Inexpensive handheld that can run Linux well? - Portable

This is a discussion on Inexpensive handheld that can run Linux well? - Portable ; (I didn't know about this group until today, so this is a repeat of a post on c.o.l.hardware; my apologies.) My old handheld was stolen, and I'm looking for a new one, but I have a very limited budget, ~$150. ...

  1. Inexpensive handheld that can run Linux well?

    (I didn't know about this group until today, so this is a repeat
    of a post on c.o.l.hardware; my apologies.)

    My old handheld was stolen, and I'm looking for a new one, but I
    have a very limited budget, ~$150. I'd figured to look for another
    Palm, but I'm willing to look for something that can run Linux. I
    understand that a lot of the Ipaqs can.

    I'd like something that has good battery life (grayscale screen is
    fine) and can take an expansion card. I don't need a fast processor
    either. Obsolete is fine (and probably necessary to fit my budget).

    I don't want to have to fight tooth and nail to install and run
    Linux, though. A new baby is due shortly and I expect to be very
    low on time for several months...

    Anyone have any suggestions?

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    Microsoft Windows - The art of incompetence.

  2. Re: Inexpensive handheld that can run Linux well?

    On 4 Jan 2005 08:51:30 -0500, Ray Ingles wrote:

    > A new baby is due shortly and I expect to be very
    > low on time for several months...

    Expect to be very low on time for a few years+

    :-) M

  3. Re: Inexpensive handheld that can run Linux well?

    In article , Martin Hvidberg wrote:
    > On 4 Jan 2005 08:51:30 -0500, Ray Ingles wrote:
    >>
    >> A new baby is due shortly and I expect to be very
    >> low on time for several months...

    > Expect to be very low on time for a few years+ :-)

    I have two other kids, my standards for 'free time' are already pretty
    low. :->

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "If one is going to use standard units, one should do it
    right and use Kelvins. That way nobody is happy."
    - Linux Weekly News, on Fahrenheit vs. Celsius

  4. Re: Inexpensive handheld that can run Linux well?

    Ray Ingles wrote:
    > (I didn't know about this group until today, so this is a repeat
    > of a post on c.o.l.hardware; my apologies.)
    >
    > My old handheld was stolen, and I'm looking for a new one, but I
    > have a very limited budget, ~$150. I'd figured to look for another
    > Palm, but I'm willing to look for something that can run Linux. I
    > understand that a lot of the Ipaqs can.
    >
    > I'd like something that has good battery life (grayscale screen is
    > fine) and can take an expansion card. I don't need a fast processor
    > either. Obsolete is fine (and probably necessary to fit my budget).
    >
    > I don't want to have to fight tooth and nail to install and run
    > Linux, though. A new baby is due shortly and I expect to be very
    > low on time for several months...
    >
    > Anyone have any suggestions?

    I bought a used iPaq H3630 for AUS$150 (prob about US$100) which
    included a CF expansion sleeve and a serial cable.

    I have loaded the Familiar linux distro (http://familiar.handhelds.org)
    and applied updates.

    I can use it as a PIM-type PDA with the application included in the
    Qtopia desktop, and connect to it via USBNet from my laptop.

    I can load MP3s on the CF in the expansion slot and listen to them on
    headphones.

    Battery life is disappointing (compared to my Palm V), getting about 4
    hours of constant use before the battery is exhausted. On standby, the
    battery lasts more than a week. I think this sort of power consumption
    is typical of PocketPCs.

    David

+ Reply to Thread