Laptop as video display? - Portable

This is a discussion on Laptop as video display? - Portable ; I know you can add a video-in card (PCMCIA) to most laptops. But are any laptop models available (past or present models) that have video inputs and software that will display a video signal from an external source (such as ...

  1. Laptop as video display?

    I know you can add a video-in card (PCMCIA) to most laptops. But are any
    laptop models available (past or present models) that have video inputs and
    software that will display a video signal from an external source (such as
    VCR, etc.)? Either composite video or S-Video connector would be fine.

    Thanks,

    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  2. Re: Laptop as video display?

    On 2005-01-04, DaveC wrote:
    > laptop models available (past or present models) that have video inputs

    This question was posted sometimes ago, the answer was : not as far as
    we know.
    Davide

    --
    Dogs crawl under fences... software crawls under Windows 95.

  3. Re: Laptop as video display?

    On 1/4/05 5:51 AM, in article
    0001HW.BDFF60DC000CADECF02845B0@news.individual.ne t, "DaveC"
    wrote:

    > I know you can add a video-in card (PCMCIA) to most laptops. But are any
    > laptop models available (past or present models) that have video inputs and
    > software that will display a video signal from an external source (such as
    > VCR, etc.)? Either composite video or S-Video connector would be fine.
    >
    > Thanks,

    No.

    Ej

  4. Re: Laptop as video display?

    In comp.sys.laptops Eric Johnson wrote:
    > On 1/4/05 5:51 AM, in article
    > 0001HW.BDFF60DC000CADECF02845B0@news.individual.ne t, "DaveC"
    > wrote:

    > > I know you can add a video-in card (PCMCIA) to most laptops. But are any
    > > laptop models available (past or present models) that have video inputs and
    > > software that will display a video signal from an external source (such as
    > > VCR, etc.)? Either composite video or S-Video connector would be fine.
    > >
    > > Thanks,

    > No.

    > Ej

    Closest would probably be something like a usb2 capture device. But that's not
    what you're after. Nex

  5. Re: Laptop as video display?

    > But are any
    > laptop models available (past or present models) that have video inputs
    > and
    > software that will display a video signal from an external source (such as
    > VCR, etc.)?

    Ok, I'm a complete newbie to Linux, but have been doing this for decades on
    Windoze, so this seems pretty easy to me. If you can get video from a
    source that uses Firewire ieee 1394 (also called iLink), just use a notebook
    that has a Firewire connection. My Sony Vaio PCG-FXA32 notebook does (as do
    all Sony Vaios as far back as I can recall). As far as I know, my notebook
    should work with Mandrake and from what I've read, the 1394 should function
    as well (I found a couple sites that explain how to install Linux on the
    Vaios and I'll be able to try this myself in less than a week). I also
    picked up a Sony Digital8 video camera for cheap (< $300) that has Firewire
    out. I've been using the two without problems under Windoze for over a year
    now.

    If you have to go with composite or S video, then you'll have to find a
    video capture card that is supported by your flavor of Linux. I'm no help
    here, I'm afraid. If you find nothing, you can try re-recording your video
    to a deck that supports 1394 output... this would be a pain to do more than
    once, but is possible.

    As for software, I'm afraid I'm no help here either, but it shouldn't be too
    hard to find a video capture app for Linux.

    I'm not sure I've been much help, good luck!

    Paul

  6. Re: Laptop as video display?

    Alan Pollock wrote:

    > In comp.sys.laptops Eric Johnson wrote:
    >> On 1/4/05 5:51 AM, in article
    >> 0001HW.BDFF60DC000CADECF02845B0@news.individual.ne t, "DaveC"
    >> wrote:

    >> > I know you can add a video-in card (PCMCIA) to most laptops. But are
    >> > any laptop models available (past or present models) that have video
    >> > inputs and software that will display a video signal from an external
    >> > source (such as VCR, etc.)? Either composite video or S-Video connector
    >> > would be fine.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,

    >> No.

    >> Ej

    > Closest would probably be something like a usb2 capture device. But that's
    > not what you're after. Nex

    Also go to and search on "tuner" and
    "video-in".

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

  7. Re: Laptop as video display?

    DaveC writes:

    > I know you can add a video-in card (PCMCIA) to most laptops. But are any
    > laptop models available (past or present models) that have video inputs and
    > software that will display a video signal from an external source (such as
    > VCR, etc.)? Either composite video or S-Video connector would be fine.

    My Thinkpad A31p has s-video in and out.

    http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-41638

    It's not a current model. Mine is a year or so old, and that was just
    about when it went off the pricelist.

    tim

  8. Re: Laptop as video display?

    On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 18:01:01 -0800, Tim wrote
    (in article ):

    > My Thinkpad A31p has s-video in and out.
    >
    > http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-41638
    >
    > It's not a current model. Mine is a year or so old, and that was just
    > about when it went off the pricelist.

    So you can view video on-screen from an external video source, such as VCR,
    or such? What software so you use?

    Thanks,

    DaveC
    me@privacy.net
    This is an invalid return address
    Please reply in the news group

  9. Re: Laptop as video display?

    DaveC writes:

    > So you can view video on-screen from an external video source, such as VCR,
    > or such? What software so you use?

    Yes, though only with the bundled windows software. I don't know the
    name offhand, and I haven't booted windows in months. Maybe MGI
    something or other? I transferred a video from an analog camcorder to
    an mpeg file. And it was visible on screen while it was captured to
    disk. I don't recall if it would display video without capturing it.

    tim

+ Reply to Thread