ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons? - Portable

This is a discussion on ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons? - Portable ; I am looking at getting a laptop for multiple OSs, linux (probably RedHat) and Windows XP. I like the eraser pointing device, and would probably prefer a 15" display and ability to play DVD movies. I don't play games on ...

  1. ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    I am looking at getting a laptop for multiple OSs, linux (probably RedHat)
    and Windows XP.

    I like the eraser pointing device, and would probably prefer a 15" display
    and ability to play DVD movies.
    I don't play games on computers. I think I would prefer
    a large disk-- I see that some high-end Dells offer 100Gb, not sure about
    high-end IBMs (?).

    Dells: Inspiron 5160 (80 Gb hard disk max), 8600, XPS (no Centrino == bad?).
    [=> 8600 is best?] (What are
    the equivalent IBM notebooks?)

    I gather that IBMs are more expensive than Dells,
    and that is one consideration.

    I would also consider Toshiba. I'm not sure that HP
    offers the eraser pointing device (guess: probably not).
    Perhaps there is some offset which would change my mind
    about that...

    In the future I might be working in an environment in which
    Dells are very popular (although Linux is very rare).

    I'm open to other than RedHat, although I am familiar
    only with the RedHat version of Linux (plus various
    other Un*x variants, eg freeBSD). I would also
    enjoy running freeBSD in a partition.

    Any recommendations?

  2. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    z wrote:

    > Any recommendations?

    IBM ThinkPads tend to work well with Linux.

    --

    (This space intentionally left blank)

  3. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    So IBM laptops work better with Linux than Dell laptops?

    I'm looking at the IBM T42p laptop (1 year warranty):
    $2999 - IBM "family discount" (apparently not much).

    This has an 80 GB disk drive.

    Dunno if these are hanging around the refurbished places...

    The Dell Inspiron 8200 seemed to be coming in at $3049
    or so, with a smattering of the options that I tried specifying (incl. the
    100 GB disk drive).

    Here's a site which verifies Red Hat for the T42P:

    http://www.linuxtested.com/results/i..._2373-kxu.html

    So far, IBM is winning my heart and my mind...

    "James Knott" wrote in message
    > z wrote:
    >
    > > Any recommendations?

    > IBM ThinkPads tend to work well with Linux.

  4. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    > So far, IBM is winning my heart and my mind...

    If you really want linux compatibility and also want the manufacturer to
    support you for it, go for IBM. That being said IBM does make better
    notebooks than Dell anytime, but thats a personal opinion.

    --
    Sharninder

  5. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    > IBM ThinkPads tend to work well with Linux.

    I think a big reason for this is that IBM still develops most or all
    of their BIOS code in-house, and they have test protocols in place
    that verify that the BIOS actually meets standards instead of merely
    working with Windows.

    Whereas most generic vendors (if not all) use commercially available
    BIOSes, and don't fully test things like ACPI. If it passes the
    Windows logo tests, it's good enough.

  6. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    z wrote:

    > Any recommendations?

    I'd say both Dell and IBM are good choices when it comes to linux support.

    Myself, I've just settled on a Thinkpad T42p, for Debian GNU/Linux.
    (Running Win2k under QEMU for proprietary applications)

    The reason I chose it over the Dell alternatives, Precision M60 or Inspiron
    8600c, was mainly because of the [supposedly brilliant] Flexview *non-wide*
    screen, also the thinkpad looked a bit sturdier and had a more
    work/office-friendly approach.
    And I didn't have to pay for it myself... :P

    Thinkpad has an active Linux phpBB forum, which certainly is a plus:
    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewforum.php?f=9

    But all the Dells and IBMs I've looked at have HOWTOs on the internet for
    how to run GNU/linux on them, so I guess you can't go very wrong either
    way.

    The Dells in general seems to be a little more multimedia-friendly, AFAIK
    the thinkpad I'm getting doesn't even have firewire, which might be a minus
    for home use...

    OTOH, it seems almost every Dell nowadays has a wide screen, which I
    personally don't want (I Don't Care if my eyes once were "naturally
    calibrated" for a wide aspect ratio, now they are strictly 4:3... :P), but
    it might be a plus if you want to watch dvd's.

    IBM is the King of the trackpoint device, I don't even know if Dell has it
    on any of their models.

    The Precision M60 I looked at had a NVidia graphics card, I've heard
    somewhere that their (proprietary & closed) drivers are just a tad more
    supported on linux 3d-wise than the ATI equivalent, which is found in
    almost every other Dell and IBM. (I've never been able to get my old I7500
    with ATI Rage Mobility working with DRI or TV-out for instance, but then
    again it hasn't really mattered much either)

    This review & howto did very much to convince me to go for the Thinkpad:
    http://pmw.org/~gardnerj/Thinkpad/
    (He even got wireless to work!)

    I'm writing this on my current laptop, a 5yr old Dell Inspiron 7500 which
    has happily run Redhat, Xandros, Gentoo and Debian for years. But it *was*
    bought back in the days when Dell was all "in love with linux". Much might
    have happened in between...

    Regards,
    Kristian
    --
    Remove you-know-who to get proper email address...

  7. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    "z" writes:

    > Any recommendations?

    I like that the integrated pointing device on my Thinkpad has
    three buttons, which makes X11 much nicer.

    tim

  8. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    Le Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:25:55 GMT, z a écrit :

    > So IBM laptops work better with Linux than Dell laptops?
    >
    > I'm looking at the IBM T42p laptop (1 year warranty):
    > $2999 - IBM "family discount" (apparently not much).
    >
    > This has an 80 GB disk drive.

    hi !
    I have a T42P but my hd is "only" 60Gb
    but you have to know that the 80Gb HD is a 5400 rpm istead of 7200 rpm for
    the 60.

    To have space I choose external HD on usb. This is cheaper and bigger than
    inside disk.

    otherwise the T42P is perfect I am very happy with it !

  9. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    OK, how much difference might this make to someone?
    (I'm just wondering... maybe it hits just loading time and
    stuff that really could be better done on servers, or not?)

    wrote in message news:czbl7fwipm8h.rzkt70l9hf4k$.dlg@40tude.net...
    > Le Thu, 28 Oct 2004 06:25:55 GMT, z a écrit :
    >
    > > So IBM laptops work better with Linux than Dell laptops?
    > >
    > > I'm looking at the IBM T42p laptop (1 year warranty):
    > > $2999 - IBM "family discount" (apparently not much).
    > >
    > > This has an 80 GB disk drive.

    > hi !
    > I have a T42P but my hd is "only" 60Gb
    > but you have to know that the 80Gb HD is a 5400 rpm istead of 7200 rpm for
    > the 60.
    >
    > To have space I choose external HD on usb. This is cheaper and bigger than
    > inside disk.
    >
    > otherwise the T42P is perfect I am very happy with it !

  10. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    Kristian Berge Nessa wrote
    > it seems almost every Dell nowadays has a wide screen

    Short screen.

  11. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    In article <608b6569.0410280345.5bec2089@posting.google.com>,
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:
    > > IBM ThinkPads tend to work well with Linux.

    > I think a big reason for this is that IBM still develops most or all
    > of their BIOS code in-house, and they have test protocols in place
    > that verify that the BIOS actually meets standards instead of merely
    > working with Windows.

    AFAIK, Linux only uses the BIOS for booting.

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

    Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says,
    "What's wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

  12. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    "Hactar" typed:
    > Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:
    >>> IBM ThinkPads tend to work well with Linux.

    >> I think a big reason for this is that IBM still develops most or all
    >> of their BIOS code in-house, and they have test protocols in place
    >> that verify that the BIOS actually meets standards instead of merely
    >> working with Windows.

    > AFAIK, Linux only uses the BIOS for booting.

    In fact, it uses BIOS calls to load the kernel off of the disk.

    --
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan,
    ``Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to using Windows

  13. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    In article <2v9cmqF19c6seU1@uni-berlin.de>,
    Ayaz Ahmed Khan wrote:

    > >> I think a big reason for this is that IBM still develops most or all
    > >> of their BIOS code in-house, and they have test protocols in place
    > >> that verify that the BIOS actually meets standards instead of merely
    > >> working with Windows.

    > > AFAIK, Linux only uses the BIOS for booting.

    > In fact, it uses BIOS calls to load the kernel off of the disk.

    Sure, everything up until the kernel's loaded, decompressed and executing I
    consider "booting".

    --
    -eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
    SCORPIO: Get ready for an unexpected trip when you fall screaming

  14. Re: ibm versus dell...recommendations, comparisons?

    > >> I think a big reason for this is that IBM still develops most or all
    > >> of their BIOS code in-house, and they have test protocols in place

    > > AFAIK, Linux only uses the BIOS for booting.

    > In fact, it uses BIOS calls to load the kernel off of the disk.

    In FACT, ACPI makes more or less constant use of the BIOS. Depending
    on what you're doing, you might also tangle with the VBE.

    Having a properly-implemented BIOS is the difference between having a
    laptop that works with Linux vs. a laptop that can merely accept a
    Linux installation.

+ Reply to Thread