Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver? - Portable

This is a discussion on Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver? - Portable ; I can't work out where exactly xscreensaver is being loaded from, and it annoys me I want my laptop's backlight to go off when the screen is blanked. DPMS works fine. But xscreensaver has a known bug that disables DPMS. ...

  1. Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    I can't work out where exactly xscreensaver is being loaded from, and
    it annoys me I want my laptop's backlight to go off when the screen
    is blanked. DPMS works fine. But xscreensaver has a known bug that
    disables DPMS.

    I don't want xscreensaver, I want to kill it permanently. Short of rpm
    --erase --nodeps, how can I prevent xscreensaver from loading? I'm
    using FC3 with GNOME. Damned if I can work out where the config file is
    that loads it.

  2. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    > But xscreensaver has a known bug that disables DPMS.

    I don't think it's a bug. Or at least, if it's a bug, it's one you can
    conveniently enable/disable via Xresources:

    XScreenSaver.dpmsEnabled: true

    -- Stefan

  3. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    Stefan Monnier wrote:
    > > But xscreensaver has a known bug that disables DPMS.

    > I don't think it's a bug. Or at least, if it's a bug, it's one you

    can
    > conveniently enable/disable via Xresources:
    > XScreenSaver.dpmsEnabled: true

    Is this a file, or a utility? I don't normally tweak desktop distros
    much; my tweaking is on embedded devices where I build from the ground
    up.

    This behavior is reported as a known bug in xscreensaver (from my long
    googling hunting for a way to disable it) - xscreensaver disables DPMS
    when you run it (regardless of settings).

    I'm working around at the moment by running a script at startup that
    does a killall xscreensaver; xset dpms 500 500 500. But I would rather
    NOT load xscreensaver.

  4. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    larwe@larwe.com writes:

    > I'm working around at the moment by running a script at startup that
    > does a killall xscreensaver; xset dpms 500 500 500. But I would
    > rather NOT load xscreensaver.

    grep xscreensaver $HOME/.*

    It might be in $HOME/.xsession or $HOME/.xinit, but whereever it is,
    grep will find it.

    --
    a house-blowing wolfen sneezer / might be a porcine tortfeasor. -- plorkwort
    http://beable.com

  5. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    > > I'm working around at the moment by running a script at startup
    that
    > > does a killall xscreensaver; xset dpms 500 500 500. But I would
    > > rather NOT load xscreensaver.

    > grep xscreensaver $HOME/.*

    This was the first thing I tried. It isn't loaded by anything in my
    home directory. It mnust be in some GNOME default startup file.

  6. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    larwe@larwe.com writes:

    > > > I'm working around at the moment by running a script at startup

    > that
    > > > does a killall xscreensaver; xset dpms 500 500 500. But I would
    > > > rather NOT load xscreensaver.

    > > grep xscreensaver $HOME/.*

    > This was the first thing I tried. It isn't loaded by anything in my
    > home directory. It mnust be in some GNOME default startup file.

    Go recursive:

    grep -r xscreensaver $HOME/.[a-zA-Z]*

    --
    a house-blowing wolfen sneezer / might be a porcine tortfeasor. -- plorkwort
    http://beable.com

  7. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    > > > grep xscreensaver $HOME/.*
    > >
    > > This was the first thing I tried. It isn't loaded by anything in my
    > > home directory. It mnust be in some GNOME default startup file.

    > grep -r xscreensaver $HOME/.[a-zA-Z]*

    Already tried it, no dice. I think the problem is that xscreensaver is
    actually spawned by some other part of GNOME which knows about it
    implicitly.

    There MUST be a way of disabling it. But nobody seems to have
    documented how to do it

  8. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    larwe@larwe.com writes:

    > > > This was the first thing I tried. It isn't loaded by anything in my
    > > > home directory. It mnust be in some GNOME default startup file.

    > > grep -r xscreensaver $HOME/.[a-zA-Z]*

    > Already tried it, no dice. I think the problem is that xscreensaver is
    > actually spawned by some other part of GNOME which knows about it
    > implicitly.

    If it doesn't get started in your home directory, then it must get
    started by something in /etc right? Try grepping in there. Also you
    could try using a tool like Gnome's Control Panel to see if you can
    turn it off there. I'm just guessing here, because I use fvwm and
    Debian, so naturally I can turn things on or off whenever I want to.

    You also could try renaming /usr/bin/xscreensaver to something else,
    and then start up your system. After that, check your logfiles for
    errors. That might give you a clue as to where it's being started.

    --
    a house-blowing wolfen sneezer / might be a porcine tortfeasor. -- plorkwort
    http://beable.com

  9. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    > If it doesn't get started in your home directory, then it must get
    > started by something in /etc right? Try grepping in there. Also you
    > could try using a tool like Gnome's Control Panel to see if you can

    I already checked in /etc and /usr (just in case).

    In Gnome's control panel, you can "disable" screensavers but the
    xscreensaver process still gets started regardless.

  10. Re: Backlight switchoff- How to disable xscreensaver?

    larwe@larwe.com wrote:
    >>If it doesn't get started in your home directory, then it must get
    >>started by something in /etc right? Try grepping in there. Also you
    >>could try using a tool like Gnome's Control Panel to see if you can

    > I already checked in /etc and /usr (just in case).
    >
    > In Gnome's control panel, you can "disable" screensavers but the
    > xscreensaver process still gets started regardless.

    Why not replace the xscreensaver executable with a little shell script
    that does nothing ?

    David

+ Reply to Thread