Suse 9.2 or any other Linux on Compaq Presario 2165AF - Portable

This is a discussion on Suse 9.2 or any other Linux on Compaq Presario 2165AF - Portable ; Hi, I am considering installing Linux on my laptop. I have a Compaq Presario 2165AF with Intel Pentium 4M processor (2.4 GHz). It has Windows XP with NTFS. Has anyone experienced installing Linux on this make of laptops? I have ...

  1. Suse 9.2 or any other Linux on Compaq Presario 2165AF

    Hi,

    I am considering installing Linux on my laptop. I have a Compaq
    Presario 2165AF with Intel Pentium 4M processor (2.4 GHz). It has
    Windows XP with NTFS.

    Has anyone experienced installing Linux on this make of laptops? I
    have read about some linux systems being easy to install and run on
    specific laptops and not others.

    Furthermore, Is this the correct line of action I should adopt?

    1. Download Linux (whichever is appropriate) on CDs
    2. Boot the system with Linux CD and partition the hard disk
    3. Embark on installation

    (I am sure things are far from this simple !)

    Any help, Cheers!

    Moody

  2. Re: Suse 9.2 or any other Linux on Compaq Presario 2165AF

    Mahmood Ahmad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am considering installing Linux on my laptop. I have a Compaq
    > Presario 2165AF with Intel Pentium 4M processor (2.4 GHz). It has
    > Windows XP with NTFS.
    >
    > Has anyone experienced installing Linux on this make of laptops? I
    > have read about some linux systems being easy to install and run on
    > specific laptops and not others.

    I have been running SuSE on an older Compaq laptop. The IR hardware
    didn't work out of the box, and the ATI display adapter wasn't fully
    utilized. Otherwise it has been a nice experience.

    > Furthermore, Is this the correct line of action I should adopt?
    >
    > 1. Download Linux (whichever is appropriate) on CDs

    You cannot download a CD- or DVD-installable version of SuSE. You would
    have to buy the box, or download the CD that will let you install via
    FTP. This is dangerous, though: I have crashed my entire installation
    (including the Windows boot) with this method, because a couple of vital
    components timed out during download - and the install program tried to
    setup everything anyhow.

    > 2. Boot the system with Linux CD and partition the hard disk

    Since you are starting out with NTFS, I would recommend you partition
    the hard disk from Windows. Partition Magic 8.0 is a good tool for this.

    > 3. Embark on installation
    >
    > (I am sure things are far from this simple !)
    >
    > Any help, Cheers!
    >
    > Moody

  3. Re: Suse 9.2 or any other Linux on Compaq Presario 2165AF

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:03:01 -0800, Mahmood Ahmad wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am considering installing Linux on my laptop. I have a Compaq
    > Presario 2165AF with Intel Pentium 4M processor (2.4 GHz). It has
    > Windows XP with NTFS.
    >
    > Has anyone experienced installing Linux on this make of laptops? I
    > have read about some linux systems being easy to install and run on
    > specific laptops and not others.
    >
    > Furthermore, Is this the correct line of action I should adopt?
    >
    > 1. Download Linux (whichever is appropriate) on CDs
    > 2. Boot the system with Linux CD and partition the hard disk
    > 3. Embark on installation
    >
    > (I am sure things are far from this simple !)
    >
    > Any help, Cheers!
    >
    > Moody

    Try Fedora Core 3 or Mandrake 10.1. SUSE CDs are only available in a
    boxed set, if you want to try before you buy you have to do a net install
    which is fairly painful. You can download ISOs for Fedora Core and
    Mandrake.

    Mandrake 10.1 can resize your NTFS partition but it doesn't do
    as good a job as PartitionMagic 8. The NTFS write support in Linux isn't
    great so Mandrake's disk partitioner has to be very conservative. When I
    did an install on my Compaq R3000z Mandrake was only able to shrink the
    NTFS partition down to 20G, with PM8 I was able to get it down to 12G.
    Once you've shrunk the NTFS partition the rest of the install is very easy
    with either FC3 or MDK 10.1, should only take you 30 minutes or so plus
    the time to download and install the updates.

+ Reply to Thread