs.

    > The card seems to work properly in all aspects, though
    > mii-diag and ethtool doesnt seem to work on it.

    > strace shows that MIIPHY ioctl fails on the interface with
    > not supported error.

    > Why is this so ? Do PCMCIA cards require some other ioctl
    > commands private to them for tools like mii to work ?

    The driver only knows how to access the MII for a subset of card
    types. Unlike the basic NE2000 spec, there is no standard for how
    to talk to the MII.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread