External Firewire HD help?? - Portable

This is a discussion on External Firewire HD help?? - Portable ; Hi all, I'm trying to get Linux to mount all the partitions of a IOGear 160 gb external hard drive. My system is a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA32. I've tried several live CD's, including Knoppix 3.7, Mandrake Move and Ubuntu Live ...

  1. External Firewire HD help??

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to get Linux to mount all the partitions of a IOGear 160 gb
    external hard drive. My system is a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA32. I've tried
    several live CD's, including Knoppix 3.7, Mandrake Move and Ubuntu Live 4.0.
    The HD has 5 FAT32 partions, but with each of these distros, after much
    tweaking the only partition that I'm able to mount is the first 32 gb
    partition.

    Can anyone help?

    So far what's worked best is to load the modules manually, rescan for
    devices manually then mount manually, but again, it only finds the first
    partition.

    Incidently, I'm using "live CD's" because I'm trying to find a distro that
    will work with all my hardware before I commit to installing to hard disk.

    Thanks,

    Paul

  2. Re: External Firewire HD help??

    renewontime dot com wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm trying to get Linux to mount all the partitions of a IOGear 160 gb
    > external hard drive. My system is a Sony Vaio PCG-FXA32. I've tried
    > several live CD's, including Knoppix 3.7, Mandrake Move and Ubuntu Live
    > 4.0. The HD has 5 FAT32 partions, but with each of these distros, after
    > much tweaking the only partition that I'm able to mount is the first 32 gb
    > partition.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > So far what's worked best is to load the modules manually, rescan for
    > devices manually then mount manually, but again, it only finds the first
    > partition.
    >
    > Incidently, I'm using "live CD's" because I'm trying to find a distro that
    > will work with all my hardware before I commit to installing to hard disk.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul

    Assuming you're mounting the device as a scsi hard drive... are the kernels
    you are using setup for probing all luns? If not, you'll get the symptom
    you described above.
    --

    ************************************************** ****************************
    Registered Linux User Number 185956

  3. Re: External Firewire HD help??

    > Assuming you're mounting the device as a scsi hard drive... are the
    > kernels
    > you are using setup for probing all luns? If not, you'll get the symptom
    > you described above.

    Hi Jerry,

    I don't know, how do I find out?

    Thanks,

    Paul

  4. Re: External Firewire HD help??

    In article <110hfp86b82mf56@corp.supernews.com>,
    renewontime dot com wrote:
    > > Assuming you're mounting the device as a scsi hard drive... are the
    > > kernels
    > > you are using setup for probing all luns? If not, you'll get the symptom
    > > you described above.

    > I don't know, how do I find out?

    Sometimes you can run "zgrep CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN /proc/config.gz". If
    /proc/config.gz isn't there, I don't know what to do.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool;
    and he who dares not is a slave. -Sir William Drummond

+ Reply to Thread