Samsung boot from CD-ROM? - Portable

This is a discussion on Samsung boot from CD-ROM? - Portable ; Hi, I'm a newbie to Linux and just got a bunch of bootable Linux distro CD's that I want to try on my Samsung Sens 810 notebook. Problem is, I may not be able to boot from CD-ROM? I checked ...

  1. Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    Hi,

    I'm a newbie to Linux and just got a bunch of bootable Linux distro CD's
    that I want to try on my Samsung Sens 810 notebook. Problem is, I may not
    be able to boot from CD-ROM? I checked the system Bios (Phoenix NoteBios
    4.0) and the only boot options I've got are A: (Floppy) and C: (hard drive).
    On this particular model, the CD and floppy share a drive port, so I can't
    have both in the computer at the same time, and they're not hot-swappable.

    Any ideas? Any tricks to force the system to boot from CD-ROM?

    Thanks,

    Paul

  2. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 03:20:32 -0500, Bill Marcum wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:57:20 -1000, renewontime dot com
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm a newbie to Linux and just got a bunch of bootable Linux distro CD's
    >> that I want to try on my Samsung Sens 810 notebook. Problem is, I may not
    >> be able to boot from CD-ROM? I checked the system Bios (Phoenix NoteBios
    >> 4.0) and the only boot options I've got are A: (Floppy) and C: (hard drive).
    >> On this particular model, the CD and floppy share a drive port, so I can't
    >> have both in the computer at the same time, and they're not hot-swappable.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Any tricks to force the system to boot from CD-ROM?
    >>

    > Some Linux distros still include floppy disk images and rawrite to write
    > those disk images from Windows. Some of the newer distros may be
    > difficult to install on a machine so old that it does not boot from CD.

    The OP may be able to install Smart Boot Manager from

    to his hard disk. (Note: just get sbminst for Linux or SBMINST.EXE if you
    are still in DOS/Windows - don't mess with source or rebuilding, there's
    no need).

    This does an excellent job of booting from a CD when the BIOS doesn't know
    how. I have no connection other than having used SBM on a variety of
    machines, always with success.

    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  3. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    > The OP may be able to install Smart Boot Manager from
    >

    > to his hard disk. (Note: just get sbminst for Linux or SBMINST.EXE if you
    > are still in DOS/Windows - don't mess with source or rebuilding, there's
    > no need).
    >
    > This does an excellent job of booting from a CD when the BIOS doesn't know
    > how. I have no connection other than having used SBM on a variety of
    > machines, always with success.

    Thanks Mark. I've spent over an hour now trying to get Smart Boot Manager
    to work. I downloaded the two required files, followed the install
    procedure ( sbminst -t us -d 128 -b sbm-bak.dat ) and it apparently
    installed correctly. But when I booted up it didn't run. It just hung up
    on boot up. Then I tried it from a floppy, same thing, I get a "SBMK Bad!"
    error on boot.

    I tried it with a blank floppy and a floppy that has the DOS system files on
    it (bootable floppy), no luck. I'm assuming that the SBM files are supposed
    to reside in the root directory with the system files, right?

    If this app allows me to boot from CD, that would be great, but so far no
    luck.

    Paul

  4. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 06:05:05 -1000, renewontime dot com wrote:

    > I've spent over an hour now trying to get Smart Boot Manager
    > to work. I downloaded the two required files, followed the install
    > procedure ( sbminst -t us -d 128 -b sbm-bak.dat ) and it apparently
    > installed correctly. But when I booted up it didn't run. It just hung up
    > on boot up. Then I tried it from a floppy, same thing, I get a "SBMK Bad!"
    > error on boot.

    This is all greek to me, I'm afraid. I've made working boot floppies
    under Linux by simply putting a floppy in the drive and typing "./sbminst
    -d /dev/fd0".

    > I tried it with a blank floppy and a floppy that has the DOS system files on
    > it (bootable floppy), no luck. I'm assuming that the SBM files are supposed
    > to reside in the root directory with the system files, right?

    SBMINST.EXE just wants to make a clean disk with nothing on it except SBM.

    > If this app allows me to boot from CD, that would be great, but so far no
    > luck.

    It definitely works on a wide range of machines, including all the
    portables I've ever tried it on.

    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  5. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    > It definitely works on a wide range of machines, including all the
    > portables I've ever tried it on.

    Apparently it just doesn't work on the Samsung Sens notebook. I created a
    new disk on a different computer (a Sony Vaio). I first tried the disk on
    the Sony, and it worked. Then tried the same floppy on the Samsung, and it
    didn't.

    I've got a commercial boot manager (Partition Magic/Boot Magic) but it
    doesn't support booting from CD.

    And the latest is that for some odd reason, the CD-ROM on the Samsung
    stopped copying files bigger than about 20 mb. I was able to copy the
    entire Damn Small Linux image file to hard drive a few days ago, but wiped
    that file off the hard drive to try Knoppix. It wouldn't copy the Knoppix
    image file (750 mb), so I tried copying the DSL file again and it didn't
    work. It'll copy 14-19 mb file just fine, but when I try copying the 49 mb
    DSL file, it goes about 30% of the way and just stops. Tried it from
    Windows 95 and DOS, and tried changing different memory/buffer settings, but
    no luck.

    Paul

  6. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:12:41 -1000, renewontime dot com wrote:
    >> It definitely works on a wide range of machines, including all the
    >> portables I've ever tried it on.

    >Apparently it just doesn't work on the Samsung Sens notebook. I created a
    >new disk on a different computer (a Sony Vaio). I first tried the disk on
    >the Sony, and it worked. Then tried the same floppy on the Samsung, and it
    >didn't.

    >I've got a commercial boot manager (Partition Magic/Boot Magic) but it
    >doesn't support booting from CD.

    >And the latest is that for some odd reason, the CD-ROM on the Samsung
    >stopped copying files bigger than about 20 mb. I was able to copy the
    >entire Damn Small Linux image file to hard drive a few days ago, but wiped
    >that file off the hard drive to try Knoppix. It wouldn't copy the Knoppix
    >image file (750 mb), so I tried copying the DSL file again and it didn't
    >work. It'll copy 14-19 mb file just fine, but when I try copying the 49 mb
    >DSL file, it goes about 30% of the way and just stops. Tried it from
    >Windows 95 and DOS, and tried changing different memory/buffer settings, but
    >no luck.

    sure it's not bad hardware?

  7. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    > sure it's not bad hardware?

    Yeah, after spending almost an entire day trying everything I could thing of
    to copy a 50mb file off a CD-ROM (that worked fine just a few days before),
    I'm pretty darn sure something is now wrong with the CD-ROM. It still plays
    music CD's and copies files under 20mb OK, so that's why I suspected
    something in the memory settings was wrong. But now I'm pretty sure
    something's toast in the hardware. The system still works, though it's not
    worth replacing the CD-ROM. I'll probably make up a null modem cable and
    pass the files over that way.

    Just makes things slower / more difficult. I guess I can't complain too
    much, I think I bought it in 1996 or so and it served as my navigation
    station while sailing across the Pacific (it got splashed by salt water a
    few times, oops...).

    Paul

  8. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:15:06 -0600, TCS wrote:

    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:12:41 -1000, renewontime dot com wrote:
    >>> It definitely works on a wide range of machines, including all the
    >>> portables I've ever tried it on.

    >>Apparently it just doesn't work on the Samsung Sens notebook. I created a
    >>new disk on a different computer (a Sony Vaio). I first tried the disk on
    >>the Sony, and it worked. Then tried the same floppy on the Samsung, and it
    >>didn't.

    This suggests the Samsung has something dodgy about it.

    >>I've got a commercial boot manager (Partition Magic/Boot Magic) but it
    >>doesn't support booting from CD.

    You get what you pay for huh?

    >>And the latest is that for some odd reason, the CD-ROM on the Samsung
    >>stopped copying files bigger than about 20 mb. I was able to copy the
    >>entire Damn Small Linux image file to hard drive a few days ago, but wiped
    >>that file off the hard drive to try Knoppix. It wouldn't copy the Knoppix
    >>image file (750 mb), so I tried copying the DSL file again and it didn't
    >>work. It'll copy 14-19 mb file just fine, but when I try copying the 49 mb
    >>DSL file, it goes about 30% of the way and just stops. Tried it from
    >>Windows 95 and DOS, and tried changing different memory/buffer settings, but
    >>no luck.

    > sure it's not bad hardware?

    That's the way it's looking. Is the CD-drive in the Samsung actually made
    by Samsung? The only CD drive I've ever had fail on me was a Samsung.

    It's more work, but what if you try doing a pure network install?

    http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html

    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  9. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:08:58 +0100, Mark South wrote:
    >On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:15:06 -0600, TCS wrote:
    >
    >>>And the latest is that for some odd reason, the CD-ROM on the Samsung
    >>>stopped copying files bigger than about 20 mb. I was able to copy the
    >>>entire Damn Small Linux image file to hard drive a few days ago, but wiped
    >>>that file off the hard drive to try Knoppix. It wouldn't copy the Knoppix
    >>>image file (750 mb), so I tried copying the DSL file again and it didn't
    >>>work. It'll copy 14-19 mb file just fine, but when I try copying the 49 mb
    >>>DSL file, it goes about 30% of the way and just stops. Tried it from
    >>>Windows 95 and DOS, and tried changing different memory/buffer settings, but
    >>>no luck.

    >> sure it's not bad hardware?

    >That's the way it's looking. Is the CD-drive in the Samsung actually made
    >by Samsung? The only CD drive I've ever had fail on me was a Samsung.

    Is that only the first 20MB it'll read, or is a limit for files
    anywhere on the CD?

    What I'm thinking is maybe it can only read the first 20MB of the disk.
    If a 1MB file was located past this region, it couldn't be read. For that
    problem, it's probably just a matter of checking that CD head can move
    everywhere along the rails. Probably just a matter of lubrication.

    If it's a 20MB limit for files anywhere on the disk, then it sounds
    like a caching problem. Trying screwing around with settings on the
    bios; try turning off UDMA. In linux, play around with hdparm on the
    interface to the CDROM ( hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc for example )

  10. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    > You get what you pay for huh?

    .... yeah. Wasn't cheap either. Could of bought the "grey market" version
    for alot less, but decided to do the "honest" thing and get the real
    version. Fortunately, I didn't get PM just for this particular system

    > That's the way it's looking. Is the CD-drive in the Samsung actually made
    > by Samsung? The only CD drive I've ever had fail on me was a Samsung.

    No, it's actually a Toshiba CD-ROM.

    Paul

  11. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    > What I'm thinking is maybe it can only read the first 20MB of the disk.
    > If a 1MB file was located past this region, it couldn't be read. For that
    > problem, it's probably just a matter of checking that CD head can move
    > everywhere along the rails. Probably just a matter of lubrication.

    Your idea gave me new hope. So I tore the CD apart and gave the
    gears/screw/tracks a quick spray of lube and then ran a couple audio CD's
    (jumping tracks frequently to try and work the gears). No luck.

    > If it's a 20MB limit for files anywhere on the disk, then it sounds
    > like a caching problem. Trying screwing around with settings on the
    > bios; try turning off UDMA. In linux, play around with hdparm on the
    > interface to the CDROM ( hdparm -d0 /dev/hdc for example )

    I'm not sure this is it either (although I'll give it a try).

    What happens is the cd seems to read fine for about the first 30% then just
    cycles on and off while the hard drive is stopped. I got stubborn and tried
    to copy the file 4 or 5 times. It actually worked once (yippee!) out of the
    5 times, so my current objective is met. But it still seems like there's
    something physically wrong with the drive. I've read this exact same CD on
    other systems and it copys just fine. I also tried a different CD (larger
    file) and it didn't work.

    Almost time to bring out my "ultimate fix anything tool".... a 15 pound
    sledge hammer...

    Paul

  12. Re: Samsung boot from CD-ROM?

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:46:19 -1000, renewontime dot com wrote:
    >Almost time to bring out my "ultimate fix anything tool".... a 15 pound
    >sledge hammer...

    A phrase I used to utter at work: "Where's the 60lb sledgehammer?"
    Response to it was usually "It's in calibration."

+ Reply to Thread