best linux for toshiba 1710cds? - Portable

This is a discussion on best linux for toshiba 1710cds? - Portable ; hi all, been a long time user of knoppix but now I have an old laptop I want to convert it fully to Linux, what is a good version of Linux for an Intel Celeron 600/ati rage/128mb ram/6gb-hdd laptop? I ...

  1. best linux for toshiba 1710cds?

    hi all, been a long time user of knoppix but now I have an old laptop I want
    to convert it fully to Linux, what is a good version of Linux for an Intel
    Celeron 600/ati rage/128mb ram/6gb-hdd laptop?

    I want it to be noob friendly with as little command line usage as possible
    and I want to install a lot of utilities that were designed for win9x/winXP.

    I intend to go open source for as much as possible with office, picture
    editing, mozilla firefox and the like.

    --
    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

    Never buy a car you can't push.

  2. Re: best linux for toshiba 1710cds?

    Highlandish wrote:

    >hi all, been a long time user of knoppix but now I have an old laptop I want
    >to convert it fully to Linux, what is a good version of Linux for an Intel
    >Celeron 600/ati rage/128mb ram/6gb-hdd laptop?
    >
    >I want it to be noob friendly with as little command line usage as possible
    >and I want to install a lot of utilities that were designed for win9x/winXP.
    >
    >I intend to go open source for as much as possible with office, picture
    >editing, mozilla firefox and the like.

    Take a deep breath, cross yourself, and dive in. :-)
    For configuring Linux installation to properly run Windows applications
    there is no escaping
    the CLI.
    So either learn to use it or go dual booting and do in each OS what it
    does better for you.
    Use each as tool.
    And there are not *versions* of Linux tuned to chance hardware
    configuration.
    And you will hear as many advices as there are Linux distros, so invest
    your time in learning one of them
    instead of running "window shopping".
    Almost any Windows application has its equivalent (parrallel) in Unix.

    Happy hunting

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  3. Re: best linux for toshiba 1710cds?

    Quoth The Raven "Stanislaw Flatto " in
    96Rjd.441$I52.18114@news.optus.net.au
    > Highlandish wrote:
    >
    >> hi all, been a long time user of knoppix but now I have an old laptop
    >> I want to convert it fully to Linux, what is a good version of Linux
    >> for an Intel Celeron 600/ati rage/128mb ram/6gb-hdd laptop?
    >>
    >> I want it to be noob friendly with as little command line usage as
    >> possible and I want to install a lot of utilities that were designed
    >> for win9x/winXP. I intend to go open source for as much as possible with
    >> office, picture
    >> editing, mozilla firefox and the like.
    >>

    > Take a deep breath, cross yourself, and dive in. :-)
    > For configuring Linux installation to properly run Windows applications
    > there is no escaping
    > the CLI.
    > So either learn to use it or go dual booting and do in each OS what it
    > does better for you.
    > Use each as tool.
    > And there are not *versions* of Linux tuned to chance hardware
    > configuration.
    > And you will hear as many advices as there are Linux distros, so invest
    > your time in learning one of them
    > instead of running "window shopping".
    > Almost any Windows application has its equivalent (parrallel) in Unix.
    >
    > Happy hunting
    >
    > Stanislaw
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    so would you recommend "slack"? what does it have that other distro's don't?
    (good hacking tools or the like?)

    --
    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

    If you look like your passport photo, you're too ill to travel. - Will
    Kommen

  4. Re: best linux for toshiba 1710cds?

    Highlandish wrote:

    > hi all, been a long time user of knoppix but now I have an old laptop I
    > want to convert it fully to Linux, what is a good version of Linux for an
    > Intel Celeron 600/ati rage/128mb ram/6gb-hdd laptop?
    >
    > I want it to be noob friendly with as little command line usage as
    > possible and I want to install a lot of utilities that were designed for
    > win9x/winXP.
    >
    > I intend to go open source for as much as possible with office, picture
    > editing, mozilla firefox and the like.

    SUSE seems to have the "best" hardware configuration based on all the
    hardware I throw at it.

    Next best would probably be Mandrake.

    ATI rage should be no problem with either.

    gtoomey

  5. Re: best linux for toshiba 1710cds?

    Highlandish wrote:

    >>Slack user from Ulladulla.
    >>

    >so would you recommend "slack"? what does it have that other distro's don't?
    >(good hacking tools or the like?)

    I would say that at this time, and I stick with Slackware since the
    arrival of the MS
    OS for which people stood in a queue all night to be THE first to buy 13
    diskettes.
    When out of curiosity, as long time DOS user, I started installing it
    and it told me
    "Sit there, you idiot, *we* know what is best for you!", few days later
    I went Linux.
    The number of distributions was limited, and RedHat attitude reminded me
    of Win95.
    So I went Slackware with the "steep learning slope" and today when
    looking out of curiosity
    on another distribution I may approve of its way of doing certain things
    during install, but
    its configuration scripts need another learning time so I retreat to
    "known, comfortable, difficult"
    but working Slackware.
    In simple words, there is NO distro that has (or misses) something.
    What is included in distribution varies, as you can have 2; 3 or more
    CD's packed with software.
    And of course you *cannot live* without 12 editors, 10 browsers and
    other goodies.
    But the basic things are the same. Kernel, its modules and shell,
    bootloader, and then apps from here
    to eternity.
    And of course gcc compiler with libraries so if you miss something you
    can always to recompile on
    your install. Learn this compiler well and you can hack to your heart
    content.

    Have fun.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

  6. Re: best linux for toshiba 1710cds?

    Quoth The Raven "Stanislaw Flatto " in
    3bZjd.474$I52.18872@news.optus.net.au
    > Highlandish wrote:
    >
    >>> Slack user from Ulladulla.
    >>>

    >> so would you recommend "slack"? what does it have that other distro's
    >> don't? (good hacking tools or the like?)
    >>

    > I would say that at this time, and I stick with Slackware since the
    > arrival of the MS
    > OS for which people stood in a queue all night to be THE first to buy 13
    > diskettes.
    > When out of curiosity, as long time DOS user, I started installing it
    > and it told me
    > "Sit there, you idiot, *we* know what is best for you!", few days later
    > I went Linux.
    > The number of distributions was limited, and RedHat attitude reminded me
    > of Win95.
    > So I went Slackware with the "steep learning slope" and today when
    > looking out of curiosity
    > on another distribution I may approve of its way of doing certain things
    > during install, but
    > its configuration scripts need another learning time so I retreat to
    > "known, comfortable, difficult"
    > but working Slackware.
    > In simple words, there is NO distro that has (or misses) something.
    > What is included in distribution varies, as you can have 2; 3 or more
    > CD's packed with software.
    > And of course you *cannot live* without 12 editors, 10 browsers and
    > other goodies.
    > But the basic things are the same. Kernel, its modules and shell,
    > bootloader, and then apps from here
    > to eternity.
    > And of course gcc compiler with libraries so if you miss something you
    > can always to recompile on
    > your install. Learn this compiler well and you can hack to your heart
    > content.
    >
    > Have fun.
    >
    > Stanislaw
    > Slack user from Ulladulla.

    thanks, i'll keep this in mind

    --
    Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me

    I loaded Windows and it slammed on my fingers!

+ Reply to Thread