battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on 16V system? - Portable

This is a discussion on battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on 16V system? - Portable ; I have an IBM thinkpad with a 9 cell (nominal 10.8V) Li-ion battery. The AC adapter (wall wart) is nominally 16.8V (measured 16.0V open circuit). I have available a Toshiba AC adapter with the same plugs, except that it is ...

  1. battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on 16V system?

    I have an IBM thinkpad with a 9 cell (nominal 10.8V) Li-ion battery.
    The AC adapter (wall wart) is nominally 16.8V (measured 16.0V open circuit).

    I have available a Toshiba AC adapter with the same plugs, except that
    it is 18V (nominal and measured).

    Does anyone know if you can use an 18V adapter in place of a 16V adapter?
    If so, what's the info that says it's OK to do?

    Searches with google for battery/battery charger specs haven't been real
    helpful. I did find

    http://www.bixnet.com/unpowbat.html

    which has a dual voltage 19/16V adapter which they say to set to either 16V
    or 19V according to the system you're charging. They don't say that you'll blow
    your system if you use 19V when charging a 16V system.

    Thanks Joe

  2. Re: battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on 16V system?

    On 2004-11-05, mack wrote:
    > Does anyone know if you can use an 18V adapter in place of a 16V adapter?

    I wouldn't advise to do so. The lapdog could have something against it,
    your battery can have something against it, and warranty won't help.
    Get the _correct_ adapter.

    Davide

    --
    This is an air conditioned room -- do not open Windows!

  3. Re: battery charger voltages - using 18V charger on 16V system?

    "mack" skrev i meddelandet
    >I have an IBM thinkpad with a 9 cell (nominal 10.8V) Li-ion battery.
    > The AC adapter (wall wart) is nominally 16.8V (measured 16.0V open
    > circuit).
    >
    > I have available a Toshiba AC adapter with the same plugs, except that
    > it is 18V (nominal and measured).
    >
    > Does anyone know if you can use an 18V adapter in place of a 16V adapter?
    > If so, what's the info that says it's OK to do?
    >
    > Searches with google for battery/battery charger specs haven't been real
    > helpful. I did find
    >
    > http://www.bixnet.com/unpowbat.html
    >
    > which has a dual voltage 19/16V adapter which they say to set to either
    > 16V
    > or 19V according to the system you're charging. They don't say that you'll
    > blow
    > your system if you use 19V when charging a 16V system.
    >
    > Thanks Joe
    >
    > --

    Probably it will not work. I have a laptop that req 15 volt and I connected
    a 16 volt adapter and it would not start at all.
    You could get a cheap adapter that handle 6 > 25 volt settings.

+ Reply to Thread