Dell 7500 w/Fedora C2: how to switch display to external monitor? - Portable

This is a discussion on Dell 7500 w/Fedora C2: how to switch display to external monitor? - Portable ; Hello all, I've recently installed Fedora C2 on a Dell 7500, and all went exactly as expected (it's dual-boot with WindersXP). My challenge now is figuring out how to switch the display from the laptop panel to the external monitor ...

  1. Dell 7500 w/Fedora C2: how to switch display to external monitor?

    Hello all,

    I've recently installed Fedora C2 on a Dell 7500, and all went exactly
    as expected (it's dual-boot with WindersXP). My challenge now is
    figuring out how to switch the display from the laptop panel to the
    external monitor port.

    In WinXP, this is done by hitting the Fn-F7 keys, but that's not
    working with C2. I went digging through the keyboard options, but
    didn't find anything obvious.

    Anyone have any ideas? Other than this hangup, which I'll admit could
    be a show stopper, it's working perfectly.

    Thanks!
    Andy Suplee

  2. Re: Dell 7500 w/Fedora C2: how to switch display to external monitor?

    > I've recently installed Fedora C2 on a Dell 7500, and all went

    exactly
    > as expected (it's dual-boot with WindersXP). My challenge now is
    > figuring out how to switch the display from the laptop panel to the
    > external monitor port.

    What's the video chipset? If ATI, use atitvout.

  3. Re: Dell 7500 w/Fedora C2: how to switch display to external monitor?

    On 4 Feb 2005 08:52:50 -0800, larwe@larwe.com staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    >> I've recently installed Fedora C2 on a Dell 7500, and all went
    >> exactly as expected (it's dual-boot with WindersXP). My challenge
    >> now is figuring out how to switch the display from the laptop panel
    >> to the external monitor port.

    > What's the video chipset? If ATI, use atitvout.

    ? Not quite, dude. ATi makes 3 "chipset families", usually referred to
    as "Mach64", "Rage128", and "Radeon"; they're supported by the ati,
    r128, and radeon Free X servers. All of those chipsets have different
    procedures for enabling the secondary VGA port, and none of them require
    atitvout. atitvout is for enabling the S-Video port found on some
    laptops with ATi chipsets, and it doesn't always work properly.

    r128: Put the line
    Option "Display" "BIOS"
    in your X config file's Device section, and the LCD, VGA-out, or both
    will be used in turn when you press your laptop's switching key
    combination (usually Fn-F7 or something like that.)

    radeon: Put the line
    Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, CRT"
    in your X config file's Device section, and the LCD, VGA-out, or both
    will be used in turn when you press your laptop's switching key
    combination (usually Fn-F7 or something like that.) You may wish to
    read the man page for radeon, since the "CRT2Position" option and other
    options may be useful to you. I don't know for sure what you'd do if
    you don't set that option to its default, "Clone"--put in another
    Monitor and another Screen? Hm. Ask someone who runs dual-head on
    their Radeon if you have a Radeon chipset in this thing.

    ati: Damned if I know. It's unlikely you have a Mach64 video chip
    though.

    Note that you must restart X before you see any changes. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  4. Re: Dell 7500 w/Fedora C2: how to switch display to external monitor?

    > >> now is figuring out how to switch the display from the laptop

    panel
    > >> to the external monitor port.

    > > What's the video chipset? If ATI, use atitvout.

    > ? Not quite, dude. ATi makes 3 "chipset families", usually referred

    Yes quite, dude

    If you want to switch *on-the-fly*, the easiest way is to use atitvout
    to enable the desired display(s), be that LCD, CRT or TV.

    It works very nicely on all the Mobility series chips I've tried.

+ Reply to Thread