Working with USB Flash Drives? - Portable

This is a discussion on Working with USB Flash Drives? - Portable ; My laptop didn't come with a floppy drive, so I'm making use of a USB Flash Drive. Upon inserting the flash drive into a USB port, Debian recognizes it. I am then able to as root mount it by way ...

  1. Working with USB Flash Drives?

    My laptop didn't come with a floppy drive, so I'm making use of a USB Flash
    Drive. Upon inserting the flash drive into a USB port, Debian recognizes
    it. I am then able to as root mount it by way of,

    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /memstick

    I am able to list, copy, move, delete, etc. the contents of the drive, but
    how do make such privileges for a non-root user accessable?

    I've even tried to chmod "/memstick", as well, have added the following
    information to /etc/fstab,

    /dev/sda1 /memstick vfat rw,noauto,user 0 0

    I've even added the user the the group hal.

    Peter

  2. Re: Working with USB Flash Drives?

    > I am able to list, copy, move, delete, etc. the contents of the drive, but
    > how do make such privileges for a non-root user accessable?

    man mount
    Read the description of uid= in the "Mount options for fat" section.

  3. Re: Working with USB Flash Drives?

    > /dev/sda1 /memstick vfat rw,noauto,user 0 0

    add an 's' to user. s/b users

+ Reply to Thread