Good Linux Laptop? - Portable

This is a discussion on Good Linux Laptop? - Portable ; Dear Sirs! Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux? By looking trough several reviews I can't figure it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too picky on ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Good Linux Laptop?

    Dear Sirs!

    Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    some own experience and can give me an advice
    or two.

    Yours

    Kalevi Nyman
    ---

  2. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Kalevi Nyman wrote:

    > Dear Sirs!
    >
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    > By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    > it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    > but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    > picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    > some own experience and can give me an advice
    > or two.

    ThinkPads tend to be good and HP sell notebooks with Linux.

  3. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Thak you most kindly!

    /K
    ---

    James Knott wrote:

    > Kalevi Nyman wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Sirs!
    >>
    >> Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    >> By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    >> it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    >> but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    >> picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    >> some own experience and can give me an advice
    >> or two.

    > ThinkPads tend to be good and HP sell notebooks with Linux.

  4. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On 2004-12-10, Kalevi Nyman wrote:
    > Dear Sirs!
    >
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    > By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    > it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    > but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    > picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    > some own experience and can give me an advice
    > or two.

    thinkpad thinkpad thinkpad. The build is always very solid and the hardware
    under the hood is always no-nonsense. Its solid under Windoze (I have been
    told) and works great under Linux, the FreeBSD folk also get chirpy around
    them from what I have found through Google.

    Ever since an old flatmate of mine introduced me to the TP600 series I have
    been hooked. Currently I am a very proud owner of a T40p

    Cheers

    Alex ( http://www.digriz.org.uk/t40p-linux/ )

  5. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    In article <10rka02ghm1occ4@corp.supernews.com>,
    Alexander Clouter wrote:
    >On 2004-12-10, Kalevi Nyman wrote:
    >> Dear Sirs!
    >>
    >> Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    >> By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    >> it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    >> but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    >> picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    >> some own experience and can give me an advice
    >> or two.
    >>

    >thinkpad thinkpad thinkpad. The build is always very solid and the hardware
    >under the hood is always no-nonsense. Its solid under Windoze (I have been
    >told) and works great under Linux, the FreeBSD folk also get chirpy around
    >them from what I have found through Google.
    >
    >Ever since an old flatmate of mine introduced me to the TP600 series I have
    >been hooked. Currently I am a very proud owner of a T40p
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Alex ( http://www.digriz.org.uk/t40p-linux/ )

    I second that. I have owned and worked on several varieties of
    thinkpads/linux over the last 8 years and compared to Compaq(HP)/Dell
    have always had much less trouble installing/running linux on thinkpads
    compared to similar models from other vendors. I currently have a X21
    ($340 from Ebay) and I'm a very happy camper. I think my first Thinkad
    was a 560 (P120) and RedHat 4.1-2'ish. At that time I got 2x the
    battery performance running Linux compared to Windows for doing the
    same task (i.e. writing).

    See ya, -ingo

    --
    /* Ingo Cyliax, cyliax@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */

  6. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Thank you most kindly for all answers and comments!

    If I would live in California, E-bay would be my
    obvious choice and some model of thinkpad.

    Now I happen to live in a 99.99% M$-country. Our
    detailers are mostly technical virgins to put it mildly.
    So they try to force us to pay M$ tax regardles what
    we use with no exeption.

    All those detailers that are willing to sell a
    machine with Linux or without an OS are still
    forcing us to pay M$ tax :-) It is pretty obvious
    in their own price lists.

    Even if it does not reflect this ng I got a lot of mail
    too. Most non-flamers suggested a thinkpad.
    They also stressed the fact that they are very happy
    regarding performance and general usability.

    Some thought that my question wasn't relevant
    since laptops are produced in very short series
    and hence have varying hardware and in that sence
    are difficult to make a Linux installation to.

    So many of you suggested a Thinkpad.
    Then Thinkpad it will be :-)

    Thanks!

    Kalevi Nyman
    ---

    Kalevi Nyman wrote:

    > Dear Sirs!
    >
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    > By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    > it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    > but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    > picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    > some own experience and can give me an advice
    > or two.
    >
    > Yours
    >
    > Kalevi Nyman
    > ---

  7. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Kalevi Nyman a écrit :

    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?

    Keynux, without OS or with XP or Linux or XP+Linux

    --
    siger

  8. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Thanks for the tip. However I could not find
    much info about keynux laptop other than some
    pictures. The MySQL database generated a lot of
    errors when I tried to open "Offer details". All
    prices were 0 euro :-). Many pictures were missing
    e.t.c. So, nobody seems to keep the site updated.
    Is the company still there?

    /K
    ---

    siger wrote:

    > Kalevi Nyman a écrit :
    >
    >> Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?

    > Keynux, without OS or with XP or Linux or XP+Linux

  9. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Kalevi Nyman writes:
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux? By looking trough
    > several reviews I can't figure it out. Most reviews concentrate on
    > installation but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    > picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have some own experience
    > and can give me an advice or two.

    You could look at . Every time I've faced this
    question recently, I've ended up buying a Thinkpad. I have about 5 of
    them now, various models.

  10. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:32:59 +0100, Kalevi Nyman wrote:

    >Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    >By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    >it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    >but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    >picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    >some own experience and can give me an advice
    >or two.

    Here is another vote for ThinkPads. My R40 runs Fedora Core 2 - and
    previously RedHat 8 and 9 quite nicely. With a little fiddling all
    the laptop stuff - suspend, hibernate, speedstep, etc. work well.
    Mine is a Centrino and battery life is around 4hrs.

    I did find that the R40 is much happier in APM mode than ACPI. I
    wonder if that is the general consensus, or if I have missed a trick.

    It seems fully functional in APM mode (w/an additional FAT32 partition
    for hibernation) so there is no need to change. Just curious.

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  11. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:32:59 +0100, Kalevi Nyman wrote:

    > Dear Sirs!
    >
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    > By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    > it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    > but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    > picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    > some own experience and can give me an advice
    > or two.
    >
    > Yours
    >
    > Kalevi Nyman
    > ---

    I have a Compaq R3000z AMD64 laptop which works fine with Fedora Core 2
    and 3 (both 32 bit and 64 bit versions) but not with Mandrake 10.1. If you
    want speed then the Athlon 64 is the only way to go. My benchmarking
    (doing Verilog simulation and FPGA place and routes) shows the Athlon 64
    3400+ in my laptop to be almost exactly twice the speed of my 2.66GHz
    Xeon, i.e. equivalent to a 5.2GHz Xeon if such a thing existed. It's
    also reasonably inexpensive, I paid around $1500 for an A64 3400+, 1G
    RAM, 60G disk, 802.11G wireless and XP Pro (I don't use XP much except
    for to download my GPS but I figured that since I had to buy a copy
    with this laptop I'd get the version that worked rather than XP home
    which has crippled networking). You'll find that a Centrino based laptop
    is much more expensive and it will be slower.

    The Broadcom 54G 802.11b/g wireless chip works with Ndiswrapper but only
    on a 32 bit kernel (because the XP driver is a 32 bit driver), there is no
    native Linux driver. Wireless is a huge problem for Linux. There are some
    chips that have native Linux drivers but many don't. The Broadcom chip is
    in a lot of laptops at the moment and it does work with Ndiswrapper but
    that involves doing a little work to set it up everytime you install a new
    distribution. I have the 1680x1050 display, the configuration tools for
    Fedora Core 3 don't competely understand it so you have to do some hand
    editing of the xorg.conf file but it works. If I had it to do over I would
    have gone with a smaller screen, the big screen makes the laptop a little
    bulky. A number of brands of laptops are using this screen, as well as the
    even bigger 1920x1200. My recommendation is to choose a smaller screen.
    I'd also get a 100G disk if I were buying it today. The 100G drive had a
    huge premium over the 60G disk when I bought my system a few months ago,
    that premium has dropped in half since then.

  12. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:52:14 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:32:59 +0100, Kalevi Nyman wrote:

    >> Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?

    >I have a Compaq R3000z AMD64 laptop which works fine with Fedora Core 2
    >and 3 (both 32 bit and 64 bit versions) but not with Mandrake 10.1. If you
    >want speed then the Athlon 64 is the only way to go. My benchmarking
    >(doing Verilog simulation and FPGA place and routes) shows the Athlon 64
    >3400+ in my laptop to be almost exactly twice the speed of my 2.66GHz
    >Xeon, i.e. equivalent to a 5.2GHz Xeon if such a thing existed. It's
    >also reasonably inexpensive, I paid around $1500 for an A64 3400+, 1G
    >RAM, 60G disk, 802.11G wireless and XP Pro (I don't use XP much except
    >for to download my GPS but I figured that since I had to buy a copy
    >with this laptop I'd get the version that worked rather than XP home
    >which has crippled networking). You'll find that a Centrino based laptop
    >is much more expensive and it will be slower.

    General, this looks pretty good. How is the battery life?

    I might quibble about the _much_ more expensive part, but can't argue
    with the bang for the buck equation.

    >The Broadcom 54G 802.11b/g wireless chip works with Ndiswrapper but only
    >on a 32 bit kernel (because the XP driver is a 32 bit driver), there is no
    >native Linux driver. Wireless is a huge problem for Linux. There are some
    >chips that have native Linux drivers but many don't.

    What used to be a minus for Centrino has become a plus with the advent
    of ndiswrapper and the Intel ipw2100/2200 project.

    I still like my ThinkPad, but I won't challenge you to a race any
    time soon...

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  13. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On 2004-12-13, Bill Waddington wrote:

    > [re: AMD64 bang for buck laptop]
    >
    > I still like my ThinkPad, but I won't challenge you to a race any
    > time soon...

    ah, however if there was ever a conkers match between Thinkpads and pretty
    much any other laptop in the world[1], my money would be on the Thinkpad

    Cheers

    Alex

    [1] except for those great rugged laptops that Computer Shopper used to
    review

  14. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:09:07 -0000, Alexander Clouter staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > On 2004-12-13, Bill Waddington wrote:
    >> [re: AMD64 bang for buck laptop] I still like my ThinkPad, but I
    >> won't challenge you to a race any time soon...

    > ah, however if there was ever a conkers match between Thinkpads and
    > pretty much any other laptop in the world[1], my money would be on the
    > Thinkpad

    For everyone who isn't in .uk, a "conkers match" is when 2 people take 2
    conkers (buckeyes, horse chestnuts) and hit them against each other
    until one breaks. The conker that breaks first loses. Thinkpads are
    fairly rugged, but I don't suggest smacking your laptop into other
    laptops to gauge toughness.

    > [1] except for those great rugged laptops that Computer Shopper used
    > to review

    They still exist and most of them work well with Linux; Google
    "Panasonic Toughbook". They're expensive, but *very* rugged. Popular
    demonstrations include "close laptop screen, jump up and down on laptop,
    open screen, continue working" and "pour can of Coke into keyboard, pour
    can of water into keyboard, continue working."

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  15. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On 13 Dec 2004 19:21:41 GMT, Dances With Crows
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:09:07 -0000, Alexander Clouter staggered into the
    >Black Sun and said:
    >> On 2004-12-13, Bill Waddington wrote:
    >>> [re: AMD64 bang for buck laptop] I still like my ThinkPad, but I
    >>> won't challenge you to a race any time soon...

    >> ah, however if there was ever a conkers match between Thinkpads and
    >> pretty much any other laptop in the world[1], my money would be on the
    >> Thinkpad

    >For everyone who isn't in .uk, a "conkers match" is when 2 people take 2
    >conkers (buckeyes, horse chestnuts) and hit them against each other
    >until one breaks. The conker that breaks first loses.

    Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure whether I was being
    invited to a spelling-bee or a goat-roping...

    Bill
    --
    William D Waddington
    william.waddington@beezmo.com

  16. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:32:59 +0100, Kalevi Nyman wrote:

    > Dear Sirs!
    >
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?

    Depends.

    I ended up with a notebook while I was shopping for a portable DVD Player!

    I ended up with an Averatec 3150 from Sams's Club. Now I have a 4.2 lb
    portable DVD player with a 12"" screen, and a useable notebook to boot.

    The keyboard sucks, so if you are a writer you don't want this one.

    Battery life is only 90 min, too, not even enough for a movie. I use
    mplayer to watch DVDs. I also have converted DVDs to divx and
    usually burn 3 or more movies onto a DVD. Can't do that with a DVD player.

    It is set up to dual boot with XP and Slackware 10.0. I added a usb
    wireless, and usb mouse.

    The touchpad sucks too.

    But still, it is just does what I wanted.

    So, what do you want to do after you install linux?

  17. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:16:05 -0800, Bill Waddington wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:52:14 -0500, General Schvantzkoph
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:32:59 +0100, Kalevi Nyman wrote:

    >>> Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?

    >>I have a Compaq R3000z AMD64 laptop which works fine with Fedora Core 2
    >>and 3 (both 32 bit and 64 bit versions) but not with Mandrake 10.1. If you
    >>want speed then the Athlon 64 is the only way to go. My benchmarking
    >>(doing Verilog simulation and FPGA place and routes) shows the Athlon 64
    >>3400+ in my laptop to be almost exactly twice the speed of my 2.66GHz
    >>Xeon, i.e. equivalent to a 5.2GHz Xeon if such a thing existed. It's
    >>also reasonably inexpensive, I paid around $1500 for an A64 3400+, 1G
    >>RAM, 60G disk, 802.11G wireless and XP Pro (I don't use XP much except
    >>for to download my GPS but I figured that since I had to buy a copy
    >>with this laptop I'd get the version that worked rather than XP home
    >>which has crippled networking). You'll find that a Centrino based laptop
    >>is much more expensive and it will be slower.

    > General, this looks pretty good. How is the battery life?

    I never run laptops off of the battery so I don't know. There are two
    batteries available for the HP/Compaq laptops, the standard 8 cell battery
    and an optional 12 cell battery. I have the 12 cell battery, which in
    restrospect is another stupid choice that I made given that I don't run
    off of batteries. When I selected the bigger battery the only thing that I
    thought about was that is was only a few dollars more. I didn't think
    about weight which in hindsight is much more important.

  18. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Kalevi Nyman a écrit :

    > Thanks for the tip. However I could not find
    > much info about keynux laptop other than some
    > pictures. The MySQL database generated a lot of
    > errors when I tried to open "Offer details". All
    > prices were 0 euro :-). Many pictures were missing
    > e.t.c. So, nobody seems to keep the site updated.
    > Is the company still there?

    You're right, the english site don't work. But the french site does.
    Not only the prices, but all the english isn't updated.

    You sould write us, maybe there is a mistake in the english link.

    --
    siger

  19. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Kalevi Nyman wrote:

    > Dear Sirs!
    >
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?

    I like my IBM Thinkpad X40, its really good. All components work with my
    gentoo installation.
    As a student i get it for i good price.

    Use Centrino or Pentium M Notebooks, not the P4 crapp.

    Sonic

  20. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Stephan Kupfer writes:
    > I like my IBM Thinkpad X40, its really good. All components work with my
    > gentoo installation.

    Including the wifi, built-in modem, and SD card reader?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast