Running 2 independent X sessions on a Dell laptop/ - Portable

This is a discussion on Running 2 independent X sessions on a Dell laptop/ - Portable ; Hi, Can Mandrake run 2 independent X sessions on my laptop. Its a Dell Inspiron 8600 with NVidia GForce Go 5200 I would want one on the internal LCD, and one on the VGA port. Obviously I would only expect ...

  1. Running 2 independent X sessions on a Dell laptop/

    Hi,

    Can Mandrake run 2 independent X sessions on my laptop. Its a Dell Inspiron
    8600 with NVidia GForce Go 5200

    I would want one on the internal LCD, and one on the VGA port. Obviously I
    would only expect the keyboard and mouse to work with one of them! (for now)

    Ive played with the XF86Config.org file, but I cannot get the external VGA
    port to do anything.

    The port is fine, as it works when I use the keyboard shortcut to swap from
    LCD -> external CRT, and twinview works under Windows XP.

    I do NOT want twinview - i want 2 seperate x servers one on each screen.

    Are there any up to date howto's showing how to do this? im running Mandrake
    10.1 with all patches.

    Ive tried duplicating all the entries in my xf86Config file (see below) for
    the second 'card' (with Option "Screen" "2" in the second driver)

    Ive also tried starting X with the second screen only, and it just bombs.

    I think the key is the Screen 0 and SCreen 1 bit in the driver, but if I use
    Screen 1, X doesnt even start.

    Anyone done this?

    thanks

    # File generated by XFdrake.

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
    # this file.
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "Files"
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
    # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent
    of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    FontPath "unix/:-1"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    #DontZap # disable (server abort)
    #DontZoom # disable / (resolution switching)
    AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse
    doesn't work
    EndSection

    Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx" # 3D layer
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
    Option "XkbOptions" ""
    EndSection

    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor0"
    VendorName "Dell"
    ModelName "Flat Panel 1680x1050"
    HorizSync 31.5-100
    VertRefresh 30-90
    Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = aspect-scaled"

    Modeline "1680x1050" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087
    Modeline "1680x1050" 188.07 1680 1800 1984 2288 1050 1051 1054 1096
    Modeline "1680x1050" 214.51 1680 1800 1984 2288 1050 1051 1054 1103
    Modeline "1680x1050" 256.20 1680 1808 1992 2304 1050 1051 1054 1112
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "LG"
    ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x1024"
    HorizSync 31.5-100
    VertRefresh 30-90
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "device0"
    VendorName "nVidia"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "UseEdidFreqs" "yes"
    # Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = ascpect-scaled"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "device1"
    VendorName "nVidia"
    BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "UseEdidFreqs" "yes"
    Option "Screen" "2"
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen0"
    Device "device0"
    Monitor "monitor0"
    DefaultColorDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1680 1050
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    DefaultColorDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1280 1024
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

    Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout0"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    Screen "screen0"
    EndSection

  2. Re: Running 2 independent X sessions on a Dell laptop/

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply.

    I DO in fact want 2 independent X servers. I want to use one for a KDE
    desktop, and the other to play video (mythtv) to a seperate screen.

    I do not want to be able to drag windows etc from one to the other. I want
    NO interaction between the 2 servers.

    Ive tried various combinations of the screens in the layout section - the
    attached XF86.conf file was just what was left after me playing.

    I think my main problem is telling X (or the NVidia driver) to kick out the
    screen on the VGA out port instead of the internal LCD.

    Even forgetting the 2 screens issue, I cannot find the right combination in
    my config file to tell it to use the VGA port instead of the LCD. Ive tried
    Screen 0 and Screen 1 in the driver section.

    Any ideas?

    thanks

    "Dances With Crows" wrote in message
    news:slrncuvi4b.kqt.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org...
> [...]

    >> I've played with the XF86Config.org file, but I cannot get the external
    >> VGA port to do anything. I do NOT want twinview - i want 2 seperate x
    >> servers one on each screen.

    > You're getting your terminology all tangled here. You have *one*
    > graphics card in this machine. This graphics card has dualhead
    > capability. You therefore want *one* X server that drives 2 screens,
    > not 2 X servers. This may seem picky to you, but details count when
    > you're dealing with computers.
    >
    >> Are there any up to date howtos showing how to do this?

    > There should be a README that came with the evil binary-only nVidia X
    > server and kernel module. Read it; it's pretty comprehensive. You want
    > Appendix R. It's probably in /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-NNNN/ , where
    > NNNN is the version# of the evil nVidia module.
    >
    >> Section "Files"
    >> FontPath "unix/:-1"

    > Ick. xfs is usually more trouble than it's worth, but one thing at a
    > time...
    >
    >> Section "Monitor"
    >> Identifier "monitor0"
    >> ModelName "Flat Panel 1680x1050"
    >> EndSection
    >> Section "Monitor"
    >> Identifier "monitor1"
    >> ModelName "Flat Panel 1280x1024"
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> Section "Device"
    >> Identifier "device0"
    >> Driver "nvidia"

    > Screen 0
    >> EndSection
    >> Section "Device"
    >> Identifier "device1"
    >> Driver "nvidia"

    > Screen 1
    >
    > This looks stupid, but that's the way Appendix R of the nVidia README
    > says to do it. You need those Screen lines in each Device section.
    >
    >> Section "Screen"
    >> Identifier "screen0"
    >> Device "device0"
    >> Monitor "monitor0"
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> Section "Screen"
    >> Identifier "screen1"
    >> Device "device1"
    >> Monitor "monitor1"
    >> EndSection
    >>
    >> Section "ServerLayout"
    >> Identifier "layout0"
    >> InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    >> InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    >> Screen "screen0"

    > Not quite correct. You need 2 Screen lines like so instead of 1 Screen
    > line:
    >
    > Screen 0 "screen0"
    > Screen 1 "screen1" leftOf "screen0"
    >
    > Make those changes, restart X, see what happens. If X dies or doesn't
    > work as you expect, look in /var/log/XFree86*.log for the first line
    > that has "EE" in it, and post those EE lines and some context for us in
    > a followup to this message. HTH,
    >
    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
    > see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong

  3. Re: Running 2 independent X sessions on a Dell laptop/

    Turns out what I was doing wrong was not specifying the busid in the driver
    sections of the x conf file.

    I assumed that since it was working on 1 screen, it was aware of where on
    the bus the graphics card sits... seems that was a silly assumption

    The error it gave was

    "more than one matching device section found"

    for the benefit of google groups!

    cheers

    Here is a working conf file, for Mandrake 10.1 with a Dell 8600 Inspiron
    laptop.

    # File generated by XFdrake.

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
    # this file.
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "Files"
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
    # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent
    of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    FontPath "unix/:-1"
    EndSection

    Section "ServerFlags"
    #DontZap # disable (server abort)
    #DontZoom # disable / (resolution switching)
    AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse
    doesn't work
    # Option "Xinerama" "true"
[...]

    VertRefresh 60
    EndSection