I've added a Fedora Core 2 page to my R40 site... *yawn*.
http://www.beezmo.com/ThinkPadR40.htm

There are plenty aleady I suppose, and FC2 pretty well does its thing
out of the box - if you don't mind having your Win partition hosed.

Anyway, the reason I mention it here is that the power management
stuff didn't quite work the way I thought it should. Apmscript used
the old /proc/cpufreq interface so if the kernel was built with the
sysfs interface apmscript couldn't switch frequency governors based
on AC on-line status. Further, it only checked AC status on power
change so laptop mode and selective service shutdown appropriate
for battery power operation didn't get set if booted on battery power.

I think i have successfully re-jiggered apmscript and both apmd
scripts to do this stuff successfully. I also hacked up Carl
Thompson's CPUSpeed userspace governor to make it a little more
friendly to APM (which is how I prefer to run), added a few "features"
and maybe a little more flexibility. Basically, I changed the name
and hacked away. I don't know if I got the GPL, Copyright, and
attribution stuff correct - and I will change it immediately if
wrong. This stuff is documented in the "CPU Frequency scaling
(speedstep) and Laptop Mode" section of the page.

I'm not a programmer, and I'm not putting this stuff out there as a
solution to anything. However, if anyone is inclined to take a look
at this stuff, I would love to know if it makes any sense, especially
on non-thinkpad boxen.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for listening.

Bill
--
William D Waddington
william.waddington@beezmo.com