Toshiba Satellite p-10 good? - Portable

This is a discussion on Toshiba Satellite p-10 good? - Portable ; Hello, Does anyone know how well Linux installs on the Toshiba Satellite P10-802? I've prowled the main sites and newsgroups but haven't found much. Are there similar models that give a basis for opinion? I'm wondering if the DVD reading/burning ...

  1. Toshiba Satellite p-10 good?

    Hello,
    Does anyone know how well Linux installs on the Toshiba Satellite
    P10-802?

    I've prowled the main sites and newsgroups but haven't found much. Are
    there similar models that give a basis for opinion? I'm wondering if
    the DVD reading/burning works fully, partly for video, plus the WiFi
    and interfaces such as USB2 & S-Video in particular.

    It is a Pentium 4 with HT (Hyperthread I believe). Can Linux use the
    HT part? The native Windows (XP Home Ed) doesn't does it?

    There is a second hand one at work for a good price, but its
    'Linuxability' will probably tip the scales either way. My only Linux
    knowledge so far is installing Mandrake on my very old desktop Pentium
    machine, but I'd like to go the Linux route fully this time.

    Thanks for any enlightnment,

  2. Re: Toshiba Satellite p-10 good?

    Count yourself lucky to have a any sort.

    The truth is that I've been running linux on an old P3/Celeron @ 700Mhz
    with less than 256MB of RAM.

    My choice for a Linux OS is SuSE 9.2 Pro. It installs easily and simply
    and runs beautifully. I am about to install it on a new AMD Athlon 64
    box that is being built as I write this.

    Anyway, if my old laptop can run the latest linux from SuSE, your P4
    should have no problems and I would trust SuSE to make it worth your while.

    Happy computing!!!

    - Steve

    A wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Does anyone know how well Linux installs on the Toshiba Satellite
    > P10-802?
    >
    > I've prowled the main sites and newsgroups but haven't found much. Are
    > there similar models that give a basis for opinion? I'm wondering if the DVD reading/burning works fully, partly for video, plus the WiFi
    > and interfaces such as USB2 & S-Video in particular.
    >
    > It is a Pentium 4 with HT (Hyperthread I believe). Can Linux use the
    > HT part? The native Windows (XP Home Ed) doesn't does it?
    >
    > There is a second hand one at work for a good price, but its
    > 'Linuxability' will probably tip the scales either way. My only Linux
    > knowledge so far is installing Mandrake on my very old desktop Pentium
    > machine, but I'd like to go the Linux route fully this time.
    >
    > Thanks for any enlightnment,

  3. dunno if this is any good - i have a p10-802 + run suse9.1

    Ok so i guess the same labtop isn't for sale anymore but FYI:

    > I'm wondering if the DVD reading/burning works fully

    yep. Suse 9.1 doen't come with dvd decoding but you get that off
    packman. You also need to turn DMA on manually to avoid jerky
    playback

    > plus the WiFi

    dunno about this one... haven't tried it

    > and interfaces such as USB2

    yeah it seems to.... not sure if it's taking advantage of 2.0 or not
    tho - could be using 1.x

    > & S-Video in particular

    dunno. soz

    > It is a Pentium 4 with HT (Hyperthread I believe). Can Linux use

    the HT part?
    no apparently not. now i can't remember where this cropped up, but i
    got an error somewhere and the cause was the HT. may have been when
    playing games etc.

    > The native Windows (XP Home Ed) doesn't does it?

    really? i just assumed it did. what's the point of having it then??
    stupid toshiba

    other things to note are:
    - CDs play nice and easy
    - suse is the ONLY distro that detects the screen AND the mouse. with
    other distros (FC2 and others) either the screen was just blank or the
    mouse just didn't work, even after the install (which was painful with
    only a keyboard). oh that reminds me, some distros require special
    commands at the 'linux' install promt to get the keyboard working.
    - remarkably suse seems to be able to use the weird 1280x800
    resolution. it didn't at first but then i had a play in the graphics
    settings and tried to give it a higher setting then it could cope
    with (1280x1024??) and it just auto detected 1280x800. which is
    nice.

    PROBLEMS:
    - the ATI mobility 9700 graphics card is supported for 2D BUT NOT 3D.
    dissappointing ATI
    - when rebooting, the screen doesn't come back on. im not even sure
    if the whole syst come back. this gets weirder coz if you 'turn off'
    and then 'turn on' u get the same prob UNLESS you insert/take out the
    power lead, or give it a long break (eg days) in between. weird.
    - there can be a rather disturbing 'whirrrrrr' sound when you power
    down, like the HD has not been spun down properly. but this only
    happens sometimes. makes me cringe every time tho - makes me wonder
    when my last backup was )

    Hope this helps. shame i didn't find your post earlier - i joined this
    forum just for you. u can thank google.co.uk/linux

    Cheers
    Razzle

    http://www.usenet.com

+ Reply to Thread