Good Linux Laptop? - Portable

This is a discussion on Good Linux Laptop? - Portable ; Stephan Kupfer wrote: > Kalevi Nyman wrote: >> >>Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux? > > > I like my IBM Thinkpad X40, its really good. All components work with my > gentoo installation. > As a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Stephan Kupfer wrote:
    > Kalevi Nyman wrote:
    >>
    >>Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?

    > I like my IBM Thinkpad X40, its really good. All components work with my
    > gentoo installation.
    > As a student i get it for i good price.

    The German magazine c't (issue 17/2004) contains a comparison
    of the following laptops:

    1)
    Acer TM 8005MLI ++
    Apple iBook G4 -
    Asus W1000N o
    Asus(Xtops.de) M2400N ++
    Averatec 3200 o
    BenQ Joybook 5100U o
    Dell Inspiron 510m -
    Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1630 o
    Gericom Hummer 2860 XL -
    HP nc6000 ++
    IBM TP R51 +
    IBM TP T42P +
    JVC MP-XP731 ++
    Toshiba Satellite A40-141 -

    1) (Linux) Functionality
    ++ very good + o - -- very bad

    (The above is just a single column from that long report.)

    The latest Linux Journal (1/2005) has a test report of
    HP Compaq nx5000. A quote from that:

    1.4 GHz Intel Pentium M, 2 GB max.
    Display XGA (1024x768) or XSGA+ (1400x1050)
    Combo DVD/CD-RW
    WLAN Atheros a/b/g
    Winmodem (slamr module)

    "With the nx5000, HP gets closer than anyone has yet to a
    general-purpose business PC running Linux. If you want to
    make your company's Linux desktop migration a treat of
    working in cafés and enjoying media instead of a chore,
    get one to evaluate. Dorm-room or small-apartment dwellers
    can consider this as a good main computer and entertainment
    system." Don Marti, Editor in Chief of Linux Journal

    > Use Centrino or Pentium M Notebooks, not the P4 crapp.

    If it has to portable, definitely!

    But not ncecessarily for somebody who is looking for a "desktop
    replacement".

    Visvanath.

  2. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Kalevi Nyman wrote:
    > Dear Sirs!
    >
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    > By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    > it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    > but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    > picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    > some own experience and can give me an advice
    > or two.
    >
    > Yours
    >
    > Kalevi Nyman
    > ---

    Hello Kalevi,

    Without a doubt, I think that the ThinkPads are the best. In
    fact, I am using Fedora Core 3 on a IBM ThinkPad T-30 and it works like
    a charm. I am also using a Linksys Wireless W511 card for internet
    access. I also would recommend Dell as well. I also have a Dell
    Inspiron 4000, a computer which is about four years old but runs like a
    charm with Fedora Core 3 and I also use an Orinoco Gold Wireless Card
    for internet access. I hope this helps.

    Jeff

  3. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 21:04:42 -0500, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
    > Kalevi Nyman wrote:
    >> Dear Sirs!
    >>
    >> Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    >> By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    >> it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    >> but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    >> picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    >> some own experience and can give me an advice
    >> or two.
    >>
    >> Yours
    >>
    >> Kalevi Nyman
    >> ---

    > Hello Kalevi,
    >
    > Without a doubt, I think that the ThinkPads are the best. In
    > fact, I am using Fedora Core 3 on a IBM ThinkPad T-30 and it works like
    > a charm. I am also using a Linksys Wireless W511 card for internet
    > access. I also would recommend Dell as well. I also have a Dell
    > Inspiron 4000, a computer which is about four years old but runs like a
    > charm with Fedora Core 3 and I also use an Orinoco Gold Wireless Card
    > for internet access. I hope this helps.
    >
    > Jeff

    Definitely good advice that Jeff offers. I have both a Inspiron 4100
    which is about 3 years old and a ThinkPad T23. On the inspiron, mine
    does everything now exceedingly well. It will not do acpi at all but apm
    is done very nicely these days. I installed a ipw2200bg minipci card and
    the dell had the antennas ready for me. I also have used the linksys
    wpc54g card with the linuxant drivers.

    On the thinkpad side, I had a bit more of a exercise getting acpi to
    work. APM just would not work on it with the latest bios for me. I'm
    running a 2.6.9 kernel on that laptop and acpi works like a charm. I had
    to write two little acpi event scripts to make it do lid close things.

    Its interesting to note that you can find either of these laptops on
    http://www.overstock.com for a good price these days. I've done a few
    upgrades to my dell like a 100g laptop hard disk drive and a memory
    upgrade plus the wireless card. I've also had the laptop serviced by
    dell and had a new system board installed due to a failing reserve
    battery.

    --
    Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org

  4. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Kalevi Nyman wrote:
    > Dear Sirs!
    >
    > Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?
    > By looking trough several reviews I can't figure
    > it out. Most reviews concentrate on installation
    > but that is not what I want to know. Maybe I'm too
    > picky on this but I'm sure that you fellows have
    > some own experience and can give me an advice
    > or two.
    >
    > Yours
    >
    > Kalevi Nyman
    > ---

    Hello Kalevi,

    The best computers for Linux are IBM's, hands down. I currently
    have an IBM ThinkPad T-30 and I am running Fedora Core 3. It installed
    with no problems at all. I am currently using Gnome, but it also works
    well in KDE. I also have a Dell Inspiron 4000 and I am also running
    Fedora Core 3 on it. However, this computer is almost four years old
    but it runs Fedora Core 3 very well. I hope this helps.

    Jeff

  5. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Visvanath Ratnaweera wrote:
    > Stephan Kupfer wrote:
    >
    >> Kalevi Nyman wrote:
    >>

    >>> Which laptop is a good choice for using Linux?

    >> I like my IBM Thinkpad X40, its really good. All components work with my
    >> gentoo installation.
    >> As a student i get it for i good price.

    > The German magazine c't (issue 17/2004) contains a comparison
    > of the following laptops:
    >
    > 1)
    > Acer TM 8005MLI ++
    > Apple iBook G4 -
    > Asus W1000N o
    > Asus(Xtops.de) M2400N ++
    > Averatec 3200 o
    > BenQ Joybook 5100U o
    > Dell Inspiron 510m -
    > Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1630 o
    > Gericom Hummer 2860 XL -
    > HP nc6000 ++
    > IBM TP R51 +
    > IBM TP T42P +
    > JVC MP-XP731 ++
    > Toshiba Satellite A40-141 -
    >
    > 1) (Linux) Functionality
    > ++ very good + o - -- very bad

    I can agree with their "very good" rating of the Asus M2400N. I have
    one myself, and it works great with Gentoo. The wireless cards finally
    have drivers (ipw2200), and all the other hardware (except the winmodem)
    works fine.

    > (The above is just a single column from that long report.)
    >
    > The latest Linux Journal (1/2005) has a test report of
    > HP Compaq nx5000. A quote from that:
    >
    > 1.4 GHz Intel Pentium M, 2 GB max.
    > Display XGA (1024x768) or XSGA+ (1400x1050)
    > Combo DVD/CD-RW
    > WLAN Atheros a/b/g
    > Winmodem (slamr module)
    >
    > "With the nx5000, HP gets closer than anyone has yet to a
    > general-purpose business PC running Linux. If you want to
    > make your company's Linux desktop migration a treat of
    > working in cafés and enjoying media instead of a chore,
    > get one to evaluate. Dorm-room or small-apartment dwellers
    > can consider this as a good main computer and entertainment
    > system." Don Marti, Editor in Chief of Linux Journal
    >
    >> Use Centrino or Pentium M Notebooks, not the P4 crapp.

    Agreed. Much cooler, and sometimes faster.

    > If it has to [be] portable, definitely!
    >
    > But not necessarily for somebody who is looking for a "desktop
    > replacement".

    True. The Pentium-M is quite powerful though.

    --Thomas Tuttle

  6. Re: Good Linux Laptop?

    Thomas Tuttle wrote:

    >> The German magazine c't (issue 17/2004) contains a comparison
    >> of the following laptops:
    >>
    >> 1)
    >> Acer TM 8005MLI ++
    >> Apple iBook G4 -
    >> Asus W1000N o
    >> Asus(Xtops.de) M2400N ++
    >> Averatec 3200 o
    >> BenQ Joybook 5100U o
    >> Dell Inspiron 510m -
    >> Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1630 o
    >> Gericom Hummer 2860 XL -
    >> HP nc6000 ++
    >> IBM TP R51 +
    >> IBM TP T42P +
    >> JVC MP-XP731 ++
    >> Toshiba Satellite A40-141 -

    Isn't this a slightly odd list?
    I'm no expert, but my current 3 favourites at the moment
    would be Fujitsu-P7000, Sony-C1 and Flybook ...
    (Ps I like small laptops.)

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366