Toggling Mouse Enable? - Portable

This is a discussion on Toggling Mouse Enable? - Portable ; I run Linux on a couple of laptops with a built in touchpad mouse. I find that whenever I type any significant amount of text, I end up inadvertently brushing the touchpad and getting part of the text misdirected. What ...

  1. Toggling Mouse Enable?

    I run Linux on a couple of laptops with a built in touchpad mouse. I
    find that whenever I type any significant amount of text, I end up
    inadvertently brushing the touchpad and getting part of the text
    misdirected.

    What I want to do is be able to turn some key into a mouse disable, so
    I can toggle it on and off when I'm typing a significant amount of
    text.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Toggling Mouse Enable?

    On 28 Jan 2005 11:11:40 -0800, km@mathcs.emory.edu staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I run Linux on a couple of laptops with a built in touchpad mouse. I
    > find that whenever I type any significant amount of text, I end up
    > inadvertently brushing the touchpad and getting part of the text
    > misdirected.
    >
    > What I want to do is be able to turn some key into a mouse disable, so
    > I can toggle it on and off when I'm typing a significant amount of
    > text.

    xbindkeys will work well for this *if* you can figure out how to disable
    and re-enable input devices while X is running. This may not be easy.
    xbindkeys can bind any key or key combination to any command, though, so
    it's certainly powerful enough to do that.

    Commands... "xset m X Y" won't do what you need. "apropos mouse"
    returns nothing but SVGAlib and ncurses functions for me (what?) Right,
    well the thing to do is find something that temporarily disables the
    mouse and can be executed from the command line, then bind a key
    combination to that.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!