acer 4002 WLMi Display Specs - Portable

  2. Re: acer 4002 WLMi Display Specs

    On 2005-01-16, Simao Mata wrote:
    > Does anyone know the specs for the acer 4002 WLMi screen?

    Well, if you have the lapdog and they are not in the docs and you already
    checked www.linux-laptop.net, I'd say use a 'default' one or ring
    Acer support and ask them.

    Davide

    --
    If men are from Mars and women are from venus, there is going to be a big
    ass fight over the thermostat.

  3. Re: acer 4002 WLMi Display Specs

    >I need the HorizSync
    >and VertRefresh values, but I can't find them anywhere.

    These numbers are meaningless for digital-drive LCDs.

  4. Re: acer 4002 WLMi Display Specs

    On 16 Jan 2005 06:17:17 -0800, larwe@larwe.com staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    >>I need the HorizSync and VertRefresh values, but I can't find them
    >>anywhere.

    > These numbers are meaningless for digital-drive LCDs.

    Like hell they are. X *requires* a decent range of frequencies in the
    Hsync and Vsync lines in its config file. If you use the values for
    "generic" LCDs (Hsync 40-80KHz, Vsync 50-70Hz or thereabouts) then it's
    highly likely that the LCD will only be able to display its native
    resolution. If you increase the ranges some (I use Hsync 20-150KHz,
    Vsync 10-400Hz on my Thinkpad A22p) then you can use more modes, because
    X will eliminate modes where the Hsync or Vsync values fall outside the
    parameters specified in the config file. You can see this by doing
    "grep -i modeline /var/log/XFree86.0.log" ; if your Hsync or Vsync
    ranges are too narrow, you'll see "Modeline (640x480) deleted,
    insufficient Hsync/Vsync/Doublescan" or something like that.

    The LCD's native resolution will always look better than the
    interpolated things you'll have to use for other resolutions. You may
    want to have 640x480 or 800x600 available for games or movies or users
    with poor eyesight. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  5. Re: acer 4002 WLMi Display Specs

    >highly likely that the LCD will only be able to display its native
    >resolution

    The LCD can ONLY display its native resolution. Anything else is scaled
    or windowed by the LCD controller. I'm not aware of any LCD chipset
    that implements downscaling (at least on local interfaces), only
    upscaling and in some cases anti-aliasing. This means that you can
    never run the internal LCD using a resolution that's higher than the
    physical resolution of the panel.

    The chances are better than excellent - approaching certainty - that if
    you pick any old H/V sync limits that allow X to start at the LCD's
    native resolution, you'll also be able to run the lower resolutions.

    You can pick vast world-spanning values like 15-100kHz H and 25-150Hz V
    and you'll be fine, on the internal display anyway. There is simply not
    the same criticality that there is when driving a CRT monitor. No HOT
    to blow.

  6. Re: acer 4002 WLMi Display Specs

    On 16 Jan 2005 07:31:13 -0800, larwe@larwe.com staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Dances With Crows wrote:
    >>highly likely that the LCD will only be able to display its native
    >>resolution

    > The LCD can ONLY display its native resolution. Anything else is
    > scaled or windowed by the LCD controller.

    If you want to get pedantic, yeah, this is true.

    > The chances are better than excellent - approaching certainty - that
    > if you pick any old H/V sync limits that allow X to start at the LCD's
    > native resolution, you'll also be able to run the lower resolutions.

    Where are you getting this information? It's *totally* *wrong* IME. If
    I set the Hsync and Vsync ranges to the "generic LCD" range on my
    Thinkpad A22p, the only resolution I can use is 1600x1200. Every other
    modeline is rejected by X as exceeding the H and Vsync limits. It's
    certainly possible that you can display 640x480 on this LCD with this
    graphics chipset while keeping the H and Vsync in the 40-80 and 50-70
    range, but X *will* *not* allow it. This isn't a monitor problem. It's
    X being paranoid about sync rates.

    > You can pick vast world-spanning values like 15-100kHz H and 25-150Hz
    > V and you'll be fine, on the internal display anyway. There is simply
    > not the same criticality that there is when driving a CRT monitor.

    True. IMHO, X should make a basic check during EDID initialization (if
    possible) and relax its restrictions on sync rates if it detects an LCD.
    Of course, video chipsets/monitors may not provide this capability, so
    the X developers may not have implemented it....

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!