replica ATI chips in IBM thinkpads - Portable

This is a discussion on replica ATI chips in IBM thinkpads - Portable ; Hi there, I have an T41/p Thinkpad notebook which should include the ATI FireGL T2 chip, though, my Xorg.0.log gives me the following line: board vendor info: third party grafics adapter - NOT original ATI When turning the laptop around ...

  1. replica ATI chips in IBM thinkpads

    Hi there,

    I have an T41/p Thinkpad notebook which should include the ATI FireGL T2
    chip, though,
    my Xorg.0.log gives me the following line:

    board vendor info: third party grafics adapter - NOT original ATI
    When turning the laptop around I read: Made in China.

    Most probably there is replica hardware in it, isn't it?
    Rather regretful, since IBM notebooks are on the expensive side. That's
    the Lenovo deal...

    Regards, Martin.

  2. Re: replica ATI chips in IBM thinkpads

    > board vendor info: third party grafics adapter - NOT original ATI
    > When turning the laptop around I read: Made in China.
    > Most probably there is replica hardware in it, isn't it?

    Nope. Few people have the resources to copy _silicon_ and ATI would sue
    that Thinkpad off the market if it contained a copy of an ATI chip.

    The reason you see this message is simply that the hardware and
    firmware configuration for the graphics subsystem in your laptop are
    customized by IBM. You would only see "original ATI" if you were
    working with an actual _card_ manufactured by ATI end-to-end. You'll
    never see this on a laptop.

+ Reply to Thread