IBM Ultrabay drives on X21 - Portable

This is a discussion on IBM Ultrabay drives on X21 - Portable ; Hi, I have a Thinkpad X21 with a media slice running RH9 and I'm curious about which of Ultrabay drives are known to work well with Linux. At minimum I would like to use a CDROM, but I wouldn't mind ...

  1. IBM Ultrabay drives on X21

    Hi,

    I have a Thinkpad X21 with a media slice running RH9 and I'm curious
    about which of Ultrabay drives are known to work well with Linux. At
    minimum I would like to use a CDROM, but I wouldn't mind one of the
    CD writers, if they work well. I don't expect to be able to hotplug
    the media slice while running Linux.

    See ya, -ingo
    --
    /* Ingo Cyliax, cyliax@ezcomm.com, Tel: 812-391-0895 */

  2. Re: IBM Ultrabay drives on X21

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:52:34 +0000 (UTC), Ingo Cyliax staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I have a Thinkpad X21 with a media slice running RH9 and I'm curious
    > about which of Ultrabay drives are known to work well with Linux. At
    > minimum I would like to use a CDROM, but I wouldn't mind one of the CD
    > writers, if they work well.

    Things in the Ultrabay are seen as IDE devices. IDE CD-RWs that follow
    the MMC-3 standard (about 99.99% of them that have been manufactured
    since 1999) are supported just fine.

    > I don't expect to be able to hotplug the media slice while running
    > Linux.

    Why not? The theory is that you do "hdparm -U /dev/hdc" , remove the
    Ultrabay device, insert the new Ultrabay device, then "hdparm -R
    /dev/hdc". There's a shell script in the hdparm source tarball that
    interfaces with tpctl and theoretically handles the hdparm commands
    automagically. I have never tried this because I have only one Ultrabay
    device (a CD-RW) and have never seen the need for another. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!