X on old Toshiba 310CDS? - Portable

This is a discussion on X on old Toshiba 310CDS? - Portable ; Hi all, I have an old Toshiba 310CDS (200Mhz, 64MB) running Win98. I'd like to use it in a "high risk" environment (a glasshouse!), where I'd only be happy to use a "disposable" machine. All I want to run is ...

  1. X on old Toshiba 310CDS?

    Hi all,

    I have an old Toshiba 310CDS (200Mhz, 64MB) running Win98. I'd like to
    use it in a "high risk" environment (a glasshouse!), where I'd only be
    happy to use a "disposable" machine.

    All I want to run is Firefox (I know it doesn't quite meet system
    reqs) to access my web apps. Is there any linux distro worth trying on
    this? Any recommendations?

    Cheers,

    Toby
    --
    Toby Marsden
    The Living Rainforest

  2. Re: X on old Toshiba 310CDS?

    Have you tried "Damn Small Linux"? I've got it running on my old Pentium
    133 (40mb ram) and it works like a champ. It doesn't come with Firefox
    though, you'd have to install that yourself.

    --
    Paul

  3. Re: X on old Toshiba 310CDS?

  4. Re: X on old Toshiba 310CDS?

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 04:24:32 -0800, Toby Marsden wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have an old Toshiba 310CDS (200Mhz, 64MB) running Win98. I'd like to
    > use it in a "high risk" environment (a glasshouse!), where I'd only be
    > happy to use a "disposable" machine.
    >
    > All I want to run is Firefox (I know it doesn't quite meet system
    > reqs) to access my web apps. Is there any linux distro worth trying on
    > this? Any recommendations?

    My ancient Tecra 510CDT (133MHz, 80Mb) runs Vector Linux Dynamite
    (includes Firefox already) quite nicely. Not fast, but smooth using the
    VESA drivers. I'd expect your machine to run at least as well.

    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  5. Re: X on old Toshiba 310CDS?

    Thanks guys!

    Toby
    --
    Toby Marsden

  6. Re: X on old Toshiba 310CDS?

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:17:10 -0800, toby wrote:

    > Thanks guys!

    You're welcome. Once you've been up and running for a while, let us
    know how your solution is working for you.
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  7. Re: X on old Toshiba 310CDS?

    Toby Marsden wrote:
    > I have an old Toshiba 310CDS (200Mhz, 64MB) running Win98. I'd like to
    > use it in a "high risk" environment (a glasshouse!), where I'd only be
    > happy to use a "disposable" machine.

    > All I want to run is Firefox (I know it doesn't quite meet system
    > reqs) to access my web apps. Is there any linux distro worth trying on
    > this? Any recommendations?

    Any will run. I had both SuSE up to the 9.0 version and Debian testing on
    a Slowshiba 300CT, which was 133MHz, with 64MB. Avoid using KDE or GNOME,
    though. Launch X with no window manager and Firefox in Kiosk mode, and
    you'll be fine. No real need for tiny linux distributions.

    j.

    --
    Fire-fox your konqueror!

+ Reply to Thread