Experiences with ATI's drivers: 9600 Radeon Mobility - Portable

This is a discussion on Experiences with ATI's drivers: 9600 Radeon Mobility - Portable ; Can anyone comments on the performance and quality of ATI's binary drivers for the 9600 Radeon Mobility under Linux? Is GLSL or Cg supported? Are the drivers comparable to the quality/speed/perfoaance windows versions? I'm thinking about getting an IBM T42 ...

  1. Experiences with ATI's drivers: 9600 Radeon Mobility

    Can anyone comments on the performance and quality of ATI's binary
    drivers for the 9600 Radeon Mobility under Linux? Is GLSL or Cg
    supported? Are the drivers comparable to the quality/speed/perfoaance
    windows versions?

    I'm thinking about getting an IBM T42 with the Radeon 9600, and I'm
    hoping I can install Linux, the ATI driver, and then enjoy a mostly out
    of box experience with good OpenGL support. I do a lot of scientific
    computing, so good OpenGL is essential for data visualization. I'm
    trying to pick the laptop based on ease of installation and 3D graphics
    performance in Linux.

    Can anyone that does a lot of OpenGL on a Linux laptop comment on this
    choice? Maybe somebody with this exact setup? What about laptops with
    Nvidia chips?

    Thanks!
    -Scott

  2. Re: Experiences with ATI's drivers: 9600 Radeon Mobility

    Morning Scott,

    On 2005-01-31, scottrharris@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can anyone comments on the performance and quality of ATI's binary
    > drivers for the 9600 Radeon Mobility under Linux? Is GLSL or Cg
    > supported? Are the drivers comparable to the quality/speed/perfoaance
    > windows versions?

    Well I'm on the Radeon 9000 Mobility FireGL mcwhatsit or something. I have a
    IBM T40p which works a treat[1] with the open source DRI drivers under X.Org.

    I get just over 2000fps whilst my CPU is clocked at 600Mhz (no ftp increase
    when I knock up the CPU freq).

    > I'm thinking about getting an IBM T42 with the Radeon 9600, and I'm
    > hoping I can install Linux, the ATI driver, and then enjoy a mostly out
    > of box experience with good OpenGL support. I do a lot of scientific
    > computing, so good OpenGL is essential for data visualization. I'm
    > trying to pick the laptop based on ease of installation and 3D graphics
    > performance in Linux.

    To be frank should this not be done on a desktop machine? Also the
    'visualisation' performance issues usually boils down to poor OpenGL writing
    by the coder; as physicist/fluid mechanics guy != opengl coder usually.

    The Thinkpad makes a good solid workstation, but no laptop really makes for
    very good 3d acceleration when compared to desktop machines; its not what
    they are really built to do although now folk think laptops are fashionable
    items and want some fancy 3d card in them now :-/

    > Can anyone that does a lot of OpenGL on a Linux laptop comment on this
    > choice? Maybe somebody with this exact setup? What about laptops with
    > Nvidia chips?

    good luck finding a good *laptop* with that chipset. Usually they just turn
    out to be useless Dell's or Toshiba's.

    When it boils down to it both ATI and Nvidia make good cards, its just ATI
    could not write drivers if it was a life or death situation. Fortunately
    the opensource DRI drivers are rather good, although do not expect to play
    UT2004

    If you have something you want me to run on my lappy at this end, send me the
    source-code and dataset and I'll see how it performs.

    Cheers

    Alex

    [1] http://www.digriz.org.uk/t40p-linux/

    > Thanks!