Getting wireless USB adaptor (Netgear MA111) working with Fedora 3 - Portable

This is a discussion on Getting wireless USB adaptor (Netgear MA111) working with Fedora 3 - Portable ; Hello, I started with a fresh install of Fedora 3. Got kernel 2.6.10 and compiled it successfully. New kernel worked fine after removing CUPS from startup. Got linux-wlan-ng version 0.2.1-pre26 and successfully built and installed it. I edited all these ...

  1. Getting wireless USB adaptor (Netgear MA111) working with Fedora 3

    Hello,

    I started with a fresh install of Fedora 3. Got kernel 2.6.10 and
    compiled it successfully. New kernel worked fine after removing CUPS
    from startup. Got linux-wlan-ng version 0.2.1-pre26 and successfully
    built and installed it.

    I edited all these files:

    /etc/wlan/wlan.conf
    /etc/wlan/wlancfg-myssid
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

    But when I type "ifconfig" I only get a listing for "lo" there is no
    wlan0 interface.

    Any help would be most appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Getting wireless USB adaptor (Netgear MA111) working with Fedora 3

    > I started with a fresh install of Fedora 3. Got kernel 2.6.10 and
    > compiled it successfully. New kernel worked fine after removing CUPS
    > from startup. Got linux-wlan-ng version 0.2.1-pre26 and successfully
    > built and installed it.

    Are the modules for the adapter being loaded? I have this adapter and
    while I'm not currently using it (I have a Cardbus card which is easier
    to fit mechanically onto my laptop) I didn't have any trouble getting
    it up and running under Fedora. But I don't recall if I had to add the
    VID/PID for this device manually.

  3. Re: Getting wireless USB adaptor (Netgear MA111) working with Fedora 3

    I can do a modprobe prism2_usb and get no error.

    Everything seems to have loaded. How can I check for sure?

    larwe@larwe.com wrote:
    > > I started with a fresh install of Fedora 3. Got kernel 2.6.10 and
    > > compiled it successfully. New kernel worked fine after removing

    CUPS
    > > from startup. Got linux-wlan-ng version 0.2.1-pre26 and

    successfully
    > > built and installed it.

    > Are the modules for the adapter being loaded? I have this adapter and
    > while I'm not currently using it (I have a Cardbus card which is

    easier
    > to fit mechanically onto my laptop) I didn't have any trouble getting
    > it up and running under Fedora. But I don't recall if I had to add

    the
    > VID/PID for this device manually.

  4. Re: Getting wireless USB adaptor (Netgear MA111) working with Fedora 3

    > I can do a modprobe prism2_usb and get no error.

    It should load automatically, you should NOT need to load it. Also it
    should automatically bring in another module, I think it's called
    either p80211 or p80211b. Does /lib/modules/{version}/modules.usbmap
    show the VID/PID for your adapter?

    What does dmesg show after you modprobe prism2_usb?

  5. Re: Getting wireless USB adaptor (Netgear MA111) working with Fedora 3

    p80211 is there, I can also modprobe it. Neither produces any output
    to dmesg.

    When I grep modules.usbmap for "prism2_usb" I see lots of entries with
    various hex #s.

    larwe@larwe.com wrote:
    > > I can do a modprobe prism2_usb and get no error.

    > It should load automatically, you should NOT need to load it. Also it
    > should automatically bring in another module, I think it's called
    > either p80211 or p80211b. Does /lib/modules/{version}/modules.usbmap
    > show the VID/PID for your adapter?
    >
    > What does dmesg show after you modprobe prism2_usb?

  6. Re: Getting wireless USB adaptor (Netgear MA111) working with Fedora 3

    If neither of those are producing dmesg output then they aren't loading
    right.

    Plug in the adapter. Check /proc/bus/usb/devices to see what the VID
    and PID are (Vendor=xxxx Prod=xxxx). Look in modules.usbmap and see if
    that PID/VID combo is mentioned there. If it isn't, that's why the
    module isn't autoloading and it also explains why the module isn't
    working when you manually load it.

+ Reply to Thread