Can one swap partition be used by many linux installations? - Portable

This is a discussion on Can one swap partition be used by many linux installations? - Portable ; Hi everyone, i am wondering...if i install two different distributions of linux on a pc (e.g. Mandrake and Debian), can i create only one swap partition that will be used each time from the specific distribution that i boot from? ...

  1. Can one swap partition be used by many linux installations?

    Hi everyone,
    i am wondering...if i install two different distributions of linux on
    a pc (e.g. Mandrake and Debian), can i create only one swap partition
    that will be used each time from the specific distribution that i boot
    from?
    Thanks!

  2. Re: Can one swap partition be used by many linux installations?

    "John Fystikis" skrev i meddelandet
    news:29828572.0411040654.5d979768@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi everyone,
    > i am wondering...if i install two different distributions of linux on
    > a pc (e.g. Mandrake and Debian), can i create only one swap partition
    > that will be used each time from the specific distribution that i boot
    > from?
    > Thanks!

    Yes no problem, I have Suse 9.1 and Debian sharing the same swap partition.
    I had Debian and XP as dual boot, and then I installed Suse, as I recall
    Suse never asked for the swap partition as it already was there.

  3. Re: Can one swap partition be used by many linux installations?

    Unless, of course, you suspend-to-disk (into the swap partition
    actually) one linux installation, and then boot the other. Instant Doom
    :-)

    With a bit of scripting you can also share the swap space between linux
    and Windows. Basically you run mkswap on linux boot, and reformat to
    something suitable for windows on shutdown (explained in some howto). I
    never bothered to set something like this up, though. To me, the added
    startup time would not make it worthwile.

    -Volker

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 16:34:15 +0000, Conny wrote:
    > "John Fystikis" skrev i meddelandet
    > news:29828572.0411040654.5d979768@posting.google.c om...
    >> Hi everyone,
    >> i am wondering...if i install two different distributions of linux on a
    >> pc (e.g. Mandrake and Debian), can i create only one swap partition that
    >> will be used each time from the specific distribution that i boot from?
    >> Thanks!

    > Yes no problem, I have Suse 9.1 and Debian sharing the same swap
    > partition. I had Debian and XP as dual boot, and then I installed Suse, as
    > I recall Suse never asked for the swap partition as it already was there.

  4. Re: Can one swap partition be used by many linux installations?

    john.fystikis@easy.com (John Fystikis) writes:

    > Hi everyone,
    > i am wondering...if i install two different distributions of linux on
    > a pc (e.g. Mandrake and Debian), can i create only one swap partition
    > that will be used each time from the specific distribution that i boot
    > from?

    The only gotcha is if one of the systems is really old, and does not support
    the new swap format (-v1 on the mkswap line), and you want to use a large swap
    partition (that needs -v1).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

  5. Re: Can one swap partition be used by many linux installations?

    In article ,
    Volker Braun wrote:

    > With a bit of scripting you can also share the swap space between linux
    > and Windows. Basically you run mkswap on linux boot, and reformat to
    > something suitable for windows on shutdown (explained in some howto).

    I thought you swapped to a file on a FAT32 volume, the same file Windows uses.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
    hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

+ Reply to Thread