Re: Laptop(vaio) install w/out cd-rom - Portable

This is a discussion on Re: Laptop(vaio) install w/out cd-rom - Portable ; On 17 Jan 2005 10:29:14 -0800, Moe 512 staggered into the Black Sun and said: > Someone gave me a sony pcg-505fx and the pcmcia card for the cd-rom is > missing. I want to install linux on it (this ...

  1. Re: Laptop(vaio) install w/out cd-rom

    said:
    > Someone gave me a sony pcg-505fx and the pcmcia card for the cd-rom is
    > missing. I want to install linux on it (this will be my first linux
    > install).

    Doing an NFS/FTP installation is trickier than doing an installation
    from CD/DVD. Borrow a desktop machine and try a "normal" installation
    so you know what to expect.

    > I have a pc with winxp on it, a router

    ? Using 'DozeXP as a router is like using a riding lawnmower to tow a
    3000-pound trailer. What did you mean? "I have a 'DozeXP machine and a
    router"?

    > I have a USB NIC; can I use that instead of buying a PCMCIA NIC?

    Maybe. Some USB networking adapters work; some don't. You'll have to
    see if your distro's installation medium recognizes the USB NIC, and you
    may have to manually modprobe things. You don't sound ready to manually
    modprobe things; hope that hotplug handles the device.

    > Unfortunately, I've read directions for a hdd install(I don't want to
    > do that- I want to format the whole drive and start a new), and a
    > network install but I didn't understand those.

    Read 'em again. If you didn't understand the directions, you will
    probably make mistakes and waste time. If there are 2 or 3 points you
    didn't understand, post 'em and ask for clarification.

    > Does a network install have to involve another linux machine, or will
    > a winxp machine work?

    Network installations usually involve NFS or FTP. If you can mount the
    distro CD/DVD on the 'DozeXP machine, then export it with NFS, it
    shouldn't be difficult. I don't know whether Free NFS servers exist for
    'DozeXP though. FTP installations just require access to the Net,
    though you'll want something that's faster than dialup for an FTP
    install.

    > I was thinking of using vector linux. If anyone has a good suggestion
    > for a different distro, please let me hear it.

    You're a newbie; use a newbie-oriented distro like Mandrake or SuSE.

    > The system has limited resources

    What are its specs, then? CPU speed, RAM, disk space?

    > my main uses are: wireless internet, wathing avi movies, and maybe
    > some open.office.

    Movies play fine with mplayer on my 900MHz PIII, but my video card
    supports XV (which makes a lot of difference.) OpenOffice is a RAM and
    CPU hog; you won't be happy with its performance unless you have at
    least 128M and an 800MHz processor. 802.11[abg] should work reasonably
    well as long as the kernel's fairly recent, though you may have to use
    ndiswrapper and the 'Doze kernel modules for some chipsets where the
    manufacturer has refused to release specs. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  2. Re: Laptop(vaio) install w/out cd-rom

    First let me thank you all for your help.

    Sorry, let me clarify that. What I meant is I have a winxp desktop. I
    also have a d-link router (which I assume is necessary for networking).

    You're right I won't be 'modprobing' anything anytime soon.

    OK, when you say
    "If you can mount the distro CD/DVD on the 'DozeXP machine, then
    export it with NFS, it shouldn't be difficult."

    What do you mean? 1) What and how do I mount on the windows machine?
    2) How do I export it with NFS?

    Sorry, I'm sure these seem basic to you, but when I try reading about
    them they start talking above my level.

    The Specs are: Pentium 266 w/mmx. 64MB RAM (Trying to upgrade this
    cheaply, if possible). 4GB hdd. It has win98 on it now, but I plan on
    wiping that with the install. I'm perfectly fine with no open office.

    Dances With Crows wrote:
> [...]

    > > The system has limited resources

    > What are its specs, then? CPU speed, RAM, disk space?
    >
    > > my main uses are: wireless internet, wathing avi movies, and maybe
    > > some open.office.

    > Movies play fine with mplayer on my 900MHz PIII, but my video card
    > supports XV (which makes a lot of difference.) OpenOffice is a RAM

    and
    > CPU hog; you won't be happy with its performance unless you have at
    > least 128M and an 800MHz processor. 802.11[abg] should work

    reasonably
    > well as long as the kernel's fairly recent, though you may have to

    use
    > ndiswrapper and the 'Doze kernel modules for some chipsets where the
    > manufacturer has refused to release specs. HTH,
    >
    > --
    > Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us

    to see
    > Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin / mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    > http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!
    > -----------------------------/

    http://crow202.dyndns.org/~mhgraham/resume

  3. Re: Laptop(vaio) install w/out cd-rom

    On 17 Jan 2005 12:32:31 -0800, Moe 512 staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:

    Please don't top-post. Message rearranged for easier reading
    comprehension.

    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >> On 17 Jan 2005 10:29:14 -0800, Moe 512 staggered into the Black Sun
    >> and said:
    >> > Someone gave me a sony pcg-505fx and I have a pc with winxp on it,
    >> > a router

    >> What did you mean? "I have a 'DozeXP machine and a router"?

    > Sorry, let me clarify that. What I meant is I have a winxp desktop. I
    > also have a d-link router

    OK, no problem.

    >> > I have a USB NIC; can I use that instead of buying a PCMCIA NIC?

    >> Maybe. Some USB networking adapters work; some don't. You'll have
    >> to see if your distro's installation medium recognizes the USB NIC,

    > You're right I won't be 'modprobing' anything anytime soon.

    Boot from the distro's floppy disk (most distros provide a couple of
    floppy disk images on the first CD; use RAWRITE.EXE to write them to
    floppy if you don't have a Linux machine handy) and see if it recognizes
    the USB NIC. If not, you won't be able to use it.

    >> > Does a network install have to involve another linux machine, or
    >> > will a winxp machine work?

    >> Network installations usually involve NFS or FTP. If you can mount
    >> the distro CD/DVD on the 'DozeXP machine, then export it with NFS, it
    >> shouldn't be difficult. I don't know whether Free NFS servers exist
    >> for 'DozeXP though.

    > OK, when you say "If you can mount the distro CD/DVD on the 'DozeXP
    > machine, then export it with NFS, it shouldn't be difficult." What do
    > you mean? 1) What and how do I mount on the windows machine? 2) How
    > do I export it with NFS?

    "mount the distro CD" under 'Doze means "insert the distro CD into a
    CD-R* drive and wait for 'Doze to recognize the CD". Mounting a
    filesystem is more of a Unix/Linux concept than a 'Doze one; I always
    use Linux/Unix terminology for things because it's typically more
    precise/useful than 'Doze terminology.

    Exporting a filesystem with NFS on 'Doze isn't something I've ever tried
    to do. I believe you'll have to install "Microsoft Services For Unix"
    or something like that, then start up its NFS server and say you want to
    export N: as an NFS filesystem named "foobar" (replace N with the "drive
    letter" 'Doze assigns to your CD-R* device.) Then you can do

    mount -t nfs 1.2.3.4:/foobar /mnt/somewhere

    ....replacing 1.2.3.4 with your 'Doze machine's IP address, and the CD-R*
    device will be visible to the Linux machine under /mnt/somewhere.

    > Sorry, I'm sure these seem basic to you, but when I try reading about
    > them they start talking above my level.

    I know the feeling; I've only been using Linux since 1999. I had to use
    NFS to install Linux on a Thinkpad 600X with a broken CD-ROM drive in
    2001, but that was easy since I already had a working Linux desktop
    then.

    >> > The system has limited resources

    >> What are its specs, then?

    > Pentium 266 w/mmx. 64MB RAM (Trying to upgrade this cheaply, if
    > possible). 4GB hdd.

    OK, this is not going to work really well with OpenOffice or mplayer. I
    don't have access to a machine this slow anymore, so I can't tell you
    how well mplayer will perform, but I'd guess it'd drop frames. You're
    going to want to use a lean window manager (that is, *not* KDE or GNOME)
    and that'll probably annoy you. Oh well, good luck anyway....

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!