No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop - Portable ; I'm trying to install debina sarge on an old Gateway 2100 Solo laptop But it doesn't think I have a sound card. The sound card is built-in. Here is the output from lspci: 0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 430MX - ...

  1. No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop

    I'm trying to install debina sarge on an old Gateway 2100 Solo laptop
    But it doesn't think I have a sound card. The sound card is built-in.

    Here is the output from lspci:
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 430MX - 82437MX Mob. System Ctrlr
    (MTSC) & 82438MX Data Path (MTDP) (rev 02)
    0000:00:01.0 Bridge: Intel Corp. 430MX - 82371MX Mobile PCI I/O IDE
    Xcelerator (MPIIX) (rev 03)
    0000:00:11.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82380PB PCI to PCI Docking Bridge
    0000:00:13.0 PCMCIA bridge: Cirrus Logic CL 6729 (rev ee)
    0000:00:14.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 7548
    0000:01:0a.0 PCMCIA bridge: Cirrus Logic CL 6729 (rev ee)

    I used to have suse on this laptop. It was using the sound blaster
    module, sb. But modprobe sb gave an error that there was "no such
    device".

    I found a message in the google archives from someone who'd installed
    linux on a GW 2100 and they were using the alsa sound drivers. I
    downloaded thos and tried loading the same driver they used, snd-
    maestro3 and it gave me the same message.

    I ran alsaconf and it said there was no sound card detected.

    This is a very old laptop. Maybe debian sarge left something out that
    older machines need?

  2. Re: No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:12:59 +0000 (UTC), JGH staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > I'm trying to install debian sarge on an old Gateway 2100 Solo laptop
    > But it doesn't think I have a sound card. The sound card is built-in.
    >
    > lspci:
    > Host bridge: Intel Corp. 430MX - 82437MX Mob. System Ctrlr
    > Bridge: Intel Corp. 430MX - 82371MX Mobile PCI I/O IDE
    > PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82380PB PCI to PCI Docking Bridge
    > PCMCIA bridge: Cirrus Logic CL 6729 (rev ee)
    > VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 7548
    > PCMCIA bridge: Cirrus Logic CL 6729 (rev ee)

    Your sound card is not on the PCI bus. That means it's going to be a
    PITA to autodetect, since ISA-bus soundcards are rare nowadays and
    getting them to do the right thing was always a bit of a Black Art.

    > I used to have suse on this laptop. It was using the sound blaster
    > module, sb. But modprobe sb gave an error that there was "no such
    > device".

    sb takes parameters, eh? Kind of like so:

    modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5

    ....modify for your setup. The io= and irq= should be OK, not sure about
    the dma= ones though since I've never had a machine with an actual ISA SB
    card in it. If your kernel was built with ISA Plug-n-Pray support, you
    might be able to do:

    modprobe sb isapnp=1

    ....and have everything work. Or not. You'll have to try it and see.

    > I found a message in the google archives from someone who'd installed
    > linux on a GW 2100 and they were using the alsa sound drivers. I ran
    > alsaconf and it said there was no sound card detected.

    ALSA is not really ready for prime time. Try OSS first.

    > This is a very old laptop. Maybe debian sarge left something out that
    > older machines need?

    Nope. You've just got old hardware that requires some fiddling.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  3. Re: No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop

    Dances With Crows wrote in
    > Your sound card is not on the PCI bus. That means it's going to be a
    > PITA to autodetect, since ISA-bus soundcards are rare nowadays and
    > getting them to do the right thing was always a bit of a Black Art.

    So this whole ISA/PCI thing is applicable to laptops? I was kind of
    hoping that wasn't the problem.

    > sb takes parameters, eh? Kind of like so:
    >
    > modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
    >
    > ...modify for your setup. The io= and irq= should be OK, not sure

    No matter what options I pass to modprobe sb I get this error:

    FATAL: Module off not found.

    This started happening after I installed the alsa package.

    Thanks for your help.

  4. Re: No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:25:27 +0000 (UTC), JGH staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote in
    >> Your sound card is not on the PCI bus. That means it's going to be a
    >> PITA to autodetect, since ISA-bus soundcards are rare nowadays and

    > So this whole ISA/PCI thing is applicable to laptops?

    0. Laptops are x86s.
    1. Laptops fight *ALL* the time.
    2. The purpose of the laptop is to flip out and kill people.

    ....OK, maybe not, but point 0 holds.[0] x86 machines may still have a
    number of devices on the ISA bus (PS/2 mouse and keyboard, maybe some
    system management stuff.) Laptops are no exception.

    >> modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
    >> ...modify for your setup. The io= and irq= should be OK, not sure

    > No matter what options I pass to modprobe sb I get this error:
    > FATAL: Module off not found.
    > This started happening after I installed the alsa package.

    ?!? This is something totally dumb. The ALSA package almost certainly
    edited /etc/modules.conf and inserted a few lines like so:

    alias sb off

    ....which should just make any attempt to load the sb module fail
    silently. If you alias something to "off", you shouldn't get a FATAL
    from modprobe. Edit your modules.conf and repair the damage that ALSA
    inflicted. Try again. Iterate until successful. If stressed out, bang
    head on desk, obtain beer, drink beer.

    [0] http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm if you missed this
    particular cliché.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  5. Re: No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop

    Dances With Crows wrote in
    > ?!? This is something totally dumb. The ALSA package almost certainly
    > edited /etc/modules.conf and inserted a few lines like so:
    >
    > alias sb off

    You pegged that one. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of all that crap
    so I reinstalled.

    > head on desk, obtain beer, drink beer.

    you're a genius! Thanks.

    Anyway, parms you gave me for the modprobe sb worked too. Now I just have
    to figure out how to get debian to load that module at boot. Thanks for
    your help.

  6. Re: No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop

    On 22 Jan 2005 17:44:03 CST, JGH staggered into the Black Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote in
    >> ?!? This is something totally dumb. The ALSA package almost
    >> certainly edited /etc/modules.conf and inserted a few lines like so:
    >> alias sb off

    > You pegged that one. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of all that
    > crap so I reinstalled.

    OK, that's killing a fly with a bazooka, but whatever. Reinstallation
    of the entire distro due to a bad config file is usually not the best
    way to fix things.

    >> bang head on desk, obtain beer, drink beer.

    > you're a genius!

    No, just passing on what I learned in college :-)

    > Anyway, parms you gave me for the modprobe sb worked too. Now I just
    > have to figure out how to get debian to load that module at boot.

    Debian, unlike most other distros, doesn't have an /etc/init.d/local
    script that's run at boot time. It should have a file called
    /etc/modules.autoload or /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.n , which
    should contain the names of modules, one per line. Put "sb" on one line
    in there. Or put the line

    alias char-major-14 sb
    options sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1 dma2=5 # whatever the right numbers were

    ....in /etc/modules.conf , and every time you try to access the sound
    device, sb will be loaded automagically with the right parameters.
    Debian may generate the modules.conf file automagically from a bunch of
    other files under /etc/modules.conf.d/ , so look there first. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  7. Re: No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop

    Dances With Crows wrote in
    news:slrncva2lu.ddg.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org:

    said:
    >> Dances With Crows wrote in
    >>> ?!? This is something totally dumb. The ALSA package almost
    >>> certainly edited /etc/modules.conf and inserted a few lines like so:
    >>> alias sb off

    >> You pegged that one. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of all that
    >> crap so I reinstalled.

    > OK, that's killing a fly with a bazooka, but whatever. Reinstallation
    > of the entire distro due to a bad config file is usually not the best
    > way to fix things.

    Editing modules.conf directly seemed to have no effect. Alghouth, maybe
    if I had kept at it something would have worked. But there was a ton of
    stuff in there and nothing I did seemed to do anything anyway. Same
    message over and over "Fatal: module off is not found".

    I believe modules.conf is generated automagically by a program called
    update-modules. This is based on my experiences the alsa modules. But
    'man update-modules' says "This program is obsoltete". Everything I
    found in googe referred me to update-modules. This is when I decided to
    just reinstall. Screw it.

    It was a practically fresh install anyway.

    >> Anyway, parms you gave me for the modprobe sb worked too. Now I just
    >> have to figure out how to get debian to load that module at boot.

    > Debian, unlike most other distros, doesn't have an /etc/init.d/local

    [...]>
    > other files under /etc/modules.conf.d/ , so look there first. HTH,

    I added sb to /etc/modules. And I think that makes debian try to load
    the sb module at boot but I believe it fails for lack of parameters.

    So I haven't figured out how to feed it parameters. The /etc/modules
    file has comments at the top that say the file contains the *names* of
    files to load at boot. I took that literallyBut maybe you can put parms
    there too. I just haven't tried it yet.

    If that doesn't work though, it's back to google.

  8. Re: No sound on Gateway 2100 Solo Laptop

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:09:07 +0000 (UTC), JGH staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote in
    > news:slrncva2lu.ddg.danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows@samant ha.crow202.dyndns.org:
    >> On 22 Jan 2005 17:44:03 CST, JGH staggered into the Black Sun and
    >>> Dances With Crows wrote in
    >>> You pegged that one. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of all
    >>> that crap so I reinstalled.

    >> OK, that's killing a fly with a bazooka, but whatever.
    >> Reinstallation of the entire distro due to a bad config file is
    >> usually not the best way to fix things.

    > Editing modules.conf directly seemed to have no effect.

    Sometimes you need to run "depmod -a" before all changes are recognized.

    > I believe modules.conf is generated automagically by a program called
    > update-modules.

    This program reads files under /etc/modules.d/ and stitches them all
    together into a modules.conf file.

    > 'man update-modules' says "This program is obsoltete".

    ?? That's bizarre. It's just a fairly simple shell script in /sbin.

    >>> Anyway, parms you gave me for the modprobe sb worked too. Now I just
    >>> have to figure out how to get debian to load that module at boot.

    >> Debian, unlike most other distros, doesn't have an /etc/init.d/local

    > [...]
    >> other files under /etc/modules.conf.d/ , so look there first. HTH,

    > I added sb to /etc/modules. And I think that makes debian try to load
    > the sb module at boot but I believe it fails for lack of parameters.

    Yep. That's why you need to have modules.conf set up properly.

    > So I haven't figured out how to feed it parameters. The /etc/modules
    > file has comments at the top that say the file contains the *names* of
    > files to load at boot. I took that literally--But maybe you can put
    > parms there too. I just haven't tried it yet.

    Try editing one of the files under /etc/modules.d/ and adding the line

    options sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1 dma16=5

    ....or whatever options you need, running modules-update, rmmodding sb
    and its dependencies, and reloading them again. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!