problem of PCMCIA NIC in kernel 2.6 - Portable

This is a discussion on problem of PCMCIA NIC in kernel 2.6 - Portable ; Hi, I have just upgrade my RH9 kernel to 2.6.8.1 and get my sound card working perfectly. But my PCMCIA NIC stopped working under this kernel. The card is realtek 8139, I compiled 8139too and could probe the module using ...

  1. problem of PCMCIA NIC in kernel 2.6

    Hi,

    I have just upgrade my RH9 kernel to 2.6.8.1 and get my sound card working
    perfectly. But my PCMCIA NIC stopped working under this kernel. The card is
    realtek 8139, I compiled 8139too and could probe the module using modprobe
    with no error, but the card just simply does not going up. I can not find
    the NIC information in lspci.

    When using cardctl insert, i got a "device or resource is busy"
    message.After cardctl eject and insert again, nothing happended.

    I have searched in google and found plenty of this kind of problem with no
    clear solution. I have already change the boot scripts order of pcmcia
    before the network scripts. No luck.

    Any idea?

    Thanks!

    Sun

  2. Re: problem of PCMCIA NIC in kernel 2.6

    "hyena" <9ird@sina.com.cn> wrote in message news:cmo1uk$3ve$1@news.tue.nl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just upgrade my RH9 kernel to 2.6.8.1 and get my sound card

    working
    > perfectly. But my PCMCIA NIC stopped working under this kernel. The card

    is
    > realtek 8139, I compiled 8139too and could probe the module using modprobe
    > with no error, but the card just simply does not going up. I can not find
    > the NIC information in lspci.

    Go directly to a Fedora Core 3 install, which just came out today. 2.6
    kernel, the test releases have been quicker than FC2, and overall it's
    gotten a lot better.

    > When using cardctl insert, i got a "device or resource is busy"
    > message.After cardctl eject and insert again, nothing happended.
    >
    > I have searched in google and found plenty of this kind of problem with

    no
    > clear solution. I have already change the boot scripts order of pcmcia
    > before the network scripts. No luck.

    Did you rmmod the old kernel module, and are you sure you got the *right*
    new kernel module in place? How precisely did you load it?

  3. Re: problem of PCMCIA NIC in kernel 2.6

    Thanks for your reply!. Actually I just want to update my kernel to support
    my sound card, the Xwindows and other software work well currently so I am
    not planning to change them yet.

    And I did not do anything of rmmod to remove the old module and neither do i
    check the modules is right placed or not. I thought this should be taken
    care by "make modules_install" process.So do i need to remove the old
    8139too module menually? or do I have to remove all the old PCMCIA related
    modules?

    Nevertheless, I just got some PCMCIA patches today and will patch my kernel
    later to see the result.

    regards,
    Sun

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have just upgrade my RH9 kernel to 2.6.8.1 and get my sound card

    > working
    > > perfectly. But my PCMCIA NIC stopped working under this kernel. The card

    > is
    > > realtek 8139, I compiled 8139too and could probe the module using

    modprobe
    > > with no error, but the card just simply does not going up. I can not

    find
    > > the NIC information in lspci.

    > Go directly to a Fedora Core 3 install, which just came out today. 2.6
    > kernel, the test releases have been quicker than FC2, and overall it's
    > gotten a lot better.
    >
    > > When using cardctl insert, i got a "device or resource is busy"
    > > message.After cardctl eject and insert again, nothing happended.
    > >
    > > I have searched in google and found plenty of this kind of problem with

    > no
    > > clear solution. I have already change the boot scripts order of pcmcia
    > > before the network scripts. No luck.

    > Did you rmmod the old kernel module, and are you sure you got the *right*
    > new kernel module in place? How precisely did you load it?

  4. Re: problem of PCMCIA NIC in kernel 2.6

    "hyena" <9ird@sina.com.cn> wrote in message news:cmqd8k$ksd$1@news.tue.nl...
    > Thanks for your reply!. Actually I just want to update my kernel to

    support
    > my sound card, the Xwindows and other software work well currently so I am
    > not planning to change them yet.
    >
    > And I did not do anything of rmmod to remove the old module and neither do

    > check the modules is right placed or not. I thought this should be taken
    > care by "make modules_install" process.So do i need to remove the old
    > 8139too module menually? or do I have to remove all the old PCMCIA related
    > modules?

    I don't know. "make modules_install" is what you do at the *end* of doing a
    make with a new kernel, but I can't tell from your notes if you built a
    whole new kernel, or just built up some modules and tried to load them by
    hand without putting them in /lib/modules/{kernel-name}, or if you
    accidentally wound up with two kernel modules of the same name in
    /lib/modules/{kernel-name}, or what.

    How did you build your modules? As part of a new kernel that you then
    successfully rebooted with?

    > Nevertheless, I just got some PCMCIA patches today and will patch my

    kernel
    > later to see the result.

    Good luck. I do hope that you *are* giving each new kernel a different name
    in your Makefile, to avoid any conflicts between old and new kernels and old
    and new modules.

+ Reply to Thread