Printing in Linux unreliable over wireless - Portable

This is a discussion on Printing in Linux unreliable over wireless - Portable ; I'm printing to an SMB printer (LaserJet 5MP shared from a box running Windows ME) from my laptop (FC3, 2.6.10). This works perfectly when I'm using wired Ethernet. However, when I move to a room with no wired and have ...

  1. Printing in Linux unreliable over wireless

    I'm printing to an SMB printer (LaserJet 5MP shared from a box running
    Windows ME) from my laptop (FC3, 2.6.10). This works perfectly when I'm
    using wired Ethernet. However, when I move to a room with no wired and
    have to use 802.11b, I have a LOT of trouble printing reliably. I can
    sometimes print one or two pages of a document, but it almost always
    stalls after that point with a timeout error. Worse, after it times out
    it is _impossible_ to revive the printer, even by rebooting. I have to
    delete the print queue and recreate it.

    Is there anything one do to make this more reliable? Anything that can
    be done to "reset" the queue at least so I don't have to regenerate it
    every time it hangs?

  2. Re: Printing in Linux unreliable over wireless

    larwe@larwe.com wrote:

    > I'm printing to an SMB printer (LaserJet 5MP shared from a box running
    > Windows ME) from my laptop (FC3, 2.6.10). This works perfectly when
    > I'm using wired Ethernet. However, when I move to a room with no wired
    > and have to use 802.11b, I have a LOT of trouble printing reliably. I
    > can sometimes print one or two pages of a document, but it almost
    > always stalls after that point with a timeout error. Worse, after it
    > times out it is _impossible_ to revive the printer, even by rebooting.
    > I have to delete the print queue and recreate it.
    >
    > Is there anything one do to make this more reliable? Anything that can
    > be done to "reset" the queue at least so I don't have to regenerate it
    > every time it hangs?

    Windows Me was not designed with printing from non-Microsoft OS's in
    mind. If possible use a print-server designed for for the task. D-Link,
    HP and others make print servers for this, a couple of examples;

    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174
    http://www.hp.com/go/jetdirect

    Depending on your wireless configuration;

    Some wireless routers have a print server built in, if this is the case
    then use this instead of connecting your printer to the Windows Me
    system.

    Example; http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=3&pid=336