USB mouse and Touchpad - Portable

This is a discussion on USB mouse and Touchpad - Portable ; Hi all, I have a COMPAQ R3210CA (Presario R3000) running Fedora Core 2 that has been performing exceptionally well with Linux (the only major thing I haven't tried yet is the wireless connectivity). There is a very minor issue that ...

  1. USB mouse and Touchpad

    Hi all, I have a COMPAQ R3210CA (Presario R3000) running Fedora Core 2
    that has been performing exceptionally well with Linux (the only major
    thing I haven't tried yet is the wireless connectivity).

    There is a very minor issue that when I boot, THEN plug in an external
    mouse they both continue to work fine, even if I unplug the external
    mouse. However, if I boot with the external mouse attached, the
    touchpad won't function, with or without the external mouse attached.

    I know people have bigger problems, but would there be any suggestions
    on how to correct this? I've done Google searchs on the web and
    Usenet, but everything I found was for more dire mouse problems than
    this.

    Thanks,

    John

  2. Re: USB mouse and Touchpad

    john.champaign@gmail.com (John Champaign) writes:

    > Hi all, I have a COMPAQ R3210CA (Presario R3000) running Fedora Core 2
    > that has been performing exceptionally well with Linux (the only major
    > thing I haven't tried yet is the wireless connectivity).
    >
    > There is a very minor issue that when I boot, THEN plug in an external
    > mouse they both continue to work fine, even if I unplug the external
    > mouse. However, if I boot with the external mouse attached, the
    > touchpad won't function, with or without the external mouse attached.
    >
    > I know people have bigger problems, but would there be any suggestions
    > on how to correct this? I've done Google searchs on the web and
    > Usenet, but everything I found was for more dire mouse problems than
    > this.

    Often times your hardware may disable the touchpad if it senses the ps/2
    mouse. Sometimes if your system is a dual boot between Linux and Windows, you
    can go in with Windows and change the default behavior.

    Another way to do it, is to use a USB mouse instead of a PS/2 mouse (making
    sure you don't have USB legacy devices enabled in the firmware). Then Fedora
    should allow you to use both at the same time. In earlier versions, you had to
    hack the /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config file to allow more than one
    mouse, but I think Fedora 2 now does this automatically.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

  3. Re: USB mouse and Touchpad

    Hi,

    I had the same problem with my Sony Vaio running with debian (kernel
    2.6.6). I downloaded debian kernel-source-2.6.9, and did kernel patch
    with the code found in "http://www.geocities.com/dt_or/input/".
    The problem has gone.

    You might get useful infomation form
    "http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html".

    Regards,

    Hyo-Sang.

    John Champaign wrote:
    > Hi all, I have a COMPAQ R3210CA (Presario R3000) running Fedora Core 2
    > that has been performing exceptionally well with Linux (the only major
    > thing I haven't tried yet is the wireless connectivity).
    >
    > There is a very minor issue that when I boot, THEN plug in an external
    > mouse they both continue to work fine, even if I unplug the external
    > mouse. However, if I boot with the external mouse attached, the
    > touchpad won't function, with or without the external mouse attached.
    >
    > I know people have bigger problems, but would there be any suggestions
    > on how to correct this? I've done Google searchs on the web and
    > Usenet, but everything I found was for more dire mouse problems than
    > this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

+ Reply to Thread